Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-05-2012, 05:31 PM   #31
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
How do you adjust page refresh? If I tap Home \ Settings \ Reading Options I only see an icon to turn page refresh on and off. There is no way I can see to adjust how many pages pass before the refresh.
If Turned ON then the screen refreshes with every page turn, if OFF it refreshes after a few page turns (not sure how many).
Old 10-05-2012, 06:18 PM   #32
jswinden
Nameless Being

Just read on the Kindle Boards forum about a guy who got a replacement and the replacement is worse than the original. His wife also got one but it is good, so 2 out of the 3 or bad. He said he was going to keep the original and send back the replacement. I probably would have sent back both if it was me. I'm glad my replacement was good. I really feel sorry for those over seas who wind up with a bad one and have the extra headache of returning it from their.
Advert
Old 10-05-2012, 08:30 PM   #33
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
Here is my suggestion:

Sandman
Separate bedrooms work for me~
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:27 PM   #34
Wildgift
Connoisseur
Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Amazon sent me a 3G non special offer to replace my wifi paperwhite. Great customer service and a BIG difference. This one is far less blue in tone, and more neutral. The headlight effect is far less pronounced and I am loving it. Thanks Amazon! Pic to follow.
Wildgift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #35
Wildgift
Connoisseur
Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wildgift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here is the replacement. HUGE improvement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	93505  
Advert
Old 10-05-2012, 10:01 PM   #36
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Looks like I'm going to have to exchange mine. I have greenish diagonal mottling.

This will be the first time I've ever had to exchange a Kindle and I've had them all since K1 (except for the K4).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	daffy4u PW.jpg
Views:	506
Size:	633.1 KB
ID:	93506  
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:42 PM   #37
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Looks like I'm going to have to exchange mine. I have greenish diagonal mottling.

This will be the first time I've ever had to exchange a Kindle and I've had them all since K1 (except for the K4).
Mine has that same annoying diagonal dark spot pattern. A row of 4 spots at the bottom that many people mentioned, plus a second row of 3 spots above and between them, plus a barely visible 3rd row of spots between them.

At darker settings they are less noticeable. But I still prefer it a lot over an external light source build into or a cover.

My only real complaint about the dark zones along the bottom edge are that they place the reading location and percentage in the outer two dark zones where they are hard to read at low light levels in a darkened room. A firmware update (or hack) could move those fields slightly inward along the bottom, into the nearby bright zones, compensating for the minor hardware annoyance with software.

I do not plan to replace it, because as it is, it is still my best night reading device, and I suspect that this problem will be found to some extent in a replacement Paperwhite anyway, so why bother.

Last edited by geekmaster; 10-05-2012 at 10:45 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:46 PM   #38
Wildgift
Connoisseur

Quote:

Yup. Looks like my first PW. They can do much better!
Old 10-05-2012, 10:53 PM   #39
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:

That is pretty bad, like my first one. You can do better. Get them to send you a replacement.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:01 PM   #40
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Elipsa, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
Quote:

Hmm... now that I've seen some pictures, I think mine may have this problem too. I thought I noticed some greenishness and/or redness when reading but I wasn't sure if it was a defect or normal.

My screen looks like this, taken in a dark room with an iPhone (only camera I have) at full brightness. Do you think it warrants replacement? I don't really want to lose my Kindle to read on (already got rid of my NSTWGL), but I don't want to be stuck with a unit that has problems if I don't have to be.

What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo2.JPG
Views:	451
Size:	927.8 KB
ID:	93508  

Last edited by 7hir7een; 10-05-2012 at 11:09 PM.
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:08 PM   #41
Wildgift
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7hir7een View Post
Hmm... now that I've seen some pictures, I think mine may have this problem too. I thought I noticed some greenishness when reading but I wasn't sure if it was a defect or normal.

My screen looks like this, taken in a dark room with an iPhone (only camera I have) on brightness 14/24. Do you think it warrants replacement? I don't really want to lose my Kindle to read on (already got rid of my NSTWGL), but I don't want to be stuck with a unit that has problems if I don't have to be.

What do you guys think?
Def replace.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:12 PM   #42
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7hir7een View Post
Hmm... now that I've seen some pictures, I think mine may have this problem too. I thought I noticed some greenishness when reading but I wasn't sure if it was a defect or normal.

My screen looks like this, taken in a dark room with an iPhone (only camera I have) at full brightness. Do you think it warrants replacement? I don't really want to lose my Kindle to read on (already got rid of my NSTWGL), but I don't want to be stuck with a unit that has problems if I don't have to be.

What do you guys think?
If it bothers you enough or if it causes eyestrain get it replaced. If you get a replacement they let you hang onto the unit being replaced until you get the replacement unit, so you can still read.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:22 PM   #43
jswinden
Nameless Being

I was able to read a couple of hours on my replacement PW this evening without any eyestrain, so I'm pleased! It is in no way as good as the Amazon marketing ads make it out to be, but it is a lot better than using a clip on light, and better than any other eInk reader I've ever used. But Amazon still needs to work on font rendering to make it darker and heavier. Whenever the light level is turned up high enough to render a really white background, the text starts to look light and thin.

Last edited by jswinden; 10-05-2012 at 11:26 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:41 PM   #44
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:

I have some "pinkish" and tan mottling, although not nearly as pronounced as yours I notice it when reading and it is distracting. Definitely a production/QC problem.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:06 AM   #45
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
I am more and more convinced it might have something to do with glue, or humidity, or some other variable factor.
Yesterday, when I got mine, I noticed the spots on the bottom, but it looked otherwise pretty uniform. I left it to charge.
I came back to read on it and, the more I read, the more I noticed a pinkish hue in the upper-middle of the screen. It really got annoying. Not as bad as some of the pics I have seen, but there was a different hue to the middle than to the top or bottom.
I have not used my PW today - been stuck at work. Just pulled it out of the bag now and I see no pink hue whatsoever. Trying different levels of brightness, under different lights... nothing. It's just not there.

The spots on the bottom, where the leds are, obviously persist, and I find them really annoying when reading the WSJ - but less when there is a full page of text, as in a book.

But the pink is gone for sure. Hopefully, for good.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote