Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-09-2009, 09:56 AM   #1
cigarjockey
cigarjockey began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
PRS-505 stuck on main menu...Bricked?

I cannot get past the main menu on the screen, it will not shut down and pushing the reset on the back does nothing...Help please!!
Well so far I pulled out the memory card and held reset down for almost 20 sec. it booted up but gave me a low battery warning. I have it plugged in now to the laptop to see if it fixes the issue.

Last edited by cigarjockey; 01-09-2009 at 10:04 AM.
cigarjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:17 AM   #2
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Check that you get the Red LED lighting to show it's charging.

One thing that's counter-intuitive is that it's tricky to work out if it's doing anything when booting, as the the screen doesn't clear when resetting/booting! Watch for the LED to flash yellow when starting up after a reset - if if doesn't, try using the power switch.

If you've got a PSP-compatible charger with barrel connector rather than a mini-USB connector, that should charge it too & faster than via USB. There's a good chance it's a combination of battery & it not booting because the power switch hasn't been slid - they're really hard to brick even when reflashing firmware, let alone just in normal use!

Last edited by gwynevans; 01-12-2009 at 01:10 PM. Reason: fix formatting typo
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2009, 10:19 AM   #3
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Is the Reader fully charged? This thread would be a good place to start when trying to perform a reset.

Oh, and welcome to MobileRead. I hope you're able to resolve your problem.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 10:20 AM   #4
cigarjockey
cigarjockey began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
The red light is charging right now.I'll have to dig at home for the psp charger, but for now hooked up to a laptop. Thanks the yellow light flashed while rebooting so I hope all is good after the charge. Not sure why it locked up my wife got it for xmas and she was reading with it last night when it locked up.
Thanks for the welcome, now I have to locate a cheap one for myself, I was able to get a returned one at Brookstone for $150.
cigarjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:13 AM   #5
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
I hope you get it workign again, but even broken you can ebay it for more than 150
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2009, 11:15 AM   #6
staticradar
staticradar began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Mine was doing something similar and nothing I did worked, let it lose charge and charge it back up twice! Then what I did that actually fixed it was attach it to my computer and it would show up as a drive, not an ebook, but as just a regular drive. So i right clicked on the drive in the My Computer window that shows all your drives. Then i chose format, it erased everything on there but after that was done its worked like a charm and hasn't given me any trouble since! It was easy and I wish I had thought of it earlier since I was without my reader for over 2 days due to it being stuck on the main screen.
staticradar is offline   Reply With Quote