Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-23-2017, 11:15 AM   #16
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Why not try to replace the battery? It doesn't look very difficult. You'll just need a small screwdriver and a plastice spudger or guitar pick and patience.

Even if you buy a new e-book reader, you can have this as your backup reader. These 350s are indestructible and small, so it will be a good reader for those traveling circumstances where you might need a more rugged device.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 12:10 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But remember, the 350 can freeze, be really slow, or refuse to load the eBook with eBooks that have high-resolution images like the cover. A lot of eBooks these days have at least a high-resolution cover and sometimes a high-resolution title image.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2017, 05:43 PM   #18
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The OP didn't report any such problems, just a battery charging problem. I've had none of those problems either, with more than 100 books on each of my three 350s. If I did, I would remove that book and/or fix the cover/CSS. Seems more earth- and pocketbook-friendly to trash electrons than a great device.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:44 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
The OP didn't report any such problems, just a battery charging problem. I've had none of those problems either, with more than 100 books on each of my three 350s. If I did, I would remove that book and/or fix the cover/CSS. Seems more earth- and pocketbook-friendly to trash electrons than a great device.
The 350 is not great these days. It's like having a smaller 650 which I have and it's not wonderful. Things change and it's time to move on. I know the 650 rather well. So unless the 350 is different in some way, then it's not wonderful any longer.

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-23-2017 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:49 PM   #20
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
I just got a 350. It is wonderful! Not liking the bulk of the lighted cover though.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2017, 08:34 PM   #21
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
Touch screens suck. They do not work for me at all. I can't tap or swipe correctly and never could get the hang of it. That's why I got rid of the Kobo Touch that I had.

I also get fingerprints on an eink screen so a screen protector is a must to make the screen easier to clean.

If you use Calibre, you can convert EPUB to whatever it is Kindles like and sideload books that way. At least it's a workaround until you get a new reader that likes EPUB.
Kobo Touchs and Minis used cheapo infrared touch screen tech. The newer ones all use capacitive screens like a smartphone. They work much better.

I'm willing to bet your screen protector caused more visible finger prints. The coating is different than what's on tablets and smartphones. If the screen protector doesn't have the same coating your going to get finger prints.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:47 PM   #22
jj2me
Guru

The 350 is arguably the sturdiest e-Ink reader ever made. The combination of small size and metal construction make it almost immune to torquing, which is likely the cause of most screen failures. The 350 fits in many of my shirts' front pockets. Those unique qualities of rugged portability are not matched by the 650 (which I've never been tempted to buy) or any other reader. I have a PW2 and appreciate its qualities too, but will not part with my take-anywhere 350s (and they just won't break!).
Old 07-24-2017, 06:53 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
The 350 is arguably the sturdiest e-Ink reader ever made. The combination of small size and metal construction make it almost immune to torquing, which is likely the cause of most screen failures. The 350 fits in many of my shirts' front pockets. Those unique qualities of rugged portability are not matched by the 650 (which I've never been tempted to buy) or any other reader. I have a PW2 and appreciate its qualities too, but will not part with my take-anywhere 350s (and they just won't break!).
Wrong. Any Reader with a glass substrate can break.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=114190

There's an example of a 350 with a broken screen. So don't be overly confident just because the 350 is not made with plastic. It can still break.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:26 PM   #24
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
I also get fingerprints on an eink screen so a screen protector is a must to make the screen easier to clean.
With almost all but the last generation, a screen protector would make troubles to the touch screen - the IR net would be at best diffracted. The newest generations have capacitive screens and a screen protector works better therewith.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:25 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

But you don't need a screen protector with eInk screens.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:16 PM   #26
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by janzen View Post
I agree with Hemmi. Touch screens suck.

I recently got a 2nd hand Sony PRS-T1 for cheap and I am very happy with it.
That's all depending! I have some chronic pain from an old RSI injury, I think *buttons* are awful! They cause pain because I read a lot and all those button presses add up fast!

Nothing but touch screen for me!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:40 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by janzen View Post
I agree with Hemmi. Touch screens suck.

I recently got a 2nd hand Sony PRS-T1 for cheap and I am very happy with it.
The good thing about the T1 is you can ignore the page turn buttons in favor of the touch screen. The page turn buttons are in a great place where they can be very easily ignored like they should be.