Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-23-2013, 05:25 PM   #16
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
You need to be semi-retired.

Still working about 18 hours/week (in a job I still enjoy).
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:36 PM   #17
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
That's probably where I need to be Jerry. At the moment I'm semi-retired and working on my writing but still concerned about money to make it to the final collapse at home-plate saying, "What a H*ll of a ride!"

I may be looking for one of those part-time positions as soon as I get this tax season figured out. (or not )
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:00 PM   #18
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
a couple of lists in case you missed them:
Nice lists! K to you for your thoughtfulness.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:08 PM   #19
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks DianNC....I'm crazy about book/story lists.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:38 AM   #20
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
I admire those who can plan their reading. If you can do that... well, good for you, I guess.

And there are a lot of under-rated books out there, nobody knows about their existence but they blow our heads away. For those, check the What are you reading thread regularly

@ KennyC: Kenny!!!!! Did you really have to post that many links??? I just added some dozen books to the TBR list!!!!
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:04 AM   #21
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post

@ KennyC: Kenny!!!!! Did you really have to post that many links??? I just added some dozen books to the TBR list!!!!
I'm just a li'l devil.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:23 AM   #22
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I'm just a li'l devil.
Bad Kenny. We should post his name in the Addicts Buying Thread.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:53 PM   #23
derangedhermit
Addict
derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Bad Kenny. We should post his name in the Addicts Buying Thread.
Apache
I think in this case he's more the pusher.
derangedhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:15 PM   #24
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by derangedhermit View Post
I think in this case he's more the pusher.
Hey li'l boy, want some nice fresh Jamaican literature?
Old 11-09-2013, 02:01 PM   #25
derangedhermit
Addict
derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A-B of A-Z - a start

I've let this project drag, but here is the first firm list of works by author's last name, only A-B. Works in () are volumes that contain the specific things I wanted by that author and already have.

For many authors, the listed work(s) are intended to be a representative sample, to help me decide if I want to read more by that author.

Suggestions on works that don't belong, or obvious missing works or authors welcomed.

Also, many here at MR will be more familiar with most of these works than I. I've picked these from probably 3-5X the number of the listed authors. If someone can summarize or describe in general what I seem to be looking for, based on these samples, it would be helpful.

A

Abbott, Edwin A. - Flatland
Achebe, Chinua - Anthills of the Savannah
Adams, Douglas - The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (series, 5 volumes)
Adams, Richard - Watership Down
Alain-Fournier - Le Grand Meaulnes (The Wanderer)
Alcott, Louisa May - (Complete Works of Louisa May Alcott)
Allende, Isabel - The House of the Spirits
Amis, Kingsley - Lucky Jim
Amis, Martin - London Fields
Andersen, Hans Christian - Fairy Tales and Stories
Anderson, Sherwood - Winesburg, Ohio
Andrews, V. C. - Flowers in the Attic
Apollinaire, Guillaume - Alcools
Aragon, Louis - Aurelien
Aristotle Corpus Aristotelicum
Arnold, Matthew - (Matthew Arnold - Delphi Poets Series)
Asimov, Isaac - (Best short stories)
Asimov, Isaac - The Gods Themselves
Atwood, Margaret - The Handmaid's Tale
Auel, Jean M - The Clan of the Cave Bear (Earth's Children series)
Austen, Jane - (Complete Works of Jane Austen)

B

Bacon, Francis - The Essays
Bacon, Francis - The Great Instauration
Bacon, Francis - Preparative toward a Natural and Experimental History
Bacon, Francis - Valerius Terminus
Bacon, Francis - The Advancement of Learning
Bacon, Francis - The New Organon
Bainbridge, Beryl - The Bottle Factory Outing
Bainbridge, Beryl - The Dressmaker
Baldwin, James - Go Tell It on the Mountain
Baldwin, James - Notes of a Native Son
Ballard, J G - Crash
Ballard, J G - Empire of the Sun
Ballard, J G - The Drowned World
Balzac, Honoré de - Works of Honore de Balzac
Banks, Iain - The Wasp Factory
Banks, Iain M - Consider Phlebas (the Culture series)
Barrie, James Matthew - Peter Pan and Wendy
Barthelme, Donald - Sixty Stories
Baum, L. Frank - (Complete Works of L. Frank Baum)
Beckett, Samuel - Malone Dies
Beckett, Samuel - Molloy
Beckett, Samuel - Nohow On
Beckett, Samuel - The Unnamable
Beckett, Samuel - Waiting for Godot
Bede, The Venerable - An Ecclesiastical History of England
Bellamy, Edward - Looking Backward From 2000 to 1887
Bellow, Saul - Henderson the Rain King
Bellow, Saul - Herzog
Bellow, Saul - The Adventures of Augie March
Bely, Andrei - Petersburg
Bennett, Arnold - The Old Wives' Tale
Bentham, Jeremy - An Introduction to the Principles of Morals and Legislation
Berg, Elizabeth - Talk Before Sleep
Berlin, Isaiah - The Proper Study of Mankind
Bierce, Ambrose - Stories, Fables, Poems, and a Dictionary
Biggers, Earl Derr - (Charlie Chan Omnibus)
Blackmore, R. D. - Lorna Doone
Blackmore, R. D. - The Maid of Sker
Blake, William - (Selected works, in original illustrated form)
Bloom, Harold - The Western Canon
Boccaccio, Giovanni - Decameron
Bolano, Roberto - The Savage Detectives
Bolano, Roberto - By Night in Chile
Böll, Heinrich - The Lost Honor of Katharina Blum
Borges, Jorge Luis - Collected Fictions (“Ficciones”)
Borges, Jorge Luis - The Aleph
Bowen, Elizabeth - The Heat of the Day
Bowles, Paul - The Sheltering Sky
Bowles, Paul - Collected Stories, 1939–1976
Bradbury, Ray - Fahrenheit 451
Bradbury, Ray - The Martian Chronicles
Bramah, Ernest - Kai Lung's Golden Hours
Bramah, Ernest - The Wallet of Kai Lung
Bramah, Ernest - Max Carrados
Breton, Andre - Nadja
Breton, Andre - Surrealist Manifesto (Manifeste du surréalisme)
Brontë, Anne - Agnes Grey
Brontë, Anne - The Tenant of Wildfell Hall
Bronte, Charlotte - Jane Eyre
Brontë, Emily - Wuthering Heights
Brown, Dan - The Da Vinci Code
Browning, Elizabeth Barrett - (Elizabeth Barrett Browning - Delphi Poets Series)
Browning, Robert - (Robert Browning - Delphi Poets Series)
Bryson, Bill - A Short History of Nearly Everything
Bryson, Bill - Notes from a Small Island
Buck, Pearl - The Good Earth
Bulgakov, Mikhail - The Master and Margarita
Bunyan, John - The Pilgrim's Progress
Burgess, Anthony - The Long Day Wanes
Burgess, Anthony - Earthly Powers
Burns, Robert - (Robert Burns - Delphi Poets Series)
Burroughs, Edgar Rice - (Mars Stories)
Burroughs, Edgar Rice - (Tarzan Stories)
Burroughs, William S - (Naked Lunch)
Burton, Richard Francis - (The Book of The Thousand and a Night)
Butler, Samuel - (Erewhon)
Butler, Samuel - (The Way of All Flesh)
Butor, Michel - La Modification (Second Thoughts)
Buzzati - The Tartar Steppe
Byatt, A. S. - Possession: A Romance
Byron, Lord - (Lord Byron - Delphi Poets Series)
Old 11-19-2013, 07:35 AM   #26
kennyc

Was wondering where this/you were with this. So how many books read so far this year?
Old 11-19-2013, 05:05 PM   #27
derangedhermit
Addict

Hmmm, I don't keep count. Some aren't on this list.

40, at least, counting rereads. Probably over 50. Less than 100.

And I've listened to another 20 audiobooks or so, although that's not the same for me; they don't "stick" as well.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:15 PM   #28
kennyc

Hmmm, now I'm really confused. I thought this whole thread started as an attempt by you to create a reading list for you to read and document what you had read???

Anyway, carry on. I guess though if this is another attempt to create a generic 'must read' it may still be a worth effort but there are many out there already.

And at least in my case I have a significant TBR list that is at least partially comprised of recommendations from existing lists. It's also constantly changing.

Last edited by kennyc; 11-19-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:43 PM   #29
derangedhermit
Addict

It is intended as you thought. Since the list is in very preliminary form (except A-B, that I thought firm enough to solicit feedback on), it had not occurred to me to start adding post-reading info; I haven't even thought what that will be.

I never intended to only read books that were already on the list. And I wasted two weeks plowing through 6500 pages of GoT with increasing reluctance and dissatisfaction.

I think I will start adding all the books I read with my comments. There is no reason not to, and I have most of them from this year in a list.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:47 PM   #30
kennyc

I've not idea what GoT is but I'm pretty ruthless in discarding anything that doesn't hold my attention.

Good Luck with this!