Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-30-2010, 08:43 AM   #1
MarkusGraf
MarkusGraf began at the beginning.

Device: iliad
Android on Iliad

Hi,
I like the iliad hardware. But I miss the interoperability. I use an android phone too and I always think why can't I do that on the Iliad?
I would so like to have eg. Evernote run on my iliad and just draw notes that I can then find and sort in my Evernote inbox and then add to them again on the iliad when on the go. The iliad has wlan and my mobile phone has tethering. With all the thinking about porting apps to the iliad and make them interoparabel would it not be easier to have the iliad run android. So basically work once on the operating system instead of all the apps?
Isn't android supposed to be based on linux too?
Of course this only makes sense if android supports a pen.
This would turn Iliad into an evernote-client + ebook reader + dokument reader.

dreaming

Markus
MarkusGraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 09:36 AM   #2
modsRule
modsRule began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad
Theoretically it is feasible, and I had already considered doing such a thing (given that my phone is a TyTn II which is running a community provided form of android) but it is likely to take a while to port.

Although much of the code can be taken from Irex's and the Open Source Iliad OS project that was started here a few years ago(seems to have been abandoned), the e-ink display is likely to severely inhbit performance (even me so than the 400MHz processor).

Are you a developer? If so, it is worth reading through the documentation on the android site about porting it to a new device, if not, you will need to find someone to do it (I don't yet know enough about how to tie it all together behind the scenes to do it).
modsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2010, 03:05 PM   #3
modsRule
modsRule began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad
After some further thinking, I see the biggest issue being debugging a kernel without any form of display.
EDIT: They do have a serial console, along with JTAG headers as discovered here.

This means that the first thing that will have to be written is some form of TTY console driver for the e-ink panel (which means we need to find the panel datasheet/spec somehow).

As for testing, there are tools to let us boot a kernel from inside an running linux system, which means that we wouldn't have to flash to the memory every time, but boot it from data stored on a sd-card.

Last edited by modsRule; 10-31-2010 at 02:28 PM.
modsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:09 PM   #4
marvinhowru
marvinhowru began at the beginning.

Device: IREX DR1000S
Android for E-ink devices, WOW, I see you~
Hope DR1000S can one day be equiped with android!
marvinhowru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:46 AM   #5
danito
danito began at the beginning.

Device: ilia irex
is there any idea about this subject?
thanks to eveybody!
danito is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert