Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-09-2010, 05:32 PM   #1
mfabry
mfabry began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Calibre crashes X server (Ubuntu 10.10)

Hi,
after today's upgrades Calibre started to crash X server. I'm running Ubuntu (Kubuntu) 10.10 (yes, I know it's still an early beta). So far I've eliminated 2 most likely culprits: Nvidia driver (I've checked out the good, old nv with predictably sad results) and KDE environment (XFCE crashes just as well). I suspect recent changes in Python packages might be a problem, but I can't get any debug info. All logs (syslog, kernlog, messages and Xorg.0.log) give me no answer. Any ideas?
mfabry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:38 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
do you know what the upgrades were?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2010, 06:28 PM   #3
mfabry

I've attached today's list according to apt cache listing. 99% of these packages are probably completely irrelevant. I've also tried to start X straight from console (skipping kdm) and then launch calibre. I've got a backtrace. All errors came from:
1. /usr/bin/X
2. libpthread.so.0
3. libc.so.6
Attached Files
File Type: txt package_list.txt (4.8 KB, 204 views)
Old 09-09-2010, 06:30 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I'd suspect the Qt 4.7 update.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:41 AM   #5
mfabry

Not good then I will check next upgrades.
Advert
Old 09-10-2010, 06:54 PM   #6
mfabry

Waiting for upgrades paid off. Probably new version of libc6 libraries solved the problem.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:34 AM   #7
sgbirch
sgbirch began at the beginning.

Device: prs505
I can confirm this problem.

Calibre worked fine before my upgrade to the freshly released Ubuntu 10.10 (maverick) but it now crashes xorg. My favorite application is now unusable :-(
sgbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 05:07 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbirch View Post

Calibre worked fine before my upgrade to the freshly released Ubuntu 10.10 (maverick) but it now crashes xorg. My favorite application is now unusable :-(
It is interesting that you are confirming a problem the original poster indicated went away after an update.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:24 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:

7.23 runs fast (compared to XP) on my Maverick (32bit,i386) upgrade.
what steps cause X to crash?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:12 PM   #10
mfabry

Quote:

My advice - check for upgrades! I've had this problem several times already (admittedly only on beta not official release of MM) . Dist-upgrade the next day was my usual solution.