Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-01-2018, 11:17 AM   #31
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Never joined a book club in my life, but I use Goodreads pretty regularly. I don't use it for book discussion at all. It's just an easy way for me to see what people, whose tastes in books are well known to me, are reading. I'm familiar enough with their likes and dislikes to be able to use their ratings/reviews to help make decisions on whether or not I want to give a book/author a shot. I don't waste time with anonymous reviews, or the reviews of people whose tastes I'm not at least passingly familiar with.
It's a popular site, so I'm sure there are a lot of uses that I haven't considered. The book club types was just an example of people who I thought might use it. Goodreads is usually at the top of the list when I google a specific book, so I actually access it on a regular basis, just don't go specifically to the site in order to find new authors and the like.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 09:30 PM   #32
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Me Too! I never use Good Read. I don't see how listing every book I read benefits ANYONE. If I like a book enough to share it with others, I'll write about it here and cross post the review to that book's Amazon user review page.
Like DiapDealer said, the benefit to me is finding and looking through the books of people who have similar opinions as me for many books. It's the same reason why I like reading through the yearly challenge threads. There are some people who tend to have similar tastes as me and I want to see what else they are reading to get ideas.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2018, 10:37 PM   #33
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I never use Good Read.
Me neither. I don't see how reading a specific book is a "social experience." I don't even like the fact that I can't get rid of Good Read display on my Generation 8 Kindle Basic.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 10:44 PM   #34
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I casually use goodreads. I sign up for the free giveaways. Never have a chance to read hem since I have a zllion books to read but I am an ebook addict
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 10:47 PM   #35
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alohamora View Post
Anyone else use Amazon's reviews to choose books? I do, a lot. If there're enough reviews, I can get a pretty good view of whether or not I'll like a book.

When it comes to looking at books from an Author I am not familiar with I look at the reviews or at least the level of stars. I look for a 4 star review if I do not know the author. Now if a book has 1 to 3 stars and there are thousands of reviews I will definitely not get the book
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2018, 05:46 AM   #36
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Me neither. I don't see how reading a specific book is a "social experience."
For this Goodreads user, reading a book is definitely not a "social experience." But "Finding" a book to read is.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote