Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-28-2009, 03:46 AM   #1
AndrewMT
AndrewMT began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-700
Exclamation Petition for PRS-700 Feature/Firmware Update

I would like to create a petition for users who have been let down by Sony's lack of long-term support for the PRS-700 reader.

As many of you know, the relatively new PRS-600 with scribble note and dictionary support has nearly identical internal hardware to the PRS-700. In fact, modified dumps of PRS-600 firmware have been successfully loaded onto the 700, giving the older reader the same features as its successor.

I have had the PRS-700 for almost a year now and it has worked splendidly for me and my reading needs. I was looking forward to upgrading to the Reader Daily Edition and passing the 700 along to a sibling; however, with the recent revelation that Sony could have easily upgraded the 700's features to bring it in line with the 600, I cannot see myself investing in a $399 reader with tenuous support for future development and upgrades.

If you are a PRS-700 user, please let me know how you would like me to word the petition and where you would like me to post it (i.e. sites like iPetition.com or petitionspot.com).

After the petition has been drafted and signed, we can forward the results to feedback@ebookstore.sony.com, Steve Haber (President of Digital Reading Business at Sony), and Howard Stringer (CEO of Sony). Thanks for your help!
AndrewMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:43 PM   #2
dpayment
Connoisseur
dpayment will become famous soon enoughdpayment will become famous soon enoughdpayment will become famous soon enoughdpayment will become famous soon enoughdpayment will become famous soon enoughdpayment will become famous soon enough

Device: PocketBook Pro 902, EB-1150, PRS505, PRS700, Jetbook, Hanlin V3, Kobo
Thumbs up Re: Petition for PRS-700 Feature/Firmware Update

Count me in, I've had my PRS-700 for nearly 2 years now and I love it, but there's a whole hockey-sock full of possible improvements, particularly in light of the new competition hitting the market this year.

Dan
dpayment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:04 PM   #3
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewMT View Post
...If you are a PRS-700 user, please let me know how you would like me to word the petition and where you would like me to post it (i.e. sites like iPetition.com or petitionspot.com).

After the petition has been drafted and signed, we can forward the results to feedback@ebookstore.sony.com, Steve Haber (President of Digital Reading Business at Sony), and Howard Stringer (CEO of Sony). Thanks for your help!
If you haven't done this already, word it however you like and post it wherever you like and I'll sign it. I've waited long enough!

Sony better start supporting their devices or they are going to lose even more share of the market with all of the newly released eBook readers and those on the horizon.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:35 PM   #4
lukasfikr
Enthusiast
lukasfikr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kindle 3, Apple iPad/iPhone 4
I will sign it too.
lukasfikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 04:52 AM   #5
Nvidiot
Connoisseur
Nvidiot began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
As will I! I love my 700, but some extra features like the 600 has would be appreciated
Nvidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:02 PM   #6
stasys
Zealot
stasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enoughstasys will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Glo, Paperwhite
Where I can sign it?
stasys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:36 AM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

Good luck on the petition, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Sony stopped production of the 700 a long time ago and I seriously doubt they will upgrade its firmware ever again. They are currently focusing on the 300, 600, and 900 and I'm sure Sony would much prefer to have you buy a newer model than mess with updates to discontinued models. Besides, I doubt the 700 is worth any attempt at resuscitation. It was a bad design and I suspect Sony is willing to let it die. I also suspect the 600 will soon be allowed to die as well.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:49 AM   #8
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I also suspect the 600 will soon be allowed to die as well.
Another person expressed the same sentiment.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 12:52 AM   #9
dda
dda began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
Well, I would like to join in the petition.
If it is correct that the 600 will soon die along with the 700, then why should they not be laid to rest with the SAME level of firmware.
SONY must consider that if they DEMONSTRATE poor support and upgrades, then users will take that into account when comparing SONY readers to the many others than are becoming available.
dda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:12 PM   #10
katewilly
Enthusiast
katewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavenskatewilly is a rising star in the heavens

Device: sony 700, iTouch, iPhone, nook, iPad 2
Good luck! I would sign it, however, I am not expecting any kind of response. For this reason, I'm unlikely to buy a Sony in the future.
katewilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:21 PM   #11
el.astrologo
Groupie
el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-700BC
You have my signature as well. Let me know should any event transpires.
el.astrologo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:53 PM   #12
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
I'll sign it! (I've already written them several times about this, but I'm still hopeful!)
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:51 AM   #13
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Good luck on the petition, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Sony stopped production of the 700 a long time ago and I seriously doubt they will upgrade its firmware ever again. They are currently focusing on the 300, 600, and 900 and I'm sure Sony would much prefer to have you buy a newer model than mess with updates to discontinued models. Besides, I doubt the 700 is worth any attempt at resuscitation. It was a bad design and I suspect Sony is willing to let it die. I also suspect the 600 will soon be allowed to die as well.

I don't see why not? They've stopped production of the PRS-500 even longer and they are updating them now.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:40 AM   #14
eksor
Connoisseur
eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eksor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs700, i-mate JAMin, smartq v7, GeeksPhone Zero, iPad 3rd Gen
I would sign too. I would even PAY for it (as the 505 users did to get epub on their devices)
eksor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:53 AM   #15
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
This is a such a good idea that I think the petition should be extend to all Sony readers; as a PRS505 user I would love a firmware update to support full justification in epubs and to remove the annonying page numbers in the right hand margin.

I think you have hit the nail on the head: if Sony do not demonstrate adequate ongoing support they why buy Sony in future? At the moment they seem to think that anything over 12 months old is obsolete.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote