Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-22-2010, 08:16 AM   #16
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Well here is what my pals in IT are telling me. 1) The laptop and netbooks are going to be more powerful and faster than the tablets are, its easier to fit technology into a notebook and netbook then the tablet; 2) Some people use the tablet as a proxy for the laptop - the tablet goes into the classrom to gather the data while the desktop or laptop stays in the dorm room and gets the data uploaded after the class is over, so you get the best of both worlds; 3) forget the ipad, its proprietary and will inevitably cost a lot more then the PC equivilants (we in IT hate apple because its proprietary).
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:11 AM   #17
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Well here is what my pals in IT are telling me. 1) The laptop and netbooks are going to be more powerful and faster than the tablets are, its easier to fit technology into a notebook and netbook then the tablet; 2) Some people use the tablet as a proxy for the laptop - the tablet goes into the classrom to gather the data while the desktop or laptop stays in the dorm room and gets the data uploaded after the class is over, so you get the best of both worlds; 3) forget the ipad, its proprietary and will inevitably cost a lot more then the PC equivilants (we in IT hate apple because its proprietary).
Like I said in several replies, I really can't afford to get a netbook, as they are quite expensive in my country - I guess it's the novelty factor. It would cost me more than half my monthly paycheck to buy one locally. I'm just a lowly assistant working towards her MA.

Number 2 is what I really need: something lightweight I can carry around and mark students present/absent, show them their current attendance/performance, perhaps show a slide or two to illustrate a point. After the lecture, I would be able to upload that data onto my computer which I could then keep in the Faculty room.

I wouldn't be able to afford the iPad even if I wanted it, which I don't.
citac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2010, 11:13 AM   #18
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
I've downloaded and been exploring SlideMe's app, called SAM, in my smartphone.

I've found an office suite, appropiately called OfficeSuite , which opens Word, Excel, Powerpoint, TXT and PDF files and comes in two flavors: the 1.5 and the 2.0 version (OfficeSuite Pro). The 1.5 version has less features, but it costs only 5 dollars. The 2.0 version is full-fledged and costs $15. I feel you're going to use the Pro version in the end, but I guess you'll like to try it first with less cost.

At any rate, here you have the company's site: http://mobisystems.com/

Last edited by Logseman; 10-22-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:32 AM   #19
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
I've downloaded and been exploring SlideMe's app, called SAM, in my smartphone.

I've found an office suite, appropiately called OfficeSuite , which opens Word, Excel, Powerpoint, TXT and PDF files and comes in two flavors: the 1.5 and the 2.0 version (OfficeSuite Pro). The 1.5 version has less features, but it costs only 5 dollars. The 2.0 version is full-fledged and costs $15. I feel you're going to use the Pro version in the end, but I guess you'll like to try it first with less cost.

At any rate, here you have the company's site: http://mobisystems.com/
Thank you very much, I bookmarked the page. Yes, looking at the features I'll probably use the pro version. (I guess this means that I will get the IQ. I still wouldn't mind finding out as much as I can about it, if someone gets theirs some time soon.)
Old 10-22-2010, 02:09 PM   #20
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by citac View Post
How much does it cost? Do the sellers ship to Bosnia, and if so, how high is the shipping cost?

Checking the Archos website, I found that there's a possibility to change country, which I did. Clicking on where to buy, I was presented with a choice of countries - mine wasn't on the list. The closest was the neighboring Croatia. I clicked on the stores. Most didn't have the 101 model, but Archos 9. The prices for the device were €400-450. That's more than half of what I take home in a month. Compare that to €160 for the Pocketbook IQ and €25 for shipping.

Yes, the Archos looks like a lovely device. It has 8GB of internal memory and 16GB of flash memory, latest Android, supports multimedia, has a webcam, but if you don't plan to buy me one for Eid, I don't see myself spending that much money on it.

--
Hm, that sounded confrontational, sorry. I'm just stressed right now with student assignments and postgrad.
It is supposed to ship in November for $299 US. I'm not sure about how much anywhere else. Also, the 701 model is $275, but only has a 7 inch screen.

Here is a link to retailer Tiger Direct (they have it up for preorder).

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...609&CatId=6845
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2010, 03:01 PM   #21
citac
Fanatic

I couldn't find any information about where they ship TO, only where they ship FROM. This tells me they most likely only ship within the US, as they didn't think to provide any more details.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:41 PM   #22
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Have you read any of my articles on Teleread about teaching with the iPad? Too lengthy to summarize here, but as a previous netbook user, the difference for me has been huge and I absolutely would recommend the iPad.

Links here:
http://www.delicious.com/ficbot/Articles--Teleread
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:36 PM   #23
citac
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Have you read any of my articles on Teleread about teaching with the iPad? Too lengthy to summarize here, but as a previous netbook user, the difference for me has been huge and I absolutely would recommend the iPad.

Links here:
http://www.delicious.com/ficbot/Articles--Teleread
No, I haven't, but I will, thank you for the link. However, I feel I should point out right away that I cannot afford an iPad. Add to the price of the device the question of whether they will even ship to Bosnia, and if they will, how much will the shipping cost. Then there are customs fees, and import tax (17% for any electronic device). I did my research. The IQ is still going to cost me less than buying a netbook locally, or importing any of the other devices.

Which doesn't mean I wouldn't buy one of each if I ever won $100 million jackpot...