Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-18-2013, 03:53 PM   #1
ah-
Connoisseur
ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kobo Touch
Kobo Tweaks

Since I recently updated my Touch to 2.4.0 and missed my beloved adblocker, I fixed up Kobo Tweaks and got it running again. Many thanks to ikarus9999 for the updates for firmware 2.x, they were really helpful.

It's still a bit rough, but I think it's already useful and I'd rather release this now than letting it rot away on my harddrive again.

So, what's new?
  • Improved plugin loading. It should work with SD cards and in the future also load automatically. It actually already worked automatically and is already loaded on boot, but Kobo improved the home screen so you need to open something and go back to the homescreen before anything there is changed.
  • Nice GUI to setup everything. I actually had this sitting around for more than half a year, but now it's actually in there . Due to the new homescreen behavior you might have to reboot for now to see some changes. Also, the menu customization is yet to come.
  • Major code cleanup. This is probably not very visible to you but means that it's fun again to work on it .

I took the great idea of custom commands from the other plugin, but implemented it using QtScript, since that's already included with Qt. This means that the syntax slightly changed:
Quote:
[CustomCommands]
Reboot=tweaks.executeSystemCmd(\"busybox reboot\")
Note that you have to escape the " like this: \”. Oh, and the filename changed to kobotweaks.ini to avoid a name clash.

There's more to come as I find some more time to work on it. I'm especially thinking about some way to better integrate the weather display, chess, etc. applications with nickel. Maybe it's possible to start an external application and display just a white (or black) screen so it can use the display (but keep nickel running) until some signal is received that the application terminated.

Also, the Qt based applications should be able to integrate directly with nickel just as the settings do. Oh yeah, and about the settings, I have no idea how well they fit on the larger screens. I designed them before the Glo even existed.

Download: http://andreas.heider.io/kobo/tweaks-13-02-18.zip
The source is at https://github.com/ah-/koboplugins
ah- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
clsdclsd
Zealot
clsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five words

Thank you! It's great to be able to get rid of the ads and start sergeyvl12's games and apps again :-)
clsdclsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2013, 06:16 PM   #3
koenieee
Enthusiast
koenieee doesn't litterkoenieee doesn't litterkoenieee doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo
You guys are talking about ads? I don't have anything (yet) on my Kobo Glo, when did that started?
koenieee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:23 AM   #4
clsdclsd
Zealot
clsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five words

Quote:
Originally Posted by koenieee View Post
You guys are talking about ads? I don't have anything (yet) on my Kobo Glo, when did that started?
Self-advertisement (Bookstore, recommendations, wishlist...)
clsdclsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:31 AM   #5
eXistenZ
Connoisseur
eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Kobo GLO
Hi guys
First of all thanks to ah- for his work, then a question: any clue on how to install it for dummies?
I'm relatively new in kobo word, but it seems to me that this plug-in's installation is different from the IKARUS9999's one.
eXistenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2013, 05:48 AM   #6
Simba51
Simba51 has a spectacular aura aboutSimba51 has a spectacular aura aboutSimba51 has a spectacular aura aboutSimba51 has a spectacular aura aboutSimba51 has a spectacular aura aboutSimba51 has a spectacular aura aboutSimba51 has a spectacular aura aboutSimba51 has a spectacular aura aboutSimba51 has a spectacular aura aboutSimba51 has a spectacular aura aboutSimba51 has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Glo & Kobo Mini
I discover that tweaks, very interesting. Is there a doc on orders to put in the kobotweaks.ini. I test it on a Kobo glo, Tweaks settings in the "home menu", "Change the contents of the tools menu" does not work, nothing happens.
Simba51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:40 AM   #7
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXistenZ View Post
Hi guys
First of all thanks to ah- for his work, then a question: any clue on how to install it for dummies?
I'm relatively new in kobo word, but it seems to me that this plug-in's installation is different from the IKARUS9999's one.
can I add my plea, too: I'd just be tempted to put the .tgz in the .kobo directory, but I am afraid I'd mess things up!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:47 AM   #8
linux1999
linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
can I add my plea, too: I'd just be tempted to put the .tgz in the .kobo directory, but I am afraid I'd mess things up!
That's what I did and it worked fine. My plea is for a downloadable
kobotweaks.ini
because I tried many different syntaxes and stuff but I can't get even the simple reboot or frontlight to work. I know it must be something stupid, but after several tries I got tired of trying ;-)
linux1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:47 AM   #9
magphil
Connoisseur
magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!magphil , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3, Kobo glow
Is there any way to get the chapter progress bar back ?

Or is it missing because Kobo does not update chapter location while reading since 2.3.1 ?
magphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:45 AM   #10
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXistenZ View Post
Hi guys
Just place the KoboRoot.tgz file in your Kobo's .kobo folder. It will install automatically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linux1999 View Post
My plea is for a downloadable
kobotweaks.ini
because I tried many different syntaxes and stuff but I can't get even the simple reboot or frontlight to work. I know it must be something stupid, but after several tries I got tired of trying ;-)
From the first post, here's the syntax for kobotweaks.ini:
Code:
[CustomCommands]
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:26 AM   #11
eXistenZ
Connoisseur
eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.eXistenZ for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Kobo GLO
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinShort View Post
Just place the KoboRoot.tgz file in your Kobo's .kobo folder. It will install automatically.
sorry my unarchiving software automatically decompressed also the tgz showing me directly the usr folder, that's why my previous post.
eXistenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:15 PM   #12
ah-
Connoisseur
ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.ah- knows the square root of minus one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magphil View Post
Is there any way to get the chapter progress bar back ?

Or is it missing because Kobo does not update chapter location while reading since 2.3.1 ?
Not at the moment but it might come back some time. I haven't looked at it yet to be honest.
ah- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #13
linux1999
linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.linux1999 is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinShort View Post
From the first post, here's the syntax for kobotweaks.ini:
Code:
[CustomCommands]
First thing I tried and it didn't work... now it does after a simple copy and paste... clearly I did some stupid mistake the first time. And now even the frontlight command I made works... yuppy :-)
linux1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:15 PM   #14
Fortron
Fortron began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Just got my Kobo Glo and updated it to 2.4.0.
Next found out about this thread and installed Kobo Tweaks,
everything worked out just fine.
Only one question remains:
How can I start using sergeyvl12's games and apps?

I looked at the [CustomCommands] settings in kobotweaks.ini
but i'm not sure what to put there in order to start KoboLauncher.sh

Anyone knows how to?
Fortron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #15
Foosho
Foosho began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortron View Post
Just got my Kobo Glo and updated it to 2.4.0.

How can I start using sergeyvl12's games and apps?

I looked at the [CustomCommands] settings in kobotweaks.ini
but i'm not sure what to put there in order to start KoboLauncher.sh

Anyone knows how to?
Launcher=tweaks.executeSystemCmd(\"/mnt/onboard/.kobo/KoboLauncher/KoboLauncher.sh\")
Foosho is offline   Reply With Quote