Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-06-2019, 05:41 AM   #1
Gorgoth
Gorgoth began at the beginning.

Device: none
Calibre viewer font behaviour

Hello,

I just started converting my Kindle books with Calibre and have been stuck on the first book for several hours now trying to figure out font behaviour. Input format is AZW3 and the target I'm using is PDF.

My problem is that the font is different when I view the resultant PDF in an external viewer like Foxit and with the built-in viewer. It seems the original e-book doesn't have any fonts embedded (checked by unpacking it), but I see some fonts are defined in its stylesheet.

So at this point I'd like to know whether what I'm seeing in the built-in viewer is a default font (Since there's no embedded font), and if so what is that default font.

Does the built-in viewer respect the font-family defined in the stylesheet at all? Or it just cares about embedded fonts which in the case there're none present it uses a default font.

Mind you I saw a few posts here asking about the font behaviour but in the answers the name of the default font wasn't mentioned.

I'd like to recreate what I see in the built-in viewer as best as I can when converting to PDF.

Thank you.
Gorgoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 06:24 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The builtin viewer is not a pdf viewer (it converts the pdf to html to view it), dont use it to preview pdfs, use a dedicated pdf reader for that.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:29 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Preferences: Behavior: Use Internal Viewer for: <Remove the tick next to PDF> (or any other format that you don't want Calbres viewer for. Your OS must have a default viewer for that format)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 06:58 PM   #4
Gorgoth

Maybe I wasn't clear in my post, I use a dedicated PDF viewer already (Foxit, as stated in my post). I don't want to use the built-in viewer as my default PDF viewer, I simply want to know what its default font is, just that.

And what about my second question about the font-family defined in the stylesheet of AZW3?
Old 12-07-2019, 07:47 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The builtin viewr is a browser (chrome), its font behavior is exactly the same as a browsers. If the stylesheet specifies a font that is not embedded it will be searched for ont he system and the nearest match will be used.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:18 AM   #6
Gorgoth

Thank you for the explanation.
So is there any way to have this same behaviour when converting to PDF?
I mean automatically embedding the fonts specified in the stylesheet? And if not found on the system using the nearest match like the viewer?
Old 12-11-2019, 09:41 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

That is exactly what happens since converting to PDF uses the same browser engine as the viewer.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:18 PM   #8
Gorgoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
That is exactly what happens since converting to PDF uses the same browser engine as the viewer.
Then there must be something wrong with the way I'm doing it, because the converted PDF only has Arial as its embedded font which is quite different than what is specified in the stylesheet, and as a result the PDF looks very different compared to the original AZW3.

I currently specify the font family under "Look & feel" manually to get the PDF to look like the original file.

Is this the default behaviour or should I enable it somewhere?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.87.png
Views:	106
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	175547  
Old 12-12-2019, 02:51 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Hard to say, post a sample azw3/epub book showing the problem, and I can tell you more.
Old 12-12-2019, 05:21 PM   #10
Gorgoth

Sorry, I'm a bit confused.
By sample you mean cutting the book? If so, how can I prepare a sample? And should I just upload it here or send it to you directly? Wouldn't that violate any rules?
Old 12-12-2019, 08:31 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorgoth View Post
Sorry, I'm a bit confused.
By sample you mean cutting the book? If so, how can I prepare a sample? And should I just upload it here or send it to you directly? Wouldn't that violate any rules?
You open a Bug report at the Calibre site. Then make a PRIVATE attachment
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 03:57 PM   #12
Gorgoth

Uploaded the file here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/1856363