Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-02-2019, 04:11 PM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace Lee View Post
I really hope those E-readers don't use no Kobo Hardware for tolino ALWAYS had a far better contrast than Kobo.

I own a Tolino vision 4HS and a Kobo libra both. Believe it or not, even with the screen zize difference reading comics is BETTER on the tolino 6'' screen rather than on kobo libra 6.7'' screen because of contrast. It's lilke the ink was extremely different and much more defined.
The Libra h2O is a 7" screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:07 PM   #47
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I really hope those E-readers don't use no Kobo Hardware for tolino ALWAYS had a far better contrast than Kobo.

I own a Tolino vision 4HS and a Kobo libra both. Believe it or not, even with the screen zize difference reading comics is BETTER on the tolino 6'' screen rather than on kobo libra 6.7'' screen because of contrast. It's lilke the ink was extremely different and much more defined.
Whereas I have several Kobo eInk readers to compare to my Tolino Epos. As near as I can tell comparing the Aura One and Epos side by side, I see very little difference in the contrast and/or gamma of the screens. Other than the minimal size increase for the Forma (8" compared to 7.8"), it too is very close to the Aura One and Epos in contrast. Otherwise, I find Kobo's firmware to be much more flexible than Tolino's even just considering basics such as font size, margins, line spacing, displaying by author, title, series, creating collections etc.

All the eInk screens come out of the same source and most are purchased with the lighting and touch layers factory installed so I find it hard to accept that a Tolino ereader is going to have much better contrast than a Kobo (or Kindle, Pocketbook, etc.).

Quote:
The lightining tuning is FAR better too on the Tolino.
On the libra, there are TONS of too red or too blue settings, and in the end I stop setting my light between two options only: too blue or too red.
An interesting claim. On my Kobo ereaders, I find that there is quite a wide gap between too warm and too cold when using the display colour slider. I prefer the Forma's range to the Epos's range but that is probably due to the colour of the LEDs being used.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:35 AM   #48
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:

On the other side, Tolino's lightning colour setting is much more faded and it makes much more sense.
The Tolinos and Kobos hardware has been closely related for a long time. Both have been manufactured by Netronix from the beginning, I believe. That said, I own a Tolino Vision 4 and a Shine 3 (Clara hardware) and there definitely is a difference in the two. The Vision 4 uses uses amber warm lights and the Shine 3 uses something closer to dark orange warm lights. I didn't think I would like the darker (orange) LEDs but I've gotten used to them. I think, overall, I like the amber warm LEDs a little better, but it is what it is. And both are better for night reading than no warm lights at all -- at least I think they are.

Last edited by rcentros; 12-03-2019 at 05:38 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 03:32 AM   #49
Butterfly1234
Enthusiast
Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
But it looks like Butterfly1234 was specifically saying he bought a Kobo so he wouldn't have to modify the KePubs or convert them to ePubs. (I bought the Kobo Clara because I wouldn't have to convert my Kobo books to epub, and would be able to read them directly on the Kobo e-reader...) If that's the case, then shouldn't it be Kobo's job to make the metadata in their eBooks consistent?
Dear rCentros, Dear everyone,

First of all, I am a she. But don't worry, I'm not offended at all, just smiling at the assumption.
I indeed bought the Kobo Clara so I wouldn't have to convert my Kobo books to epub and for that the Clara is wonderful.
About my other problem: I can happily tell you it has been solved in the meantime. My husband looked at Davidfor's mail to me, explaining how to go about it, and he found my problem in 5 minutes!
I had been doing it all wrong.
All I had/have to do is upload the books I want on my Clara on Calibre first. If there are 10 books by Karin Slaughter for instance, I have to check they're all named in the same manner, then I have to "send to device".
That last step I never did before. If I follow these steps, my books are on my Kobo just as they should.
The only sad thing about the sorting of books in Kobo, is that when you go to "my books", and choose "by author" and then "by family name", you still have the first name first: Madeleine Albright, then Sharon Bolton, then Ben Crass, then Ivar Danielson.
That is way easier in the Tolino: you go to "authors" and it's Albright Madeline, Bolton Sharon etc.
Apart from that, now that I know how to put my books on it through Calibre, me happy.
Butterfly1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 10:06 AM   #50
Archolm
Archolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Archolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Archolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Archolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Archolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Archolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Archolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Archolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Archolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Archolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Archolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Tablet
If I don't yet have an ereader would a Tolino be good then yes or no? I rather like having Android to use, I very much prefer Moonreader+ for reading aswell as the build in backing up to cloud.

Id like my ereader to be on the same page as say my android phone, or tablet. Is that possible with a Kodo? Mind you I will be using side loaded books.
Archolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 11:41 AM   #51
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archolm View Post
If I don't yet have an ereader would a Tolino be good then yes or no? ...
I like Tolinos a lot but there are pros and cons. Tolinos are Android based and they, apparently, can be rooted. I've never done it and have no interest doing it, so I'm no help to you there. If you live in the United States, support (or even a place to buy a Tolino) is pretty limited.

Pros.
  1. Nice, well designed readers with good screens
  2. Adobe ADM built-in — you can borrow from Overdrive directly, or buy from various bookstores directly (including Kobo)
  3. Add custom fonts (most readers allow this now)
  4. "Clean" interface

Cons
  1. "Sparse" interface, not as feature rich as Kobos and others (can't bold fonts, fewer font size, line space and margin settings)
  2. No native bookstore in the United States (though you can buy directly from various online bookstores because Adobe ADM is built-in)
  3. No local dealers in the U.S.

For me the pros outweigh the cons.

A cheap way to try a Tolino would be to buy an older one, second hand. GoodyStore has the original Tolino Shine (212 dpi some with Pearl some with Carta screens, depending on release date) for $20 plus shipping at...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tolino-Shin...cab90e|iid%3A1
Old 12-08-2019, 05:59 AM   #52
Archolm
Archolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Archolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Archolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Archolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Archolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Archolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Archolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Archolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Archolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Archolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Archolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I like Tolinos a lot but there are pros and cons. Tolinos are Android based and they, apparently, can be rooted. I've never done it and have no interest doing it, so I'm no help to you there.
Do you perhaps have any idea where to go look for that sort of info. My best bet was here but this is one of the only threads I have seen.

Kodo's have always been very durable to me, and if this has the same quality but does let me have and physical page buttons aswell as android app support than that would be delicious.
Archolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 07:51 AM   #53
Wallace Lee
Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura second edition
I have to insist.

The characters on TOLINO are more focused as confirmed by a famous italian E-reading expert of HDBLOG (I don't remember his name, but Kobo, Tolino and Kindle send him pre-release samples for testing).

Have a look to this link

https://www.hdblog.it/2016/04/26/tolino-vision-3-hd-recensione/

and scroll it down until you find a focusing comparison between different fonts in different devices.
That's the Tolino superiority I am talking about.
It's nothing very obvious, but my eyes are very sensitive to this.
Wallace Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 08:05 AM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I have to insist.

The characters on TOLINO are more focused as confirmed by a famous italian E-reading expert of HDBLOG (I don't remember his name, but Kobo, Tolino and Kindle send him pre-release samples for testing).

Have a look to this link

and scroll it down until you find a focusing comparison between different fonts in different devices.
And his focus comparison is all wrong. Different fonts, different light settings, not focused other then the Tolino and the PW3. So really, it's a disaster of a comparison. To do it correctly, same text, same font, same font size, same light setting, and focused at the same distance. It looks like he purposely set things up so the Tolino looked better. I'm not saying he;s wrong, but know the Kobo Aura H2O is not that fuzzy as I have one.

This guy doesn't know how to do a proper comparison. Does he work for GoodEReader?
Old 12-13-2019, 11:34 AM   #55
Wallace Lee
Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wallace Lee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura second edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And his focus comparison is all wrong. Different fonts, different light settings, not focused other then the Tolino and the PW3. So really, it's a disaster of a comparison. To do it correctly, same text, same font, same font size, same light setting, and focused at the same distance. It looks like he purposely set things up so the Tolino looked better. I'm not saying he;s wrong, but know the Kobo Aura H2O is not that fuzzy as I have one.

This guy doesn't know how to do a proper comparison. Does he work for GoodEReader?
No, he works for italian site HDBLOG
Wallace Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 12:06 PM   #56
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

I agree. My Voyage is also far from being as fuzzy as on his photo. And I think he deliberately did it that way.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 12:58 PM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I agree. My Voyage is also far from being as fuzzy as on his photo. And I think he deliberately did it that way.
The comparison photos are in no way a good comparison.
Old 12-13-2019, 04:36 PM   #58
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I have to insist.

Have a look to this link

Sorry but I looked at the images. What they tell me is that the person who created them was a lousy photographer.

Comparing the Vision 3 HD image to the Aura H20 image (300 DPI vs 265 DPI), the first thing that comes to mind is the the V3HD image was taken with the focal plane of the camera very close to parallel to the V3 HD screen whereas the Aura H2O image looks much as if the focal plane was not parallel to the Aura H2O screen -- see the black oval in the H2O.png image attached. Then we get into the size -- compare the size of the l in the yellow oval in both images. Now if he had had the focal plane parallel to both screens and had the same text size (points not pixels) on both screens, this comparison might have been of some use. You can also take a look at the "il" in the upper left corner of the Voyage image which is best described as out of focus. At best, I would be very dubious about his capabilities as a photographer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AuraH2O.png
Views:	196
Size:	279.1 KB
ID:	175579   Click image for larger version

Name:	V3HD.png
Views:	195
Size:	361.2 KB
ID:	175580  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 08:18 PM   #59
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
I have to insist.

Have a look to this link

It's a good review. I think the Tolinos are superior also, but mostly because they are open and have Adobe ADE built in. They're also very nicely built. And I do think the fonts are rendered better on the Tolino than on the Kindle or Kobo. But I agree with others that the screen comparison pictures aren't really very convincing — mostly because the Tolino screen picture is taken from further away, so naturally the fonts will seem smoother.

My main reason for liking the Tolino is its openness. As summarized (in Google translate) from the review...

Quote:
To go back to the beginning of the review, Vision 3 HD is a rival to Voyage, rather than Paperwhite 3. It has something more than this and the new Oasis (resistance to liquids, on / off button for light, tap2flip, weight) and something less in the ability to offer a software ecosystem and therefore to buy and manage books less filed, less beautiful, less efficient.

But there is: first and foremost because its goal is to be free from the constraints of a single library, of a single supplier, and then because to get to worry Amazon is a merit that justifies a lot. By construction and made practical if you play it with everyone: then you can prefer it for personal taste, for the desire to try, for the function that is here and there, or for the context in which you will use, to read.