Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-10-2013, 03:35 PM   #1
spMatti
spMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Touch
Cool Google Drive on Kobo Touch

Hi

I developed hack to synchronize Kobo Touch with Google Drive. It uses open source Linux client called grive (https://github.com/Grive/grive). When the eReader is online files are automatically synchronized. You can find download link and installation instructions from https://github.com/softapalvelin/kobo-grive-sync.

I wrote about it in http://blog.softapalvelin.com/2013/0...h-ereader.html if you want to read more.
spMatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:21 AM   #2
Tumeconnais
Tumeconnais began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo By fnac
Great! Thank's for share.
I will try when I have some unused time.
Tumeconnais is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2013, 03:44 AM   #3
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Very nice indeed! I've been wanting this for ages, albeit with Dropbox. Google Drive is probably just as good though*. I'll have to finally look into the Google Drive concept.

Thanks for posting this, I'll go try and figure things out.

P.S. I'm assuming this stops the sync with kobo servers? Or does the Touch sync with both Kobo and Google Drive?

*EDIT: In fact, Google Drive is much, much, much better because of its grabbing attachments from email, see my post below.

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 02-15-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:31 AM   #4
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wow. In combination with this, this is going to be magic! What we've always dreamed of!

The link goes to a tutorial to have your [my.kobo]@gmail automatically send all email attachments to your Google Drive. So, set up your Kobo with spMatti's lovely thingeme, and setup your new google account with Amit Agarwal's script (easy), and you can send emails to your Kobo, just like the handy Kindle option we're all jealous of!

Edit: there's another explanation of how to make gmail put attachments into Google Driver here. The link to the spreadsheet you need doesn't work in this explanation, but it does show you in more detail how to add a label to the relevant emails.

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 02-11-2013 at 04:56 AM.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:03 AM   #5
spMatti
spMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to beholdspMatti is a marvel to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
P.S. I'm assuming this stops the sync with kobo servers? Or does the Touch sync with both Kobo and Google Drive?
It doesn't stop kobo sync. It just runs in background when wireless connection becomes available. When new content is downloaded from Google Drive the hack detects it and inserts a fake/virtual SD card containing all synchronized files from Google Drive. If you have real SD card inserted, it should just synchronize it with Google Drive. I haven't tested that though.
Advert
Old 02-11-2013, 09:49 AM   #6
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Just installed this lovely tool, and tested with Amit Agarwal's script...

Works like a wonderful wonderful charm! Thank you spMatti! I can now send books via email directly to my Touch!

And I see it's not a full "sync," it's just the Touch grabbing stuff off the Google Drive. Books on the Touch aren't sent to Google Drive... which is good! Yay

Quote:
Originally Posted by spMatti View Post
It doesn't stop kobo sync. It just runs in background when wireless connection becomes available. When new content is downloaded from Google Drive the hack detects it and inserts a fake/virtual SD card containing all synchronized files from Google Drive. If you have real SD card inserted, it should just synchronize it with Google Drive. I haven't tested that though.
Good to know, thanks

Two more questions:
- am I assuming correctly that this will work on the Glo and Mini as well?
- will it have to be reinstalled (and reauthorised??) after a firmware update?

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 02-11-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:04 PM   #7
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
spMatti, thanks a million!

Mrs_Often, when you say:
Quote:
Wow. In combination with this, this is going to be magic! What we've always dreamed of!

The link goes to a tutorial to have your [my.kobo]@gmail automatically send all email attachments to your Google Drive. ...
ah, so your suggestion is to set up a new email account dedicated to the kobo that will "sync" on google drive? great idea, thanks! Very much hope this works on the Mini, too!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:54 PM   #8
spMatti

Quote:
Two more questions:
- am I assuming correctly that this will work on the Glo and Mini as well?
- will it have to be reinstalled (and reauthorised??) after a firmware update?
- I think it should work on the Glo and Mini, because they have the same firmware. There are some differences in platforms and I can't promise it will work. If it doesn't work, we just have to debug the problems
- Firmware update can do almost anything so I can't be sure . Most likely the virtual SD card won't start automatically after update. Probably you just have to hit "sync" after update and restart the eReader. You shouldn't have to reauthorize.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:44 AM   #9
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
spMatti, thanks a million!

Mrs_Often, when you say:

ah, so your suggestion is to set up a new email account dedicated to the kobo that will "sync" on google drive? great idea, thanks! Very much hope this works on the Mini, too!
Yep, that's what I'm saying And then set up gmail to automatically label emails that have attachments, and use Amit Agarwal's Google Drive script to automatically collect the attachments from the labelled emails... Resulting in emailing yourself an epub -> epub goes to Google Drive -> Kobo device collects the epub from Google Drive

Quote:
- I think it should work on the Glo and Mini, because they have the same firmware. There are some differences in platforms and I can't promise it will work. If it doesn't work, we just have to debug the problems
Great! We'll have paola trying the mini, and as soon as I finally receive my Glo replacement I'll be trying the Glo.

Quote:
- Firmware update can do almost anything so I can't be sure . Most likely the virtual SD card won't start automatically after update. Probably you just have to hit "sync" after update and restart the eReader. You shouldn't have to reauthorize.
Also sounds good! We'll find out sooner or later, depending on when Kobo decides to give us some fixes
Old 02-12-2013, 04:19 AM   #10
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

beautiful, thank you, I'll give it a go tonight, and report back!
Old 02-12-2013, 07:03 AM   #11
xor_
Zealot
xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xor_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Works fine here on my Glo, with two minor hickups:

- It seemed to interfere with the plugin, i.e., I couldn't get the plugin to load with the line your script adds to /etc/init.d/rc$ active. Disabling that line, and starting your script fom the plugin works for me.

- I didn't get it to work with a second SDcard inserted. Didn't look into it very hard, though, since I've been meaning to migrate to a one-big-SDcard setup anyway, which I did yesterday.
xor_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:32 AM   #12
Mrs_Often
Wizard

I haven't tested it yet as I'm currently testing battery life and don't want to mess that up, but:

- When I first tried this plugin out, I put two books (book A and B) on my GoogleDrive, synced my Touch and voila, book A and B were right there on my homescreen together with previous books X, Y and Z.
- Later, I plugged my Touch into my computer briefly to manually load two other books, book C and D. Those turned up on my homescreen perfectly. However: I'm not sure of this as this is from memory and something I noticed at a later stage: books A and B weren't there any more, just books X, Y and Z with the new C and D.
- The next day, I put another book, book E, on my GoogleDrive, and synced the Touch. What the Touch downloaded from GoogleDrive were all books there: books A, B and E. All three appeared on my home screen on the largest spaces, together with books C and D on the smaller spaces.

This is when I realised books A and B had been gone [from the home screen] after plugging the Touch into the computer. I'm not entirely certain they were gone from the library, but why else would they be gone from the home screen? It's like the virtual µSD card is deleted or not registered when/after the device is connected to a computer...?

EDIT:
Quote:
[...] Most likely the virtual SD card won't start automatically after update. Probably you just have to hit "sync" after update and restart the eReader. You shouldn't have to reauthorize.
Or is this what is happening? The virtual SD is still there but not started? And only book E was downloaded but books A and B were added to the home screen again because they were suddenly 'new' after the virtual SD card started with the sync? But then... why did they disappear form the home screen in the first place? Is the virtual SD card shut down when/after plugging in to a computer, or after processing content that was added with a cable??

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 02-13-2013 at 04:39 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:34 AM   #13
paola
Wizard

nope, it does not seem to work for me - no directory "koboExtStorage" is greated on google drive, but the script does something, as the "auth.txt" file that I create on the device disappears after syncing.

Any ideas on what could be going wrong? Could this depend on the fact that the Mini does not have an SD card?
Old 02-13-2013, 05:25 AM   #14
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
nope, it does not seem to work for me - no directory "koboExtStorage" is greated on google drive, but the script does something, as the "auth.txt" file that I create on the device disappears after syncing.

Any ideas on what could be going wrong? Could this depend on the fact that the Mini does not have an SD card?
What a shame

I have no idea what I'm talking about, but are you sure you put the right code in the auth.txt? No extra stuff etc, just the thing from google?
Old 02-13-2013, 06:24 AM   #15
spMatti

Quote:
You are probably right. I think the problem is that the Mini does not have an SD card. There's another way to insert content to library: faking usb plug and unplug, but it requires some work and testing. Faking usb plug also disconnects network so it's not so nice as faking SD card.

I try to figure out something, but it will take some time.