Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-26-2012, 06:57 AM   #14701
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Spent most of yesterday reading "The Best American Short Stories 2012" - it has some great stuff -- even some that are 'new yorker' style stories

http://www.amazon.com/Best-American-...t+stories+2012

p.s. also a SF story thrown in - Beautiful Monsters

Last edited by kennyc; 11-26-2012 at 02:26 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:37 AM   #14702
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What is a "New Yorker style story", Kenny?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2012, 07:44 AM   #14703
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What is a "New Yorker style story", Kenny?
It's my term for what seems to be many of the stories they publish - but as I say, they seem to be shifting a bit.

basically slice of life kinds of things without real endings/conclusions/resolutions - those sorts of stories drive me crazy.

I've been know to when reading Anthologies skip the New Yorker published stories until last.

Last edited by kennyc; 11-26-2012 at 07:58 AM.
Old 11-26-2012, 07:57 AM   #14704
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^If it were me, I'd read them first knowing that the rest can only get better.

Currently reading We by Yevgeny Zamyatin.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:58 AM   #14705
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
^If it were me, I'd read them first knowing that the rest can only get better.

Currently reading We by Yevgeny Zamyatin.
Good Point!

I did find a gem of a story in a previous edition (2011) that changed my position on them(new yorker published short stories).

Foster by Claire Keegan:
http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/fea...fiction_keegan

It does pretty much have a resolution/conclusion.

Last edited by kennyc; 11-26-2012 at 08:05 AM.
Advert
Old 11-26-2012, 08:09 AM   #14706
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
A very nice mystery. Very well done indeed.

Next: Asimov's SF, January 2013. I got this when it was briefly available at the soon-to-vanish Fictionwise for just $1.86 after discounts. The next issue'll cost me over $3.00 at Amazon, and for a DRMed product.
It was a slightly below average issue for me. One or two of the stories were more what I expect to find in F&SF rather than Asimov's.

Next: Analog SFF, January/February 2013 by Dell Magazine Authors.

This was definitely an above-average issue.

Two time-travel novellas to start with (although I must admit that these were probably the poorest stories in this issue for me, even though I general like time-travel speculation.)

But the four novellettes more than made up for any minor short-comings of the time-travel novellas.

And then there were three equally spendid short stories. I especially enjoyed "The War of the Worlds. Book One, Chapter 18: the Sergeant-Major". Perhaps because I'm British.

Next up: Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover. Darkover Anthology #11.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:03 PM   #14707
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I just finished up Storm Front by Jim Butcher. What an awesome book! I will definitely be continuing the series sometime soon. For now I've started The Honor of the Queen by David Weber.

Also listening to The Hunger Games on audio. I know there's another thread for that, oh well.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:46 PM   #14708
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Currently reading: Second Shift - Order by Hugh Howey
On Deck: Interesting Times by Terry Pratchett
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:22 PM   #14709
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Ok.. not very far into 11/22/63... but so far it is awesome. I have trouble putting it down.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:28 PM   #14710
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Ok.. not very far into 11/22/63... but so far it is awesome. I have trouble putting it down.

BOb
I read that a couple of months ago. I hadn't previously been much of a King fan, but I really enjoyed that one. It's a long book, but it just flew by for me. Even though it's set firmly in American history, the main event it describes is so globally familiar that it didn't matter. Glad to see somebody else enjoying it as much as I did.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:47 PM   #14711
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

BOb
I thoroughly enjoyed it. One of King's best in quite a while.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:54 PM   #14712
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Cold Days, the 14th book in The Dresden Files!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I finished re-reading Ghost Story yesterday, which completes my preparation for the release of Cold Days on November 27th.

I've begun my re-read (again) of James Potter And The Vault Of Destinies in preparation for the Autumn release of the 4th novel in the James Potter series, James Potter and the Morrigan Web.

I've been reading at a little slower rate since starting my re-read of James Potter And The Vault Of Destinies and am a little bit past the half-way point and enjoying it a lot (again). But Cold Days, the 14th book in The Dresden Files was released today and I've put James Potter aside temporarily and begun reading Cold Days!

alansplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:42 PM   #14713
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I started "for the love of Physics" by Walter Lewin today. Physics made fun! I needed to read more none-fiction. I would have started Cold Days today, but I'm not that far into the Dresden Files-series yet anyways. I'm only on book 4 so far . There so much to read and so little time

Last edited by Joy736; 11-27-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:50 PM   #14714
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Sarah Hoyt's Darkship series

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Next up, Darkship Renegates, a sequel to Sarah Hoyt's remarkably good Space Opera Darkship Thieves, which I enjoyed immensely and only read because it was in a Webscription I bought.
Decided I needed to do a re-read of Darkship Thieves. Finished that, and moved on to Darkship Renegades. About 1/2 way through. Enjoying it, but I'd give it no more than a 4 out of 5. But I notice that I'm not putting it down.
CRussel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:03 PM   #14715
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
I'm another who enjoyed 11/22/63, despite not liking Stephen King in general, it's a great story.

Last week I read Saturday the Rabbi Went Hungry, which is the second in the series. Not quite as charming as the first, the rabbi is a bit of a stick-in-the-mud in this one, but interesting nonetheless.

For variety my next book was non-fiction: Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything. Amazingly easy read that made the history of science come to life. I especially liked the ancient history and was dismayed to find out how much I was taught 30+ years ago is obsolete or wrong. Pluto, you let me down and I'll never forgive you.

I've started one of the books I bought in the Cyber Monday spree, The Cases of Susan Dare by Mignon G. Eberhart. I'm two stories in and liking it, which is good since I bought 8 of her books. I'm a sucker for classic mysteries.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote