Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-06-2013, 10:31 PM   #1
grant.ben08
grant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
(KPW) How can I add new fonts to my device?

I am a proud owner of my first Kindle (Paperwhite) and brand new to jailbreaking it (just did it an hour ago). I am kind of at a loss on what to do now as far as adding hacks to it but at the moment I am most interested in adding new fonts to it.
Can somebody please help me with the process?
grant.ben08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:30 PM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant.ben08 View Post
I am a proud owner of my first Kindle (Paperwhite) and brand new to jailbreaking it (just did it an hour ago). I am kind of at a loss on what to do now as far as adding hacks to it but at the moment I am most interested in adding new fonts to it.
Can somebody please help me with the process?
The PW runs versions 5.x firmware. Look in the K5 index for links to hacks. I recommend USB networking, and you should also find information for adding fonts. You can find the index wikis by looking into the Master Index sticky thread. Feel free to add useful content to the index wikis.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:26 AM   #3
grant.ben08
grant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the endgrant.ben08 knows the complete value of PI to the end

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
You can find the index wikis by looking into the Master Index sticky thread.
Could you provide me a link or something, I am having some issues navigating the website as I am also new to it. I guess I'm just used to the JB on my iPhone and the use of Cydia.
Thank you very much
Old 01-07-2013, 12:33 AM   #4
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Could you provide me a link or something, I am having some issues navigating the website as I am also new to it. I guess I'm just used to the JB on my iPhone and the use of Cydia.
Thank you very much
I have not added fonts to my PW. I only added USB networking, and the dev certs, and JBPatch.

Perhaps somebody here who has added custom fonts to a PW (or knows some good links) can provide information.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:48 AM   #5
grant.ben08

Would it be possible to provide a link to the K5 index or just where I should go from the home screen?
Old 01-07-2013, 06:39 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Would it be possible to provide a link to the K5 index or just where I should go from the home screen?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=180113
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:40 AM   #7
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
It works fine for me ;-)

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...23&postcount=8
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:07 AM   #8
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
The easiest thing to do is to add a file to your Kindle. A blank file called USE_ALT_FONTS. put it in the top level of the kindle directory. Eject and restart the Kindle. You will then see all the hidden fonts that are already on the Kindle. I found one that I love, so no need to add new ones. I learned about it here and he links to a thread here on mobilread where he found it. (I did step 3 & 4 but then removed that font folder, as the ones that showed up were fine for me).

Oh I see the link above provides the same info....anyhow there is a nice screen shot on the link I provided.

Last edited by booklover6; 01-07-2013 at 08:03 AM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:08 AM   #9
grant.ben08

Much obliged all. All of this should prove to be very helpful.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:12 AM   #10
grant.ben08

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
The easiest thing to do is to add a file to your Kindle. A blank file called USE_ALT_FONTS. put it in the top level of the kindle directory. Eject and restart the Kindle. You will then see all the hidden fonts that are already on the Kindle. I found one that I love, so no need to add new ones. I learned about it here and he links to a thread here on mobilread where he found it. (I did step 3 & 4 but then removed that font folder, as the ones that showed up were fine for me).

Oh I see the link above provides the same info....anyhow there is a nice screen shot on the link I provided.
I did this and it worked great. I also added my own fonts but I am finding that sometimes after I add new fonts and restart, none of the new or hidden fonts are there, only the originals. I am trying to narrow down what causes this to happen. If I find anything I will post it here.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:23 AM   #11
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Try running ";fc-cache", i.e. enter that (without the quotes) into the search box. The command will run for about 5 minutes, then it will restart the framework. So just let the device sit until it "reboots". That might help (or it might not).
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:30 AM   #12
grant.ben08

After a couple of experiments it seems that all you have to do is unplug it after ejecting. If you eject and restart without unplugging it and it goes back into USB connect mode after booting, the fonts wont come up.
So now I have me a couple of old typewriter style fonts that really make my KPW feel like a book.

Tags
fonts, hacks, jailbreak, paperwhite