Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 12-29-2008, 12:36 AM   #1
robreiderjr
Rob
robreiderjr began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Forum newbie, had 505 since summer

I'm enjoying my PRS-505 and have read a handful of books on it. I am in the air show industry - I work as an announcer - and hope to make the 505 the centerpiece of my aviation reference material. I currently lug around about 35 pounds of printed material and electronic gear for my work and with the excessive prices I'm being charged by the airlines I believe that the 505 could, with the proper inputting of the data, replace about 10 pounds of printed stuff.

It's nice to find this forum because I've just gotten a new laptop and my PRS-505 won't synchronize to the new laptop or even a Windows desktop, even though they've been authorized. The software recognizes the 505 and the SD card that's in it but the books, music, and other stuff reside only on the 505.

I've attempted to reset a few times but without success. Any thoughts for this newbie? My previous setup was a MacBook with boot camp to run Windows. The current setup is a brand new MacBook with VMWare Fusion to switch from OS X to Windows. The desktop is a totally Windows computer.

If the moderator would like to put this in a different place that would be fine.

Thanks,

Rob
robreiderjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:08 AM   #2
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Welcome to the forums, Rob!

I'm afraid I can't help with your problem, but I can confirm that the 505 will synch with the Sony software running Windows XP under VMWare Fusion. However, if you've already authorised your Sony, you could always use Calibre on the Mac to manage your library.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2008, 07:52 AM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Rob and welcome to the Forum. I had a problem wit the Sony eBook Library on my laptop where it would not bring up the Sony site. Finally called Sony Customer Support and they couldn't resolve it so they kicked me up a level. And they were able to solve it. Turned out I had some setting or other wrong. Anyway, you might give that a try

Last edited by MickeyC; 12-29-2008 at 05:11 PM.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:53 PM   #4
robreiderjr
Rob

Synch problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
Welcome to the forums, Rob!

I'm afraid I can't help with your problem, but I can confirm that the 505 will synch with the Sony software running Windows XP under VMWare Fusion. However, if you've already authorised your Sony, you could always use Calibre on the Mac to manage your library.

Thanks so much for the help. I'm about to call Sony because I REALLY want this thing to work out!!

Regards,

Rob
Old 12-29-2008, 04:54 PM   #5
robreiderjr
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Hi Rob and welcome to the Forum. I had a problem wit the Sony eBook Library on my laptop where it woukld bring up the Sony site. Finally called Sony Customer Support and they couldn't resolve it so they kicked me up a level. And they were able to solve it. Turned out I had some setting or other wrong. Annyway, you might give that a try
I'm going to go through the process once again and if I can't get it to work I'll give Sony a call. I have not yet looked for their number. Do you have it handy?

Thanks for the welcome to the forum!

Regards,

Rob
Advert
Old 12-29-2008, 05:18 PM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robreiderjr View Post
I'm going to go through the process once again and if I can't get it to work I'll give Sony a call. I have not yet looked for their number. Do you have it handy?

Thanks for the welcome to the forum!

Regards,

Rob
Sony Level One is 1-866-962-7669

Sony Level Two support number is 866.385.7669
Old 12-29-2008, 10:41 PM   #7
robreiderjr
Rob

Quote:
Sony Level One is 1-866-962-7669

Sony Level Two support number is 866.385.7669
Thanks for the numbers! I've tried to make the thing sync and it's not doing it. I'm going to make the call tomorrow.

Rob
Old 12-30-2008, 07:29 AM   #8
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thanks for the numbers! I've tried to make the thing sync and it's not doing it. I'm going to make the call tomorrow.

Rob
Good luck and be sure and let us know how it goes.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:47 PM   #9
robreiderjr
Rob

Sync problems...

Quote:
Good luck and be sure and let us know how it goes.
Thanks to all for your help. I finally got around to calling Sony and I believe my whole problem was an "operator error" thing. I hate to admit it but I think that my "Mac-i-fied" definition of synching had me believing that a book on my reader would automatically be transferred to a clean library in the reader software. Sony level one support took care of it. I simply needed to download what I already owned into the library. When I did the sync again, I found multiple copies of the books on my reader. I have since deleted those books.

So much for synchronization in the 505 - it seems to go only one way!

I do have it figured out at this point so I'm OK with it.

Thanks again,

Rob
Old 01-07-2009, 07:00 PM   #10
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Thanks to all for your help. I finally got around to calling Sony and I believe my whole problem was an "operator error" thing. I hate to admit it but I think that my "Mac-i-fied" definition of synching had me believing that a book on my reader would automatically be transferred to a clean library in the reader software. Sony level one support took care of it. I simply needed to download what I already owned into the library. When I did the sync again, I found multiple copies of the books on my reader. I have since deleted those books.

So much for synchronization in the 505 - it seems to go only one way!

I do have it figured out at this point so I'm OK with it.

Thanks again,

Rob

A lot of people don't like their reader to sync automatically. I have mine disabled. I prefer just dragging over what I want manually.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:14 PM   #11
robreiderjr
Rob

Synching

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
A lot of people don't like their reader to sync automatically. I have mine disabled. I prefer just dragging over what I want manually.
I'm totally OK with that. I simply had to realize what the procedure was. You're right, though, having big files in too many places can be a bummer. Manually dragging a file from one place to another is probably a very good thing if more than one computers is associated with the 505.

Rob
Old 01-07-2009, 09:17 PM   #12
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
I'm totally OK with that. I simply had to realize what the procedure was. You're right, though, having big files in too many places can be a bummer. Manually dragging a file from one place to another is probably a very good thing if more than one computers is associated with the 505.

Rob
Well I like it just because I don't want my whole library on my Reader. I'd feel overwhelmed.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote