Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-19-2018, 11:30 PM   #1
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
Kindle vs Kobo

My Kindle Voyage decided it would not turn on this morning. I assume there are no magic tricks to turn it on. So a new ereader is needed. Yes it is charged.I have been using Kindles exclusively for years. I read 100 books a year, and my eyesight is terrible due to MS. I am leaning towards Kobo Aura One because of the size font I use. But faint at the price. I also have an extensive library of books, some on Amazon, some in my calibre library all are mobi. I dread the nightmare of converting and loading to the new ereader, will this be a problem? Can I download my Amazon books straight to the Kobo? Can I still buy and transfer books straight to the Kobo from Amazon?
Thre other bonus is I can use the Australian library with Kobo.

Sorry if this is confusing and I am sure I might be missing questions I need to ask. I am beyond frustrated as I currently have 2 broken ankles and my kindle was my sanity.

thanks for any help.

applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 03:08 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by applesauce View Post
My Kindle Voyage decided it would not turn on this morning. I assume there are no magic tricks to turn it on.
Have you tried the usual things? Held in the power button for at least 30s? Left it connected to a wall charger for 48h?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2018, 03:40 AM   #3
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's alive. My husband just kept increasing the hold down times. 60 seconds brought it back. It had shown fully charged so had not thought to try the 48hour charge.
It has made me seriously think about my future choices. I have pretty much decided it will be the kobo aura h2o as it will give me a bigger screen, without going to big for me to handle, The price is good as well. Kindle Voyage is what it will be until it dies, or becomes unreliable.

thank you
Old 03-20-2018, 05:34 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you have access to Overdrive via your local public library, you can borrow free ePub eBooks and read them with a Kobo but not a Kindle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 05:49 AM   #5
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Don't be so quick to make up your mind. You cannot download ebooks purchased at Amazon directly to your Kobo. As to your existing Kindle ebooks, virtually all of them are likely to have DRM. To read them you will need to remove the DRM and convert them to epub or kepub format, then download them, usually by usb cable, to your Kobo. All of this can be done in Calibre. If you have installed Apprentice Alf's plugins in Calibre then DRM has been automatically removed. If not you will need to do so and then re-import your book files. Similar for ebooks you buy in the future from Amazon.

Also, in my experience Amazon is usually cheaper for ebooks than Kobo and the Amazon store and ecosystem is clearly superior. Having said that I also own an H2O and it is a wonderful reader. But I rarely buy an ebook from Kobo. I also find myself reading more and more on my Oasis.

I'm not trying to discourage you from buying Kobo. But you should be aware of the downside when you already have a significant investment in the Amazon infrastructure.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2018, 08:26 AM   #6
steven168
Zealot
steven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 & 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you have access to Overdrive via your local public library, you can borrow free ePub eBooks and read them with a Kobo but not a Kindle.
i use Kindle and i borrow from Overdrive via my library epub and remove drm and convert.

Kindle is my only choice since i start use Kindle 5yr ago
steven168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:21 AM   #7
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
...I also have an extensive library of books, some on Amazon, some in my calibre library all are mobi. I dread the nightmare of converting and loading to the new ereader, will this be a problem? Can I download my Amazon books straight to the Kobo? Can I still buy and transfer books straight to the Kobo from Amazon?
I'm glad your Kindle is fixed. Not having to buy a new reader is always best.

But don't feel locked in by format. If you use Apprentice Alf's Calibre plug-in to remove you DRM, it is trivial to import Amazon books into Calibre and convert them. Converting a book from mobi or azw3 to epub takes something like under a minute a book. I own a Kobo and buy all my books from Amazon and it takes very little time.

There is not a way to directly send a book from Amazon to a Kobo that I know of.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:18 PM   #8
applesauce
Addict

Great advice guys. I am going to keep my options open. I plan to strip the DRM from my Amazon books and load them into Calibre. It will bring my library into order. Thus if I go Kobo in the future it will not be a nightmare to change. I love the hassle free library option for Kobo. My choice has to be a larger screen. I think I need to hold a Kindle Oasis, but think the shape will not work with my hands. The cost is also a factor, I would have to be crazy in love with it to pay that price, and I know it should not come into it but aesthetically I hate it. The Kobo Aura One is fantastic, but it is too much of a handful for me, my hands are too weak. The Kobo Aura H2O is a great size, with a bigger screen and has a good price point. Never know what new Kindle is around the corner, but I think it will be best to prepare for either. I know where I would jump now if forced, but my Kindle Voyage may go on ages now, or is it playing up like this a sign of it deteriorating? she needed a 20-second boot a month ago, other than that she has not missed a beat in 3 years.
Again thank you.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:37 PM   #9
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I plan to strip the DRM from my Amazon books and load them into Calibre.
Great decision. It means you will no longer be "locked-in" to any one "ecosystem". It also gives you some measure of protection from what may happen with any one vendor. At least the books you have bought are on your own hardware unencumbered. Like Zod I regard working with Calibre and Apprentice Alf as not only trivial but necessary. However, there are many people who are very happy being locked-in to one Vendor and don't want to do anything more than one-click at Amazon and open their ereader.

One practical tip. Most books delivered to the Voyage by Amazon are now in kfx format. Calibre only works well with KF8 files, which usually have .azw3 file extensions. The easiest way to get a kf8 format in your circumstances is to go to content and devices on Amazon and download the book concerned for transfer via usb. Of course, many if not all of the ebooks you have may well be kf8. Just look for the .azw3 extension.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:46 PM   #10
steven168
Zealot
steven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toyssteven168 shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
Great decision. It means you will no longer be "locked-in" to any one "ecosystem". It also gives you some measure of protection from what may happen with any one vendor. At least the books you have bought are on your own hardware unencumbered. Like Zod I regard working with Calibre and Apprentice Alf as not only trivial but necessary. However, there are many people who are very happy being locked-in to one Vendor and don't want to do anything more than one-click at Amazon and open their ereader.

One practical tip. Most books delivered to the Voyage by Amazon are now in kfx format. Calibre only works well with KF8 files, which usually have .azw3 file extensions. The easiest way to get a kf8 format in your circumstances is to go to content and devices on Amazon and download the book concerned for transfer via usb. Of course, many if not all of the ebooks you have may well be kf8. Just look for the .azw3 extension.

i choose to be lock in with kindle as kindle free dictionary are unbeatable by others.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:06 PM   #11
darryl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven168 View Post
i choose to be lock in with kindle as kindle free dictionary are unbeatable by others.
Many people do and I understand why. Do you realise, however, that you can have your cake and eat it to. I use my Oasis as Amazon intended, downloading books directly from Amazon to it in whatever format Amazon chooses. However, I also download a copy on my computer for "transfer by USB" and import it to Calibre, removing DRM. That way I have the best of both worlds. I can enjoy Amazon's excellent infrastructure as they intend it whilst also having a DRM free backup and avoiding lock-in.

Last edited by darryl; 03-20-2018 at 11:17 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:19 PM   #12
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
You could add an older Sony to your collection, have the same dictionary with a device for ePub – as a backup. (It has to be a Sony PRS-350, 650, 950 or T1, T2 or T3.) The earlier ones didn't have dictionaries.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:26 PM   #13
steven168
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
You could add an older Sony to your collection, have the same dictionary with a device for ePub – as a backup. (It has to be a Sony PRS-350, 650, 950 or T1, T2 or T3.) The earlier ones didn't have dictionaries.
i think for me is easier to order kindle as always have new model.

i can convert all my epub to use in kindle.

i use Calibre library for all my books.

older Sony hmm... does it mean no more selling?
Old 03-20-2018, 11:30 PM   #14
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have Kindles and Kobos (and Nooks). I prefer Kindles but I find it very handy to have both Kindles and Kobos.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 03:05 AM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
older Sony hmm... does it mean no more selling?
Only used ones. The advantage of the Sony would be that you could read ePub library books without converting them.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote