Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-08-2011, 07:07 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
First of all, even if the measure is approved, the books that were written in 1990 for example wouldn't suddenly become PD. So we would be able to see a visible effect only 20 years from now.
Just in case anyone isn't aware of it, this is a fringe party whose policies stand as much chance of becoming law, as I have of becoming Emperor of the Galaxy.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:42 AM   #17
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
It is a policy to allow the Pirate Party and the Green Party to form a common (larger base)...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2011, 08:17 AM   #18
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Check Project Gutenberg or here (in the e-books tab).
Maybe now, but this was 20 years ago. The internet opened up a lot of stuff that wasn't available back in the days of typewriters and fax machines.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:59 AM   #19
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
Come on guys, how realistic is this:

So I buy a movie, rip it and share it (for no commercial purpose) over p2p network.
If this is legal, it means no-one can make money on the product, once it gone digital. Not a big deal you'd say? Well, apply that to stuff that is digital from the very beginning: software.

Software has been pirated ever since it existed, that never stopped people from buying it.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:16 PM   #20
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Software has been pirated ever since it existed, that never stopped people from buying it.
It stopped some people from buying some software.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2011, 05:39 PM   #21
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
If they become PD, then there would be no need for sales, so there would be no cutting out of the loop. And how much income do authors get each year from a 20 year old book?
Copyright covers a lot more than just books. Meat Loaf's Bat Out Of Hell album, for instanace, first released in the late 70s, still outsells more new albums released today.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 05:43 PM   #22
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
People sell public domain and CC stuff now. Look at B&N in the "Nook Classics" section. Lots of books for sale, despite all being public domain. They get sales off it from people who don't know any better.
Or people who like the convenience of being able to pick up a copy of a PD book they know will display correctly on their reader (I have fits some stuff from other sources on my nook color sometimes), and do so without having to fire up the computer and dig out the USB cable to side load.

There are a lot of different values to obtaining a book. The biggest one is the content, but it's hardly the only one.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:48 PM   #23
taustin
Wizard

The original purpose of copyright isn't to prohibit commercial copying, it is to promote the creation of creative works by protecting commercial value. A distinction that isn't all that subtle, but is lose on many people on both (all) sides of the debate.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:51 PM   #24
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:07 AM   #25
Kubizo
Connoisseur
Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.Kubizo knows the way to San Jose.

Device: Kindle 3 B008 3.1
OK, let's assume that the target of copyright is to maximize the incentive (=profit) of the artists/engineers/programmers/etc..., so that they give their best and produce good stuff.

Before P2P became illegal even for private use in Italy (2004), I downloaded a lot of songs. Quite a few times, I discovered new bands and bought tickets to their concerts. Other times, I liked an album so much that I was not satisfied with the mp3 anymore and I decided to buy the CD. When I stopped using P2P, I stopped going to concerts and buying CDs. What was the impact of banning P2P?

Fortunately now, thanks to Youtube, I started again listening to music for free and occasionally buying CDs and ticket concerts.

While I'm aware that I'm not the typical user, I believe it is not automatically true that copyright is automatically good for authors and bad for users. Sometimes it is bad for both, sometimes it is good for both.

On an unrelated note: while it is true that no company plans for longer than 20 years (or at least it's extremely uncommon), a person might well enjoy the copyright on her/his books for her/his whole life. 20 years might be a little short, especially for books that are not blockbuster since the beginning, but they are appreciated over time.

Ciao!
Kubizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:08 AM   #26
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
The original purpose of copyright isn't to prohibit commercial copying, it is to promote the creation of creative works by protecting commercial value. A distinction that isn't all that subtle, but is lose on many people on both (all) sides of the debate.
That!

And lest there be any debate as to that being the purpose, a quick reference to U.S. Constitution would quickly end it. So Congress gets to decide the length. In doing so, they have to consider [and collaborate with] other countries and their laws.

Is 20 years enough? Why 20? Why not 40? Why not 1000? Who decides? Back to congress.

What about special (or not so special) cases like...Mickey Mouse? Should Disney lose their exclusive right to Mickey and Minney and Goofy and Pluto? I don't think so. Not so long as Disney is alive and kicking (the company, not the man). Not even after a 1000 years.
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:01 AM   #27
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubizo View Post

Fortunately now, thanks to Youtube, I started again listening to music for free and occasionally buying CDs and ticket concerts.

While I'm aware that I'm not the typical user,
Ciao!
Actually you probably are, or at least will be within another 10 years. A whole generation have grown up where any music they might want is available for free in the internet. It's given a massive boost to sales of independent music, with more bands than ever bringing out CDs on the distro circuit. They wouldn't do that if nobody was buying them.

Mainstream manufacturerd music has also benefitted from increased audience figures and merchandise sales at live events. That's why the labels that feed off them now demand a cut from those sales.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:00 PM   #28
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Yet it was illegal and that stopped many from doing it.
Once that becomes legal (Basically once that is not a "bad thing"), we'll get refined versions of the pirate bay with good reputation, much more people would do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Lister View Post
Is 20 years enough? Why 20? Why not 40? Why not 1000? Who decides? Back to congress.
In Europe they forgot that original reason for copyright to exist. (OTOH I don't even know if that applied to Europe anyhow.) Latest reasoning on increasing it from 50 to 70 years was that some artists would earn less, if they don't do it. Which is quite far from "promoting creativity" I'd say.

Last edited by kartu; 10-09-2011 at 02:04 PM.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:41 PM   #29
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
Yet it was illegal and that stopped many from doing it.
Once that becomes legal (Basically once that is not a "bad thing"), we'll get refined versions of the pirate bay with good reputation, much more people would do it.
Lots of musicians, and a few writers, have gone on public record saying they don't care about non-commercial piracy. That pretty much legitimises it from the fan's point of view, and certainly eliminates any risk of prosecution. But those creators still make money from their creations.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:48 PM   #30
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
I don't think you can realistically sanction the non-profit concept of making books available freely. I just about guarantee that this would result in web sites of every book published. For that matter, Google woul do it. An author would sell one copy to google and then it would be downloaded to everyone for free.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote