Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-28-2013, 03:05 PM   #1
gamba66
Zealot
gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanvon E920
Onyx M92 with Black or White Frame?

Hello,

I've pretty much decided on buying the Onyx M92 but I just cant figure out which color. Normally this decision wouldn't bother me that much but after reading that it does make a difference and with a product at this pricepoint I will just need some feedback before deciding!

So here are the Pros and Cons i've come up with:

Black
+Pearl Display seems whiter (strong illusion because of black frames)
+Black just looking more sleek while white is often prefered by women (just my preference)
-Fingerprints and smudges show on the black frame easily
-When using very small Margins or Hide Margins feature the black frame could distract

White
+Mainly the white frame acting as Margins so that one could use the hide margins feature
+Less Fingerprints etc. (Is this true you white m92 users?)
-Pearl Display gray appearing more prominent than on the black m92

But can the white frame really act as margins? The m92 display is very different color compared to the white of the frame, so do some people really do this?

Thanks so much in advance!
gamba66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:15 PM   #2
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92; Onyx Boox i86ML; Kobo Aura H2O; Dasung Paperlike
I spent considerable amount on making this decision and finally went with black.

While all your points are noteworthy, i will vote for black for creating the illusion of whiter display.
Feher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2013, 03:59 PM   #3
gamba66
Zealot
gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feher View Post
I spent considerable amount on making this decision and finally went with black.

While all your points are noteworthy, i will vote for black for creating the illusion of whiter display.
Thank you for your opinion, im also leaning towards black just because I like black electronics more!

But I would like to zoom often when reading magazines and pdf pages.

Do you still use the "hide margins" function to read .pdf and do the black borders honestly don't distract you?

Thank you very much for your helpful response!
Old 05-28-2013, 04:10 PM   #4
Feher
Addict
Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Feher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox M92; Onyx Boox i86ML; Kobo Aura H2O; Dasung Paperlike
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamba66 View Post
Thank you for your opinion, im also leaning towards black just because I like black electronics more!

But I would like to zoom often when reading magazines and pdf pages.

Do you still use the "hide margins" function to read .pdf and do the black borders honestly don't distract you?

Thank you very much for your helpful response!
Yes, "hide margins" feature is distracting. The screen is few millimeters below the frame, so there is some shadow effect at boundaries when using hide margins feature (i think white or black frame would be equally distracting in this case). I like to keep some margins, for this i use the "universal manual" feature, zoom by two points or i crop my pdf manually in laptop.

Last edited by Feher; 05-28-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Feher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:14 AM   #5
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
I've two readers, M92 black and Samsung EB60 white. I prefer the black frame because when I read with a luminous environment, the white frame is too bright and it's for me troubling.
And it's true, the contrast 'seems' better with a black frame.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2013, 05:46 AM   #6
gamba66
Zealot

Thank you randy11 for your input! I am tending more and more to the black one!

But are there are any user of the white Onyx M92??

For example tuxor was a great fan of the white onyx m92 because of the white frames acting as margins
Old 05-29-2013, 07:24 AM   #7
Kirith
schoolteacher
Kirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Onyx M92 +i62HD(m)+M92(m)x20+M90x13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamba66 View Post
Thank you randy11 for your input! I am tending more and more to the black one!

But are there are any user of the white Onyx M92??

For example tuxor was a great fan of the white onyx m92 because of the white frames acting as margins
I have a white M92. Yes, read books borderless comfortable for the eyes, but the screen seems less white. And it is more easily soiled

У меня есть белый М92. Да, читать книги без полей удобно для глаз, но экран кажется менее белым. И он более маркий
Kirith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:46 AM   #8
Defenderland
Groupie
Defenderland doesn't litterDefenderland doesn't litterDefenderland doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW, M92
If you want to read outside , which IMO is the biggest advantage of e-ink displays, you should go with a black frame, because the white frame is brighter than the white of the electronic paper and therefore in bright sunlight the frame already hurts and distracts, while the screen is still pleasantly to read.
Defenderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:41 PM   #9
tuxor
Addict
tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!tuxor has a thesaurus and is not afraid to use it!

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Icarus Illumina E653
Well, I don't understand the point of all this. I never used a black M92, but I did compare a black Kobo Touch with a white Kobo Touch and the white one just felt better to me, especially because of the less distracting margins.

But in the end, that's utterly subjective and up to your taste. I don't think that "in bright sunlight the frame already hurts and distracts" - what an excessive exaggeration! When you read an ordinary paper book in bright summer sunlight, you will definitely be dazzled, as well. And it's simply the same with a white margin. With agreeably bright sunlight or in a more shadowy environment you won't have that problem.

And I don't think, that the black margin is so bad, that you will be forced to dismiss the "crop margins" feature. That's again an exaggeration. It's only about a certain feeling of discomfort, the intensity of which heavily depends on your personal taste.

Just order both of them and decide for yourself. You do have the right to return them within a period of 14 days after your purchase.

Last edited by tuxor; 05-29-2013 at 12:44 PM.
tuxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:13 PM   #10
Defenderland
Groupie
Defenderland doesn't litterDefenderland doesn't litterDefenderland doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW, M92
Tuxor,
did you compare them in bright sunlight and did you read for half an hour?
Bleached paper hurts in bright sunlight and should not be read without sunglasses. The white margin is as bright as bleached paper and sunglasses should be used, while the reading background is much darker.
For reading outside, the electronic paper should be the brightest part of the page.
Defenderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:11 AM   #11
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
The difference between paper and the white frame of my E60 is that the paper is mat and the frame is bright. So, with many light, the bright surface is not enjoyable.

All this is a question of taste.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote