Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-17-2011, 06:55 PM   #1
mahlon
mahlon began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
transfer files from kindle to pc

Hi. I use a kindle device and kindle for pc software at home and have put kindle for pc on my work computer for lunchtime reading. The firewall at work blocks the whispernet so I can't download content. I've copied the content from my kindle to My Kindle Content in 'documents' (windows 7) and the kindle for pc app can see all the titles but can't open most of them. I can open the user's guide, the welcome letter and a couple of samples but the others give the message "the book could not be opened. please remove the book from your device and redownload it." Which of course, I can't do. Any suggestions?
mahlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:35 PM   #2
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Each individual device is treated differently by the encryption. So that you canNOT move a copy of a book from, say, one pc to another pc. Each needs to download it from your archive. Obviously, the ones you've been able to transfer do not have drm.

The only bypass, questionable behavior, would be to remove the drm so that it can be read on another device. Now whether removing drm is an ethical issue for you, it might be for your employer whose computer you would be installing the book on????
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2011, 07:38 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
You can't just copy the content from one installation of Kindle for PC to another installation of Kindle for PC if the content is "protected" with DRM. The content is encrypted (differently) for each copy of Kindle 4 PC that you have registered to your account. If your work PC can't download the content that you purchased from Amazon, you can't read it on that PC. You only have three choices here:

1. Cozy up to someone in your company's IT department and get them to "relax" the firewall.

2. Remove the DRM from your purchased content at home, and copy the de-DRMed content to your work PC.

3. Only purchase DRM-free mobi's from Amazon (or drm-free mobi's from other sources). You can copy and open these files willy-nilly.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:04 AM   #4
mahlon
mahlon began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
thanks - got it sorted

Thanks for responding - Yeah, I worked it out that only the purchased content couldn't be opened - the out of copyright stuff, samples and user guide opened fine. I work for a big gov agency so individual requests re. firewall restrictions aren't considered so I spent last night surfing deDRM methods. I've got a Kindle 3 so the typical methods didn't work but I did end up sorting it out. I figure I've bought the content and should be able to read it wherever. I'm happy to buy content and have no intention to distribute the deDRMed copies. Still, I don't feel like I should have to mess around like this. Probably should encourage Amazon to consider how they might adjust their DRM. possibly including an identifier for the registered owner and comparing it with the person to whom the device or application is registered - i.e. using the same identifier for content owner and the person to whom the device or application is registered. The DRM should be specific to the owner of the content rather than the device. The way it is now, the relationship of the DRM is to the owner but abstracted by one level via a device. What do you think?
mahlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:00 AM   #5
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
It wouldn't require any change in Amazon's DRM schema. It would only require a change in their servers (to offer the option) and possibly the Kindle for ... software (to allow easy indentification of a particular software installation).

At present there is a provision to allow you to download on any computer a DRM's file tagged for a particular Kindle device. The file can then be sideloaded onto the device and read.

What's missing is the ability to select a registered Kindle software application (Kindle for PC, Kindle for Mac, ...) as the target of the download's DRM. The only way currently available is to download directly from those application.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2011, 10:35 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig
What's missing is the ability to select a registered Kindle software application (Kindle for PC, Kindle for Mac, ...) as the target of the download's DRM. The only way currently available is to download directly from those application.
That would certainly solve a lot of problems. The application installations are listed in the "Download for" dialog, but they're greyed out and unselectable.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
k4pc, kindle