Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-09-2018, 11:41 PM   #16
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Snow View Post
How do you shift your titles from one library to another? (I only have one library so don't know how you would do this)
Select the books you want to copy, right click, Copy to library, select the destination library with copy or copy and delete.

I run the Find Duplicates plugin after checking title/author but before copying to the main library to cut down on the number of duplicate books without having to dig through the copy report.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:20 AM   #17
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Select the books you want to copy, right click, Copy to library, select the destination library with copy or copy and delete.

I run the Find Duplicates plugin after checking title/author but before copying to the main library to cut down on the number of duplicate books without having to dig through the copy report.
I use both procedures.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:58 AM   #18
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I use both procedures.
Me too

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:40 AM   #19
Chris_Snow
Zealot
Chris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kobo glo
Just noticted there was a page 2 of this thread - doh!.

I can see the sense to doing it this way, but I think I would find two libraries harder to manage. Now I have a shortcut key to clear the spreadsheet makes it really easy. I also have a "BooksAdded1DayAgo" VL that I edit to make it longer if needed. That's what is so cool about calibre - lots of different ways of doing things.
Chris_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 04:25 AM   #20
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Chris_Snow - I started using an Intake library when I was doing the initial load of 30,000 PD documents. Initially I was adding a batch of documents into the target library which I figured I could 'sort out' in a day, somewhere between 50 and 200. I found that awkward, so I asked how other people handled the initial load. It was theducks who suggested using an Intake library - probably the best idea he ever gave me

Amongst other things I didn't want to pollute my target libraries with the various administrivia artefacts I use in 'sorting out' new books; such as an Intake Status column, dummy books to hold controlled vocabularies etc, and I wanted to use different View Manager settings in the Intake and target libraries. I also discovered I prefer working with the inter-library duplicates search of the Find Duplicates plugin than the within-library duplicate search.

Hopefully this post may be pertinent to future readers of the thread.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 05-11-2018 at 04:28 AM. Reason: clarity
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 01:17 PM   #21
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
You really don't MANAGE 2 Libraries.
Intake is just the place you 'unbox' new books and prep them for addition to the Library. AKA the backroom at your Local Library (Yes, I worked in my school library when I was younger). This was where the checkout pocket was attached, library name stamped in specified locations...

In Calibre, you need to clean the embedded metadata to conform to your style rules (Mine is Mixed case, reduced redundant tag variations, remove Author name from TAGS ...).
In the end, the book is 'shelved' in the uses Library (AKA front of house)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:17 PM   #22
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I can't say much that hasn't already been said. The separate libraries make managing new books a lot easier for me. Much as BetterRed, I have information in Intake library view which are not needed for the main library and would only clutter the screen. I do like theduck's backroom and library metaphor.

This may not work for everyone but it saves me time and effort.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:55 PM   #23
Chris_Snow
Zealot
Chris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipseChris_Snow can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kobo glo
Wow...I can see others use their libraries so much differently than I do (a good thing). I deal with all additions to the library as single author imports (many times only one book at a time). This allows me to tweak all the stuff I want at that time (it'll never get done later). However, I do usually do all my final tweaks to the presentation of that book within calibre after I have read it - like correcting the myriad editing mistakes in the books (some are really bad - makes you think they never had a editor - and I'm talking mainstream books from mainstream publishers). I have a large PB library as well and compared to the ebook format, they are really well presented - it's like they don't care about putting effort into ebooks!

Thanks for the comments. Always helpful. I like the term intake library. I must admit though, I'm so used to doing it like I do that changing it would perhaps present difficulties.
Chris_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote