Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

View Poll Results: "Next," "Previous" Triangles In Margins:
Those triangles are mostly distractions and should be discarded. Best to keep the reader as clean as possible. 7 28.00%
Those triangles are useful reminding me to click in margins. Otherwise who would think to click in margins? 18 72.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2019, 05:04 AM   #16
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkormanik View Post
My sense is that some here are not taking this matter seriously.

SAVE OUR WHITE-SPACE!!

KEEP OUT THE TRIANGLES!!
Since this appears to be on the verge of being an obsession for you, if it REALLY matters that much - roll your own. Calibre IS open source, after all
Old 12-06-2019, 05:52 AM   #17
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
Quote:
My sense is that some here are not taking this matter seriously.

SAVE OUR WHITE-SPACE!!

KEEP OUT THE TRIANGLES!!

His Supreme Excellence, Overlord General Marshal Emperor Bookstooge is taking this VERY seriously. You can tell because he is referring to himself in the 3rd person. It doesn't get much more serious than that!

And he even voted. He does expect his lambskin scroll with his full title and deeds to any lands that go along with the title by New Years.

ps,
Australia would be nice to own...

Last edited by Bookstooge; 12-06-2019 at 06:00 AM. Reason: erring on the side of safety and being explicit with what I want
Advert
Old 12-06-2019, 07:01 AM   #18
nkormanik
Connoisseur
nkormanik began at the beginning.

Device: DavidAcisAAJ
The Anti-Triangle League just garnered a second vote!

Momentum, baby. Momentum.

You democrat progressives can change your soft-headed vote, you know. If sense returns.

Keep the world CLEAN!!
Old 12-06-2019, 02:34 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookstooge View Post
If I join the Anti-Triangle League, do I get a special uniform, or a pin or something? I'm definitely open to bribes that would lead me to having some sort of martial ranking. I've always been partial to "His Supreme Excellence, Overlord General Marshal Emperor Bookstooge".
Nope. You get to be part of the "I don't like it so nobody gets to have it" group.

Either set the margins to ne too small for the triangles or just ignore them.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:42 PM   #20
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Nope. You get to be part of the "I don't like it so nobody gets to have it" group.

Either set the margins to ne too small for the triangles or just ignore them.
Huh. I can't tell if you're just being Captain Oblivious here, or being as smartass as me.

His Supreme Excellence, Overlord General Marshal Emperor Bookstooge demands clarification!
Advert
Old 12-06-2019, 06:57 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Huh. I can't tell if you're just being Captain Oblivious here, or being as smartass as me.

His Supreme Excellence, Overlord General Marshal Emperor Bookstooge demands clarification!
When you say you love the triangles will you then get clarification. Oh and you have to love the triangles so much that you use them every day.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:17 PM   #22
Bookstooge
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
When you say you love the triangles will you then get clarification. Oh and you have to love the triangles so much that you use them every day.
So you are deliberately withholding information from the King of Australia? Oh man, you are going to be in so much trouble...
Old 12-06-2019, 07:19 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
So you are deliberately withholding information from the King of Australia? Oh man, you are going to be in so much trouble...
But of course.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:30 PM   #24
Bookstooge
Guru

Well, I have become King of Australia AND put jswOlf in its place. I'd say my work here is done!

*up up and away*
Old 12-08-2019, 08:50 AM   #25
nkormanik
Connoisseur

Back to the issue at hand, boys and girls....
Old 12-08-2019, 09:45 AM   #26
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Back to the issue at hand, boys and girls....
I'm relatively certain there is no issue at hand left in this thread.
Old 12-08-2019, 02:27 PM   #27
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Not everyone uses the same OS.
On Linux, not everyone has the same GUI/desktop/wmanager/theme

I'm baffled as to what these are. Are they aluminium foil covered cheese? What OS are you using?

I have a toolbar on the left and a TOC between it and the page. I have a Scrollbar on the right.
All those things can be turned off to leave just the text.

It's not a problem as the laptop is a STUPID 16:9 format (I'd prefer 16:10, 4:3 or 5:4 as long as more than 1080 lines). The text window is set to be about the same amount of text and shape as an eink reader. Too wide a page is tiring to read, which is partly why I have web browser full height but about 2/3rds width.

I vote to leave the Reader as it is, though I use it only to check:
1) Cover OK and only one of it
2) All of TOC works
3) Headings are all correct format & style
4) First paragraph after a heading or break has no indent, but otherwise matches all the other body text paragraphs (1st line indented).
5) Images are OK
6) Other links are OK

I actually read novels on eink or paper. Not on the laptop since I got my first Kindle. Mostly I use a Kobo Libra H2O now as I like the page buttons, though swapped order works best.

Choice is good.
Old 12-08-2019, 02:33 PM   #28
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
I'm relatively certain there is no issue at hand left in this thread.
Is that the Gripping hand?
Old 12-08-2019, 09:20 PM   #29
nkormanik
Connoisseur

The issue at hand (for those that apparently have difficulty READING TO BEGIN WITH) is:

There should be an option (please?) to NOT show the triangles for "Next" and "Previous" page in the margins.

Super simple.

What's the big deal? Just give us the OPTION to keep the page as uncluttered and clean as possible.

From the voting so far, it is overwhelmingly obvious that the Calibre reading public agrees with the above humble request.

Kovid????

Old 12-09-2019, 02:51 AM   #30
jbacelar
Interested in the matter
jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
Quote:
There should be an option (please?) to NOT show the triangles for "Next" and "Previous" page in the margins.
Really nkormanik, can you tell me where the terrible triangles are?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Captura.PNG
Views:	94
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	175479  
Closed Thread