Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-02-2019, 01:43 PM   #676
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Indexcard: One more vote for the "go naked" party!

I've also happened to harmlessly drop a Forma from an end table.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 03:26 AM   #677
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well my forma is going back to Walmart at just under a month it stopped being able to connect to WiFi. I like the size, but the screen line, and now this issue just going to return it while I can
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2019, 12:18 PM   #678
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have a nook ST and it's terrible to hold without a case. The overly large cheap feeling rubber feels tacky.
You and the Nook, I just don't get why it's your whipping boy.

For me, if they were to take the body of the ST, add a modern, 300 dpi screen with color changing light and waterproofing, that would be an insta-purchase for me. I'd even be okay with dropping the SD card so long as they gave 8GB of storage with no partitioning games.

Form factor wise the Nook ST and 6" Kobo Aura were my two favorite ereaders. The Glowlight 3 is nice, but I prefer the ST with the rubbery buttons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The nook software is awful.
I do prefer Kobo's firmware, but the Nook software is good enough (at least since they seemed to fix most of the speed problems plaguing the Glowlight 3).
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 01:32 PM   #679
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I do prefer Kobo's firmware, but the Nook software is good enough (at least since they seemed to fix most of the speed problems plaguing the Glowlight 3).
The thing bothering me the most about the Nook software is not being able to customize the page refresh. I have it set to every page on all my other readers (because I notice the gradual degrading of text otherwise; most people apparently don't), but you can't do it on a Nook. It's driving me slowly mad when reading. Most other things, like fonts etc. you can fix in Calibre, but not page refresh.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 04:12 PM   #680
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The thing bothering me the most about the Nook software is not being able to customize the page refresh... Most other things, like fonts etc. you can fix in Calibre, but not page refresh.
I've never noticed ghosting on my Plus or Glowlight 3. Maybe my eyesight isn't good enough.

But customizable page refresh would be nice. So would side loaded fonts. I like Google's Literata Book. But I'm not going to embed it in every book. I forgot which font I use on Nook that has ligatures, but that font is good enough.

B&N really should step up their firmware some though.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2019, 04:41 PM   #681
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I've never noticed ghosting on my Plus or Glowlight 3. Maybe my eyesight isn't good enough.
Not ghosting. I meant that the contrast/font darkness degrades and the text grows paler. It's probably one of those things that you have to look for and once you've noticed, can't un-notice.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 06:41 AM   #682
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The thing bothering me the most about the Nook software is not being able to customize the page refresh. I have it set to every page on all my other readers (because I notice the gradual degrading of text otherwise; most people apparently don't), but you can't do it on a Nook. It's driving me slowly mad when reading. Most other things, like fonts etc. you can fix in Calibre, but not page refresh.
I notice this too, but it doesn't drive me to distraction. The thing that kills me is that Nooks were the first ones I remember having this setting back when not refreshing every page first became a thing. Now, like you said, it's the only one I have that doesn't.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote