Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-18-2013, 06:43 AM   #1
sergeyvl12
ebook fan
sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 301+, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Onyx Boox A62, Kindle Touch
Kobo files monitor

Hi!

File monitor is a simple tool that allows to track opening of the specific files (e.g. png icons) and run specific commands in response. For today it seems that is is the only way to run shell scripts and programs on kobo.

Earlier it was the part of KoboLauncher, but I decided to improve it and make the separate installation.

You can download it (including the sources) here:

http://pbchess.vlasovsoft.net/files/kobo/fmon.zip

Installation:

Just install KoboRoot.tgz

Adding custom commands:

1. Copy launcher png icon to the kobo flash root directory (e.g. reboot.png)
2. Create the script for this icon in the .kobo/fmon

Example

reboot.sh: (script for reboot.png):

Code:
$root/.kobo/fmon/fmon $root/reboot.png $root/.kobo/KoboLauncher/utils/reboot.sh >> $root/.kobo/fmon/fmon.log.txt 2>&1 &
Example

launcher.sh (script for starting KoboLauncher):

Code:
$root/.kobo/fmon/fmon $root/launcher.png $root/.kobo/KoboLauncher/KoboLauncher.sh >> $root/.kobo/fmon/fmon.log.txt 2>&1 &
IMPORTANT:

1. on_start.sh is executed from on_animator.sh when onboard flash is already mounted. There is almost no risk to spoil your kobo boot process editing on_start.sh because on_animator.sh is a background process.

have fun!

Last edited by sergeyvl12; 07-26-2013 at 08:13 AM.
sergeyvl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:49 AM   #2
cgm999
Enthusiast
cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.

Device: kobo
Hello,

Thank You!
Could you please provide the source file also and how you compile (or Makefile) ? That way we can customize it as needed
cgm999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2013, 06:51 AM   #3
sergeyvl12
ebook fan
sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgm999 View Post
Hello,

Thank You!
Could you please provide the source file also and how you compile (or Makefile) ? That way we can customize it as needed
cgm999,

All the files are in the archive (link is in the first post). Just run build_kobo.sh to compile.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:55 AM   #4
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
Great! I am going to try it.
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:55 AM   #5
cgm999
Enthusiast
cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.cgm999 knows the way to San Jose.

Device: kobo
My bad - just seen that . sergeyvl12 10x again!!
cgm999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2013, 07:10 AM   #6
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
Thanks, works great!

I have copied all files to the fmon directory, you wrote "fmon executable", did you mean just the file called fmon? Because I guess the etc folder is also needed...
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:30 AM   #7
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS64 View Post
Because I guess the etc folder is also needed...
This is taken care of by 1. Install KoboRoot.tgz.

Thank you, Sergey!
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:40 AM   #8
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is there any special reason for putting
Code:
 if [ -e /mnt/onboard/.kobo/on_start.sh ]; then
 /mnt/onboard/.kobo/on_start.sh &
inside the loop, rather than after it? I am asking, because I am trying to familiarize myself with linux and bash.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:58 AM   #9
sergeyvl12
ebook fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS64 View Post
Thanks, works great!
did you mean just the file called fmon?
Yes, fmon file
Old 07-18-2013, 08:04 AM   #10
sergeyvl12
ebook fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
Is there any special reason for putting
Code:
 if [ -e /mnt/onboard/.kobo/on_start.sh ]; then
 /mnt/onboard/.kobo/on_start.sh &
inside the loop, rather than after it? I am asking, because I am trying to familiarize myself with linux and bash.
Because it is an infinite loop and kobo animator just killed at the end of the main startup script rcS. I've made it inside the loop because I need to wait for flash is mounted. on_animator.sh starts a bit earlier mount flash command.

Another advantage is that on_animator.sh is not changed in the latest FWs. So, there is no need to make the separate install for each firmware.

But ... you need to install file monitor again after you update FW because kobo uses the full update and on_animator.sh will be overwritten.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:23 AM   #11
tshering
Wizard

Thank you, Sergey!
Thank you also for the code. I just compiled it in order to test whether I have the tool chain correctly installed.

Last edited by tshering; 07-18-2013 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:41 PM   #12
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Let the .png creation begin! Thanks sooo... much, Sergey!

Now we can have both Sergey's Launcher with USBnet and pchess, as well as Giorgio's Koreader port. And Markismus might even package it all together for us. These are good times, for us all.

Perhaps a contest for the Koreader.png? I can't wait to see what Markismus adds to his .rar. Well, lets see, where did I put my copy of Gimp2?

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 07-18-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:23 PM   #13
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Markismus:

I downloaded this image and sized it into a .png matching Sergey's original dimensions, you could use it if you were to add the "Kobo Files Monitor" to your .rar (Hint, hint...) to
have a Koreader launching image. (You can right click on the Attached Image and save it on your computer.)

Luck;
Ken
Attached Images

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 07-18-2013 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:22 AM   #14
Ken Maltby
Wizard

I installed the Kobo Files Monitor and it is working as expected. I used the image I posted to launch Koreader, which it does but for some reason it is not opening in the Koreader's File Manager but instead it opens in a book. Don't understand why the same bash script commands are having a different result, now. I suspect that I need to correct the folder I an in to call the script commands. In any case the the Files Monitor is working.

Luck;
Ken

I made the needed corrections (thanks to cgm999), I needed to add the proper argument in an .sh file.

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 07-19-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:23 AM   #15
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
@Ken

I am not quite there yet. I just got up and I am still enjoying my working Aura.
I am a bit miffed that I can't use my step approach myself, since the KoboLaucher changed into fmon and cgm999 put in a new koreader version.

I don't think you have to resize pictures. I don't even know if it should be png-files. I'll try and see.

Anyway I'll document the steps taken and the files copied and drop it in a box.
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote