Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-13-2011, 03:40 PM   #1
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Is this the end of the book?

Is this the end of the book?
BBC News UK - 28 January 2011

"... e-book "softens people up" for a future in which the book becomes a much richer experience ..."
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 03:47 PM   #2
BenBanned
Groupie
BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paper
"We could soon be opening an e-book and encountering not just text and pictures, he thinks, but audio and video clips, perhaps even games. You could even see films from within books."

Picture books for the masses?
BenBanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:33 PM   #3
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
The idea of adding a multi-media dimension to books comes up often, and usually gets shot down just as quickly as it comes up. The problem is that reading and viewing are totally different experiences - and people who are looking for one may not be looking for the other.

When I'm reading the last thing I want is multi-media - just as when my stepson is watching something, the last thing he wants is to have to read.

It reminds me of so-called "motion comics." For the most part they're just bad animation rather than comics with an extra dimension.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:51 PM   #4
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBanned View Post
"We could soon be opening an e-book and encountering not just text and pictures, he thinks, but audio and video clips, perhaps even games. You could even see films from within books."

Picture books for the masses?
We have that. It's called "television," and it's been around for half a century and more, without destroying books as a medium.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:00 PM   #5
BenBanned
Groupie
BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paper
Yeah but no one claims to read television.
BenBanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:26 PM   #6
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I read TV. I often turn on captioning, especially when it's a British show. And often they mix the soundtrack of movies with so much dynamic range that the loud parts scare the dogs and rattle the walls and when I turn it down, I can't hear the dialogue, so again...captioning to the rescue. And foreign films really need to be viewed with subtitles rather than dubbed!

But for the most part, I really don't want imbedded video and all kinds of crap cluttering up my reading experience!
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:55 PM   #7
natasha_fawn
Evangelist
natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-950 (finally!)
I think this could actually enhance the experience if done right, with the right books. As an example, I used to read fantasy books by an author who liked to make musical allusions in the story, something a character played or wrote usually. One book even had some of the pieces a character wrote written out in the back of the book. This is the kind of thing I could see benefiting from embedded audio clips or the like. I can't think of anything I've read that would benefit from video in a similar way, but I wouldn't be surprised if it existed. (Just to note, if this existed I would argue that it should be entirely optional, perhaps with "traditional" versions and "enhanced" versions.)

Now, what I could really see taking off is a smellobook or a tastybook.
natasha_fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:24 PM   #8
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
We have that. It's called "television," and it's been around for half a century and more, without destroying books as a medium.
but now TV is about as large as your hand and also makes calls, reads ebooks, browses the web and makes you coffee -- or at least may order some for you.

BTW, cross-over multimedia stuff rarely work out. Someone pointed this out to me recently:

http://vook.com/what-is-a-vook.html

the horror, the horror... someone packaging the concept of a web page in proprietary format and calling it the future of books... so lame...

Turns out people do still enjoy books because they are the essentially recorded oral narratives. And oral narratives mess with our imaginations more than images flashing in your face precisely because of that: it's much more mysterious and fantasious to imagine the described events than simply watching it flow...

Agreed on "motion comics". Can't believe someone at DC dared work out that even for Watchmen! lameness for fragile minds...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:49 PM   #9
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
It's the same as audio drama... I enjoy a lot of radio plays and other audio dramas because the pictures are better than TV/film/video and the same applies to books whether paper or eBooks... If I want to watch the TV (getting rarer ) or video then I want a decent size screen or a cinema for a film but none of them are books...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:56 PM   #10
OverTwo
Enthusiast
OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
I read TV. I often turn on captioning, especially when it's a British show. And often they mix the soundtrack of movies with so much dynamic range that the loud parts scare the dogs and rattle the walls and when I turn it down, I can't hear the dialogue, so again...captioning to the rescue. And foreign films really need to be viewed with subtitles rather than dubbed!

But for the most part, I really don't want imbedded video and all kinds of crap cluttering up my reading experience!
You can't understand British people?
OverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:45 PM   #11
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Probably an American... they don't speak English...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTwo View Post
You can't understand British people?
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:14 PM   #12
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Personally... I hope books stay books... but I recently had a very pleasant experience with a new National Geographic subscription on the iPad. The magazine is all there, but the articles often have links to multimedia content - videos, additional pics, interactive charts and maps. Truly, it makes for a great 'reading' experience.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:27 AM   #13
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
but now TV is about as large as your hand and also makes calls, reads ebooks, browses the web and makes you coffee -- or at least may order some for you.
That's called an "iPhone," and, in fact, I believe I could do all that on my color Nook, as well. And it not only hasn't, and won't, kill the book, it may well have saved Barnes & Noble from going out of business.

People just aren't interested in multimedia books. That's the reason it's never taken off. There's nothing new here.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:43 AM   #14
vbkun
Enthusiast
vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Maybe sony
is it me or BBC loves some sectionalism on "is 'insert anything here' going to end?"

A bit off topic but I really felt like commenting
vbkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:41 AM   #15
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I probably wouldn't buy a book that combines the written word with multimedia experience. If I want somebody to read to me, I'll get an audio book. When I want to watch something (reading captioning doesn't count), I'll watch TV.

The only location where I can see the advantage of multimedia + the written word is in encyclopedias and such. But you would have to be able to read those off-line (and thus require a lot of space!), because otherwise it wouldn't give an added experience above the wikipedias of the internet...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote