Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-07-2016, 11:39 AM   #1
oblox
Zealot
oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (7th Gen)
Removing plugin in Calibre removes it from all instances of Calibre

I had a second calibre portable setup for my Sister and removed the goodreads sync plugin as she'd never use it.

When I went back to my version of calibre it had removed this there also, is this something that can be fixed as whilst not a common occurrence it would be a pain. I've also recently setup a new Calibre instance for Graphic novels so may run into this in future there also.
oblox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 12:08 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by oblox View Post
I had a second calibre portable setup for my Sister and removed the goodreads sync plugin as she'd never use it.

When I went back to my version of calibre it had removed this there also, is this something that can be fixed as whilst not a common occurrence it would be a pain. I've also recently setup a new Calibre instance for Graphic novels so may run into this in future there also.
Plugins reside in the Configuration folder.

Calibre Portable and Calibre (Desktop) do not share configurations.

unless you did some sort of shadow (sync) tricks
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2016, 04:05 AM   #3
oblox
Zealot
oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oblox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nope just copied my main Calibre portable instance to downloads directory and removed some books and goodreads sync plugin. It was then removed from both instances.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:27 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Nope just copied my main Calibre portable instance to downloads directory and removed some books and goodreads sync plugin. It was then removed from both instances.
Are you sure the instance in the 'downloads directory' is an actual copy of your 'main Calibre portable' instance and not a junction or a symlink to it. That or something similar is one way I can think of to create the scenario you seem to be describing.

Or maybe you have assigned the CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY environment variable to a common location. That might do it too.

What version of Windows are you running, in particular is it a Preview version ?

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:48 AM   #5
oblox
Zealot

Windows 8.1 Pro

Not set any Environment variables or anything like that literally I highlighted my E-books directory did Ctlr+C then Ctrl+V in downloads.
Advert
Old 09-08-2016, 06:10 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

R U sure you did a Ctrl+C then a Ctrl+V (i.e. a copy), and not a Ctrl+X then a Ctrl+V (i.e. a move) - done it myself often enough.

If you normally access E-Books\calibre_portable.exe via a shortcut then the DLT service would have detected the move and adjusted the shortcut to reference the instance in your downloads folder (that's its job - shortcut fixing).

BR
Old 09-08-2016, 06:20 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
@oblox - were the books removed in both places, or just the plugin ?

BR
Old 09-08-2016, 06:46 AM   #8
oblox
Zealot

Just the plugin. I removed my personal columns my sister wouldn't need and a load of books she wouldn't want as well as the plugin. All that was affected in both locations was the plugin.
Old 09-08-2016, 05:38 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@oblox - the only other scenario I can think of would be that you removed the plugin from your E-books library before you did the copy, and deleted the columns and books in the copy - seems unlikely though. Sadly. I don't have any other suggestions

FWIW : I have an installed 64bit calibre, and from time to time I create portable installs for various purposes (mainly resolving issues encountered by other calibre users) I have never had a problem of weird side-effects such as you've experienced.

I would have gone about the task somewhat differently, basically:
  • create a Library4Sister library within MyCalibre;
  • copy the required books into it, excluding unwanted custom columns;
  • remove the Library4Sister from MyCalibre;
  • install and configure calibre portable and any required optional plugins in Calibre4Sister etc;
  • moved Library4Sister into Calibre4Sister, and hook it up via Create/Switch library.
Why - because I wouldn't want my sister to inherit the baggage, flotsam, and jetsam of my history of calibre usage that's contained within my configuration and library folders.

Example : when you install and configure an optional plugin you will have its .zip and .json files in the configuration plugins folder, if you later decide you don't need the plugin and remove it, then .zip file is removed but not the .json file.

I'm not saying your method shouldn't have worked, just saying I wouldn't have done it that way.

BTW: why do you think you need a second instance of calibre for your Graphic Novels, I run three very different libraries, via the same instance of calibre.

BR
Old 09-09-2016, 05:39 AM   #10
oblox
Zealot

Because I keep my backup of my ebooks in a number of places and don't want the added bulk of the graphic novels to go alongside it. Otherwise id have created a separate library as you'd said.