Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-11-2012, 07:04 PM   #1
Pax
Zealot
Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 3, Sony PRS 650
Smile Development of E-Readers - Next big thing?

Although I am very satisfied with my current E-Reader, I am curious, what do you think will be the next big thing for E-Readers?
How will the next generation of E-Readers look like and what can they do?

I can imagine, that they improve the displays. Probably quicker page turns, higher contrast.
I am not in need of colors, but I can understand that for children books this could be interesting.

Penny for your thoughts!
Pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:06 PM   #2
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Sorry, can't release for a penny... patent pending...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2012, 07:54 PM   #3
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I don't know how much faster Eink can get. As for color I couldn't really care less about it. Lighter, thinner and smaller bezel and longer battery life seem to be the most popular improvements if you look at the smartphone and tablet market.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:16 AM   #4
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
i think the next huge step will be e-ink paper and flexible screens. instead of being a relatively chunky device it'll be wafer thin.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:40 AM   #5
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I hope they don't go wafer thin. Having a little thickness makes it easier to grip and keeps the page flat. Magazines and newspapers with the pages flopping about are hard to read on a bus. I don't want that in a ereader.

I would like a touch sensitive screen that you could write on with a stylus (freehand not typing) and would save that note like an ebook and that you could recall and edit from your library.

Last edited by crossi; 01-12-2012 at 06:45 AM.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2012, 07:44 AM   #6
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Yeah, Graffiti like on a Palm would be cool!
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:29 AM   #7
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
I would like a touch sensitive screen that you could write on with a stylus (freehand not typing) and would save that note like an ebook and that you could recall and edit from your library.
They had that in the Entourage Edge (and possibly one of the Sonys). A great feature and one I use a lot.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:30 AM   #8
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
Something similar to the Pocketbook 902/903 but with a better display, slimmer bezel, optional back-light, etc. It is very close to being perfect in my opinion.
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:43 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
They had that in the Entourage Edge (and possibly one of the Sonys). A great feature and one I use a lot.
Quite a number of readers support free-hand annotation. The BeBook devices are another range that have it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:54 AM   #10
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Quite a number of readers support free-hand annotation. The BeBook devices are another range that have it.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:24 AM   #11
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
The Sonys support free-hand annotation (aka drawing) as well, at least the 350/650/950 does, I don't know if they kept this feature in the T1 or not. But they are saved as drawings, there's no handwriting recognition like Palm's graffiti (which, personally I never got the hang of and always hated!).

As for the future: I am one who believes that dedicated readers will eventually go away. I imagine a tablet with a backlight that can be turned on or off depending on your lighting conditions. It will be color, but b&w text will look as good as e-ink. With the backlight off and used for reading books (as opposed to watching video), it will get as good battery life as e-ink.

In the shorter term, it would be cool to see e-ink with better resolution and darker text/whiter background. If the refresh rates were better, I could also see plugging a keyboard into it and using it as a little word processor. So, an e-ink reader and writer.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:59 AM   #12
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
I would like a whiter white, the black is OK for me.
Waterproof
More robust, a lot more.
I want something I can stick in the back pocket of a cycling jersey and head off into a rainstorm.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:02 PM   #13
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I'd like to see more eInk in phones. the Motorola F3 was a piece of junk. While it toted a battery that could last upto 20 days, I'd have the battery die sometimes after 2 hours. Yeah, that was fun when I went on a trip to chicago, and my new, freshly charged phone died before I was half way there, and had no way of letting my girlfriend know I was safe when I got there.

I'm not big on games, video, etc. Most of what I do on my Android phone could still be done on a phone with eInk. Calendar, text messaging, etc.

Unfortunately, that'd be a niche market....

Last edited by Hellmark; 01-12-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:23 PM   #14
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
disposable, solar powered, thin eink screens, wirelessly connected to the network. An end to the ridiculous notion of copyright.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 11:49 AM   #15
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Screen tech is the driver for ebook reader gadgets.

So far, software features have *not* been a high-volume draw; ebook reader sales for now are more about basic ebook access than about sophisticated software feature sets.

For eInk, near term, we might see plastic substrate panels for lighter, more robust screens and/or low-saturation color displays on the reflective side. Further out, high-saturation reflective color.

For LCD, near term may see the return of transflective to the consumer market (last seen on PDAs) or other incrementally lower-power screens; probably via LED sidelighting and finer-grained lighting control. Longer term, lower power consumption and lighter, more powerful batteries will bring 20-30 hour LCD readers into the 8 ounce range.

Essentially, the race for the true next-gen (high-volume) ebook reader (circa 2014-16) will be decided by whether eink gets to near-LCD color saturation or LCD gets to near-reflective weight and power use first.

Until then, B&W pearl-type eink screens will rule.
We might see incremental contrast improvements and significant refresh-rate improvements but the products using them won't be significantly different than what we see now in the Kindle 4 and Sony T1, to pick just two.

But we're looking at a hardware feature/pricing sweet spot that is going to be with us for a while.

Last edited by fjtorres; 01-13-2012 at 11:51 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote