Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 03-08-2012, 09:46 AM   #1
sillypoint
sillypoint began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
Formatting font-size of certain elements

Hi,

While creating an ebook I wish to have certain matter (e.g. letters, verses, etc.) to be of a smaller font-size, and perhaps having a larger indent as well. What do you recommend doing?

It'd be best if you know of some software. If there isn't a way, do you know of some place on the Internet where you can learn how the CSS codes function, how to insert them, etc.?

Thank you.
sillypoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:48 AM   #2
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
http://www.w3schools.com/

is an excellent start.

If it looks a little intimidating at first, just start at the top left and boldly work your way down the list. By the time you're done (weeks or years later), you'll be [something resembling] a pro!

Last edited by Rob Lister; 03-08-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2012, 11:54 PM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillypoint View Post
Hi,

While creating an ebook I wish to have certain matter (e.g. letters, verses, etc.) to be of a smaller font-size, and perhaps having a larger indent as well. What do you recommend doing?

It'd be best if you know of some software. If there isn't a way, do you know of some place on the Internet where you can learn how the CSS codes function, how to insert them, etc.?

Thank you.
Welcome to the forum.

In the CSS: .smaller { font-size: smaller; }
in the HTML: <p class="smaller">Whatever your text is</p>

should work, though there are other ways.

My favourite book on learning CSS and HTML is HTML, XHTML & CSS by Elizabeth Castro - very highly recommended. She's also written EPUB Straight to the Point which is also excellent and highly recommended.

Last edited by AlexBell; 03-12-2012 at 01:44 AM.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:38 AM   #4
sillypoint

Thank you for your very helpful replies.

Yesterday I used MS-Word to see whether it would serve the purpose. I saved the document as .html, then opened it through Sigil and saved it as .epub. The required formatting seemed to display correctly in Sigil and also in Calibre's ebook reader. However, it didn't display properly in Cool Reader (I use it to read books on my Android phone).

Is there a workaround? Or I guess I'll have learn html and css like both of you said.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:07 AM   #5
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
The standard HTML output of Word is horrible, the filtered HTML output better, but still not good. It produces very bloated code. Be prepare to clean up a lot of code.
The Sigil and Calibre viewer are basically a webviewer and not representative for a reader.

If you want to use Word, you need to either cleanup the code or use something else to produce clean HTML. I have created a macro for this (it is in the ePUB subforum), but there are other methods.

If you want to create ePUB's, you will have to learn at least the basic (x)html/css. There is also a tutorial on the site which should get you underway.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2012, 08:14 AM   #6
sillypoint

Thank you very much Toxaris, for the tutorial. Thanks a lot!