Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-01-2008, 07:03 AM   #16
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
This could be the start of a lovely discussion, but one best had in person, after a few drinks..
I'm drunk. Whaddaya wanna know?

Cheers,
Marc (It's all clear to me through this bottle of Bombay Sapphire - the universe is blue)
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 07:51 AM   #17
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
mm, bombay sapphire... make mine a gimlet.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2008, 07:52 PM   #18
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I'm more of a Coconut rum and cola guy.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 02:24 PM   #19
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV
I'll take amaretto. Or a pink squirrel.

No really --- I didn't throw that in just for the "squirrel" factor --- it's a real drink name!! And it's my favorite. White creme de cacao and pink almond noyeaux (or something like that -- it's been too long since I've had one). Oh, and some cream.

Yummmmmm.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 02:27 PM   #20
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Whisky, water. No "e". Translation: Scotch.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2008, 07:55 PM   #21
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
No worries, everybody. A round of Zany Carter Deluxes coming right up.

Cheers,
Marc (I only half-listen....what?)
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:59 AM   #22
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Friday means that there are only three more work days until Monday.
Ah, but on the bright side; on Monday there is only one day to another work day...

Quote:
Whisky, water. No "e". Translation: Scotch.
He's learning...

Edit: whoops, no , water and whisky don't mix...
Whatever next!
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:50 AM   #23
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I emphatically disagree. A small dash of water releases the aromatics in Scotch (or any whisky, whiskey, bourbon, rye, etc.). It's very much like mixing Scotch and air, when you sip/slurp a nice mouthful. A much fuller aroma and body then just gulping down a mouthful. Note that I'm not talking about completely diluting the glass with water. Scotch neat, water on the side. A small kersplunk of water... ahh.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:57 AM   #24
GeoffC
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I emphatically disagree. A small dash of water releases the aromatics in Scotch (or any whisky, whiskey, bourbon, rye, etc.). It's very much like mixing Scotch and air, when you sip/slurp a nice mouthful. A much fuller aroma and body then just gulping down a mouthful. Note that I'm not talking about completely diluting the glass with water. Scotch neat, water on the side. A small kersplunk of water... ahh.
Wash your mouth out...
Old 06-03-2008, 12:32 PM   #25
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

http://www.scotchdoc.com/tsd/ask/index.html

My favorite paragraph from his article:

I strongly recommend that the Scotch single malt be "approached" in the same manner that one would a member of the opposite sex that may intrigue you. An open mind, patience, sincere attention to detail and an opportunity for it to reveal and exhibit its unique special qualities may disclose an "individual" whose company you can enjoy on many occasions.

Now this is a fight worth having, Geoff, over SEVERAL snifters. I'm starting with Oban. Pick your weapon.

Last edited by Taylor514ce; 06-03-2008 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:41 PM   #26
GeoffC

Quote:
http://www.scotchdoc.com/tsd/ask/index.html

My favorite paragraph from his article:

I strongly recommend that the Scotch single malt be "approached" in the same manner that one would a member of the opposite sex that may intrigue you. An open mind, patience, sincere attention to detail and an opportunity for it to reveal and exhibit its unique special qualities may disclose an "individual" whose company you can enjoy on many occasions.

Now this is a fight worth having, Geoff, over SEVERAL snifters. I'm starting with Oban. Pick your weapon.
Okay, so you are saying we should drop a dram or two of water on the head of a member of the opposite sex, when we meet them?

I'll take your Oban, and I'll raise you a Glenfiddich...
Old 06-03-2008, 12:47 PM   #27
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

Hey, whatever works... I think he's really suggesting that a fine whisky, like a fine woman, needs to be approached with sincerity and finesse. With a single malt scotch, that means discovering the right amount of water to bring out the best bouquet and fullest flavor curve.

And if we're doing Speysides, then I trump your Glenfiddich with an Ardmore.

Last edited by Taylor514ce; 06-03-2008 at 12:55 PM.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:15 PM   #28
GeoffC

Does one add water to whisky or not? Like many emotive subjects, it is one that is often sullied by prejudice and misinformation. These are some hints about whether or not to add water to whisky.

Firstly, drinking whisky is a personal thing and no-one should be able to preach about what is right and what is wrong. If someone likes their particular spirit with mixers, then fine. Many whisky lovers, however, shake their heads in disapproval if someone adds water to a standard single malt expression. Should the whisky drinker try this with, say, a rare and expensive Ardbeg or Macallan, the disapproval may turn into apoplexy.

I'll see you with a very fine Edradour, and fold my hand...

Now...Guinness and Champagne make a fine pairing, as does Guinness and Cider...Takes me back to the good old days at college....
Old 06-03-2008, 01:23 PM   #29
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.

What?! You're bowing out? Don't you think that spirited (ha!) dialog between two aficionados rather adds to the overall enjoyment? I will not settle for "hey, do it your way" mamby-pambyism.

Everyone should be able to preach about everything, in my book. (My book is entitled, btw, "I'm right and you're wrong". I haven't had much success publishing it yet. Something about too high of an iron content. Whatever.)
Old 06-03-2008, 01:30 PM   #30
GeoffC

Quote:
What?! You're bowing out? Don't you think that spirited (ha!) dialog between two aficionados rather adds to the overall enjoyment? I will not settle for "hey, do it your way" mamby-pambyism.

Everyone should be able to preach about everything, in my book. (My book is entitled, btw, "I'm right and you're wrong". I haven't had much success publishing it yet. Something about too high of an iron content. Whatever.)
You got a problem with that iron-thing? Is it enriching your blood too much?
I'm not bowing out, gracefully; just all this tasting is making me thirsty.
I still think I'm right...

Tags
clouds of enlightenment, unutterable silliness