Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #1
Hoods7070
Groupie
Hoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notes

Device: Nexus 7"
Forcing a quotation mark style

Hi

(Sorry if this has already been discussed elsewhere, but I couldn't find an answer to my question in another thread.)

Please can someone tell me how (or indeed, if) I can set/force quotation mark style/s in Sigil! i.e. opt to use straight rather than angled or curly quotation marks or vice versa. At present, no matter what I try, my keyboard input is straight, vertical quotation marks, regardless of font, font-style, CSS etc.

Many thanks!
Hoods7070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:14 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
You don't control this with styling. If you want curly quotes, you must enter curly quotes. You can use Sigil's special character feature to enter them. Or you can copy/paste from your system's character map utility. Or you can use entities, or alt-key codes.

There's some utility programs that will convert straight quotes to their typographic equivalents. Some of them are quite good, but none are perfect.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2013, 10:01 AM   #3
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Don't forget, a curly quote is a different character than a straight quote. The meaning is also different, as straight quotes are also symbols used length. It is a different as an character 'a' and 'A'. It is unfortunate that the keyboards don't allow direct typing of curly quotes.
The 'issue' is that we are spoiled by some wordprocessors how try to do it automatically. Let me stress 'try'.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
You might try getting curly quotes through using search and replace, with leading space meaning curly left and following space meaning curly right. But this is not going to be perfect..like periods, commas, etc. The aggravation level will depend on how many quotes there are and how creative the author got with unusual uses of the " sign. I would not try a replace all myself. But if you choose to live dangerously or excitingly, make a copy with another name to play with. That way you waste your time rather than your sanity if it blows up some way.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #5
Hoods7070
Groupie
Hoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notesHoods7070 can name that song in three notes

Thanks, all. I suspected there was no one-stroke fix. I just thought it was perhaps my ignorance, and hoped there might be.

As it is, I type in any missing or incorrect quotes as "straight" quotes when editing, then search/replace everything back to curly quotes as the last editing effort. It works fine, and is second nature now, but it does seem a long-winded way of doing things.
Advert
Old 05-01-2013, 11:54 AM   #6
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
As you're doing your corrections, why not enter the correct smart quote to begin with instead of the straight quotes and then having to go back? Just open the "Insert special character" from the top menu and move it off to the side to click on which quote you need as you're editing.

Or if you have a keyboard like the Logitech G11 or G15, set 4 of the Gkeys for the curly quotes.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:48 PM   #7
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoods7070 View Post
Thanks, all. I suspected there was no one-stroke fix. I just thought it was perhaps my ignorance, and hoped there might be.
The way that I do it (although this is prone to mistakes), is running the EPUB through the Calibre plugin: Modify EPUB. I uncheck everything besides the "smarten punctuation" checkbox.

I assume Calibre's new "Polish Books" can do the same thing (although I have not tested the "smarten punctuation" using Polish Books).

From there, I use this Regex to catch SOME of the potential curly quote mistakes:

Search:

Code:
(“[^”\r\n]*)</p>\s+<p>
Replace (a space is after the 1):

Code:
\1
From there, you must just do VERY CLOSE analysis of the curly quotes to catch any further errors. Also making sure to check the "apostrophes" (right single quote) closely.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:58 PM   #8
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
It is unfortunate that the keyboards don't allow direct typing of curly quotes.
Macs have two keystroke for them, but that's because Macs don't use the alt key for anything but modifying keyboard input. PCs have always used the alt key for other things (like the old Open Apple and Closed Apple keys) and never adopted it.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:53 PM   #9
Hoods7070
Groupie

Thanks for your input, everyone. I guess I'll just stick with the way I do things now since I'm used to that.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:23 AM   #10
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quite frankly, I usually end up dumping it in Word and do the quotes there and run my macro's (or add-in currently). Fix the quotations and a lot more (missing quotes anyone?). Export it to HTML (not via standard Word of course) and recreate the book. Takes a bit more time, but solves a whole lot of additional errors.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:33 AM   #11
Steadyhands
Connoisseur
Steadyhands began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tablet
I've used this series of search & replaces to convert from single curly quotes to double curly quotes. Saved as a saved search in Sigil an then load all/ replace all. Use with caution until you are sure it's doing what you expect. It's not perfect but gets most of them - expects the text to be decent punctuation in the first place.

Quote:
Name=Quotes
Left Quote
Find=<p class="calibre(\d+)\">‘
Replace=<p class="calibre\1">“
Left quote2
Find=(\p{P}) ‘
Replace=\1 “
Right Quote
Find=(\p{P})’</p>
Replace=\1”</p>
Right Quote2
Find=(\p{P})’
Replace=\1”
The Right Quote2 have a space after the end of find and replace.
Steadyhands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Whatever automated system you put in place, it will still need checking. ’Tis the way of the world.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:48 PM   #13
Hoods7070
Groupie

Well, since from the discussion above it seems my way is as easy and efficient as any other, and not remotely complicated, I think I'll stick with it, bar some day finding a way to force my keyboard to type "smart quotes" as I go.

i.e. a) edit in Sigil correcting quotes - using keyboard straight quotes as needed, then b) converting ALL quotes to straight via search/replace, c) using Book Polish with smart quotes checked - alll quotes are fixed to curly quotes. Three simple steps and it's done, so I suppose there was no point whining in the first place.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:05 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I find the best way to do it is once you have the ePub made, toss it into Calibre and smarten punctuation (no converting allowed). Then open file location, copy the file and put it where you want to work on it. Then you can fix anything that's wrong in the smartening.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:27 PM   #15
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
There are keyboard shortcuts assigned to clips by number. You could put the curly quotes in two clips and use the keyboard shortcuts. I will admit that Ctrl-Alt-0 is not the easiest thing, but it is an option.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote