Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-10-2013, 11:04 PM   #16
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Just Completed the upgrade and was very happy with the result. The kobo recognizes both the upgraded memory and the external memory giving the device a total of 48 gigs of memory, the external card is 16 gigs and the internal card is now 32 gigs. The memory is class 10 for both int and ext memory. Both memory cards are Lexar memory. The 32 gig is on sale at Staples for 24.95, it includes a usb memory reader for the card as well. The regular price of the card is 69.95$ca

http://www.staples.ca/en/Lexar-32GB-...6_2-CA_1_20001

Just for a heads up this is available in Canada and is on sale currently (April 10, 2013). I do not know the price of the memory any where else.
I played with the internal memory upgrade and have found that I needed to be selective with the SD card I used. I originally tried a Kingston class 10 16GB card but found that my Glo was noticeably slower than the original card.

So I had fun with testing various uSD cards and found the best one I had on hand was a Sandisk class 4 16GB card. Crystal DiskMark said it was much faster (1.81MB/s vs 0.019MB/s)* than the Kingston on small block random writes and 1.5x (3.1MB/s vs 2.03MB/s) faster on small block random reads. With that card, the Kobo is back to what seems to me to be the same speed as the original 2GB card.

* I ran the write test 4 times before I accepted the results. 95x was hard to believe.

Makes sense in a way since the original thread where I ran into the discussion of SD card speeds was installing CyanogenMod 7 on a Nook booting from the external SD card slot.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:09 AM   #17
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sample speed test results

This is a response to a message about what the results from my SD card tests showed so here's two images from a 16GB Class 4 and a 8GB class 4 card.

Hopefully, they'll show what I mean about the odd speeds for small blocks. These are two cards that showed similar speeds until you look at the 4K block writes. These came from using the internal reader in my laptop with the uSD cards in an adapter.

Regards,
David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8GB_internal_reader.png
Views:	967
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	104186   Click image for larger version

Name:	16GB_internala.png
Views:	1000
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	104187  
Advert
Old 04-11-2013, 12:52 AM   #18
Gergith
Enthusiast
Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
When you do this upgrade a window will pop up informing you that the original kobo memory card needs to be formatted, do not format this card!!!. This msg is due to the fact that the active partion of your original kobo memory card is not windows compatible. Make sure you dismiss the msg so that you do not accidently format your kobo memory card or you will be looking to download a new image. Again pay attention to the message that pops up so that you don't accidently format your original kobo memory card when you do this upgrade.
I don't know how to phrase this reply sounding politely. So please understand I don't mean this with malice, but I DID write that into the guide.

At near the beginning of step 2.:
"Now slide the SD card out very carefully.
Load it up in your PC.
Ignore/dismiss ALL prompts. DON'T format it."

This is why this guide isn't for everyone. It requires lots of reading and full comprehension of what's read.

Again, I don't mean to belittle you, I just don't know what to write other than "I know" ;-)

Besides, there is NO logical reason why you should WRITE to the 2gig stock microSD card... It wold probably be a best idea to only put it into your computer in the SD adapter set to lock/read only, thus not even allowing you to format...
Gergith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:07 PM   #19
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gergith View Post
I don't know how to phrase this reply sounding politely. So please understand I don't mean this with malice, but I DID write that into the guide.

At near the beginning of step 2.:
"Now slide the SD card out very carefully.
Load it up in your PC.
Ignore/dismiss ALL prompts. DON'T format it."

This is why this guide isn't for everyone. It requires lots of reading and full comprehension of what's read.

Again, I don't mean to belittle you, I just don't know what to write other than "I know" ;-)

Besides, there is NO logical reason why you should WRITE to the 2gig stock microSD card... It wold probably be a best idea to only put it into your computer in the SD adapter set to lock/read only, thus not even allowing you to format...
Your point is very vague and does not provide information. you should state exactly what is happening and not just say dismiss any prompts. I pointed out important information that needed to be clarified. The failing is definatly you not me for Clarifying the nature of the prompts.
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 01:40 PM   #20
Sound
Sound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitySound has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Your point is very vague and does not provide information. you should state exactly what is happening and not just say dismiss any prompts. I pointed out important information that needed to be clarified. The failing is definatly you not me for Clarifying the nature of the prompts.
No, this is the developer's corner. Not the newbie corner. "Ignore/dismiss ALL prompts. DON'T format it." is sufficient for the target audience.
Sound is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2013, 03:02 PM   #21
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound View Post
No, this is the developer's corner. Not the newbie corner. "Ignore/dismiss ALL prompts. DON'T format it." is sufficient for the target audience.
Personally, I would agree with removing any ambiguity that can be removed. While quite a few of the people who read this forum are indeed experienced, there are quite a few whom are not.

Regards,
David
Old 04-11-2013, 06:21 PM   #22
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook, Kobo Clara HD
Thanks for the great guide Gergith
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #23
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
I have no intention to mod mine, but must say your guide is awesome.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:35 PM   #24
Gergith
Enthusiast
Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What is your actual problem?

That I'm too ambiguous when I say:
"Ignore/dismiss ALL prompts. DON'T format it."

Which words do you not understand? I first say to ignore/dismiss all prompts.. ALL prompts. To format, to fly to the moon, to drive a car.. ALL prompts, cancel/dismiss them...

THAT should be enough on it's own... But instead, I have a second sentence EXPLICITLY stating "DON'T format it.". Did you not understand that sentence?

Did I not hold your hand tight enough during this guide?

If you do not have the technical skills to complete this mod, you shouldn't... I state that within my guide. This isn't a learners guide, this is for people who will do this even if I DIDN'T write the guide.

Logically speaking, WHY would you think it would be ok to format the SD card that came with your ebook?

Even if you weren't 100% certain if you could or not, why would you do it?

The ambiguity exists before I wrote the guide whether you could just throw a plain SD card in, or if you have to clone it....
Within my guide I clear up that ambiguity by stating in english "DON'T format it"... Should I have written that 5 times, bold, in the largest font size possible?

And to say that I don't clarify the nature of the prompts is fallacious....
"Ignore/dismiss ALL prompts. DON'T format it." within that quote, you'll notice the second sentence actually literally removes the ambiguity in regards to which prompts... It's not just ANY or ALL prompts, which ALL should be enough as ALL is EVERY... but the second sentence clarifies specifically that the Format prompts are the ones SPECIFICALLY to avoid... Not just ALL, but specifically DON'T format, which again is still within a subcatagory of "all prompts"...

To not read my guide fully, point out something already in my guide, and then claim it's MY fault for not spoon feeding my guide to you is RIDICULOUS!

If you don't like my guide, please leave and stop posting as you're not actually pointing out information... Your trying to convey information ALREADY IN MY GUIDE, as if I didn't have it in there simply because you don't have the reading comprehension level to actually understand what I've said.

I guess the best thing I could ask would be; Did I REALLY need to take a picture of me hitting cancel to the format prompt?

Were you just looking at the pictures and ignoring the written guide?

P.S.... Where's your less ambiguous guide?

[/END RANT]

Sorry... I just can't deal with people not actually being thankful for something, and instead demand I IMPROVE a free guide I wrote that wasn't actually wrong.

Thank you VERY much for everyone else for the positive feedback

All my friends in real life can't understand why I made this instead of just selling the moded Kobo on craigslist and kijiji ;-)
Old 04-13-2013, 01:34 AM   #25
Gergith
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I played with the internal memory upgrade and have found that I needed to be selective with the SD card I used. I originally tried a Kingston class 10 16GB card but found that my Glo was noticeably slower than the original card.

So I had fun with testing various uSD cards and found the best one I had on hand was a Sandisk class 4 16GB card. Crystal DiskMark said it was much faster (1.81MB/s vs 0.019MB/s)* than the Kingston on small block random writes and 1.5x (3.1MB/s vs 2.03MB/s) faster on small block random reads. With that card, the Kobo is back to what seems to me to be the same speed as the original 2GB card.

* I ran the write test 4 times before I accepted the results. 95x was hard to believe.

Makes sense in a way since the original thread where I ran into the discussion of SD card speeds was installing CyanogenMod 7 on a Nook booting from the external SD card slot.

Regards,
David

This is great information!

I've been meaning to use pages like this:
XDA Forum post

I want to acquire the fastest one I can find. I don't necessarily mind the wait time, but it would be very nice if it didn't exist or was minimized.

I think I wouldn't care at ALL if the Kobo had an open directly to my page from powered off setting.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:40 AM   #26
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post

Regards,
David
Hmm good information. I did some looking and noticed that even though cards may be class 10, there is a long gap between speeds in Class 10 cards. Varying as you suggested to some extremes where the Class 10 cards barely make the min specs. And there are a lot of class 10 cards making high claims in speed but failing to achieve them. That said I am sure the different card readers and devices have certain limitations on them and I am sure the Kobo devices are no different. And to be fair I wonder what specific cards work best for the Kobo. Thanks for your insight btw.

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:00 PM   #27
Cyphox
Connoisseur
Cyphox exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverCyphox exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverCyphox exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverCyphox exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverCyphox exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverCyphox exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverCyphox exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverCyphox exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverCyphox exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverCyphox exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverCyphox exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 4 NT
lol, i cant believe kobo just puts a microsd-card as internal memory in the glo :-D

great guide, im very happy with my Kobo Glo 16GB now :-)

i also opened up my touch, but sadly the memory seems to be soldered :-(
Cyphox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:45 PM   #28
Gergith
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyphox View Post
lol, i cant believe kobo just puts a microsd-card as internal memory in the glo :-D

I know eh? this TOTALLY floored me that it would simply just be an internal slot.

Perhaps there is a cost benefit somewhere along the way either in terms of refurbishing/repairs, or just the cost of microsd vs onboard memory of the same type.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:41 PM   #29
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Is access from the external card noticeably slower than from the internal? Just curious. I'm considering doing the modification (btw I'm a newbie and I totally got the notion of not formatting the card, from the original post)... anyway... considering doing the mod when the warranty runs out. Don't want to risk it before that.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:01 PM   #30
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Is access from the external card noticeably slower than from the internal? Just curious. I'm considering doing the modification (btw I'm a newbie and I totally got the notion of not formatting the card, from the original post)... anyway... considering doing the mod when the warranty runs out. Don't want to risk it before that.
Once I have accessed the book from the SD card the first time, I don't notice any slowness. The first time, the Kobo generates the 3 images on the fly which takes a bit longer. The newest firmware seems to be storing those images on the SD card so next time I factory reset, I hope not to notice that slowness on the first opening or displaying on the carousel.

One note is that the card I'm using in my uSD card slot was picked as the best of the cards I owned in the small read/write test using Crystal DiskMark. See an earlier post in this thread with two images of just how different SD card results can be. What my experience indicates is that the class of the SD card is a useless item as very often the higher speed cards have pathetic small block performance. A Lexar Class 10 card from a digital camera gave me the results in the image below. I worked great in the camera where 6-8MB files were being written. In a Touch, it was pathetic.

Regards,
David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lexar8GB_C10_internal.png
Views:	768
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	104571  

Last edited by DNSB; 04-18-2013 at 07:03 PM. Reason: typos... what else is old?

Tags
glo, glo memory upgrade mod, hack, increase, kobo, sdcard