Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-28-2009, 06:50 PM   #1
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Wheel of Time re-reading: help

Since Brandon Sanderson is going to finish Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, I've decided to resume my reading, after I stopped in the 3rd book. However, it's been a long time, so I really need to freshen up my memory.

Unfortunately, I don't have the time or will to re-read those 3 books again. I read slowly, it would take forever to read them again. And I don't like to re-read.

So I'm wondering if I can find comprehensive summaries somewhere. Of the whole books or even chapter by chapter. It would be a bonus if that could be found in a format readable by an ereader.

Do you know anything that can help?

Thanks in advance.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:31 PM   #2
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Never read them, but a few seconds with Google brought up both of these, which should be more than adequate:

The Wikipedia article on Wheel of Time, with links to articles on each of the books (which include plot summaries).

or

A whole wiki dedicated to the Wheel of Time series, where you should be able to find more information than you want or need.

And I think there are some tools around here for dumping wiki articles onto your reader.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:06 AM   #3
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
You betcha.. here's a link to the Tor Books Wheel of Time Reread index.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 04:42 AM   #4
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you for the links, guys!

I'm gonna check out a way to dump those to my ereader.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:47 AM   #5
owlrigh
Bibliomanist
owlrigh began at the beginning.

Device: [past:PRS-700, PRS-505, PRS-T2] Now: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung G7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayspooled View Post
You betcha.. here's a link to the Tor Books Wheel of Time Reread index.
Oh, wow. I was unaware of this, but how cool! It makes me want to re-read the series again, along with notes and wiki information and see how the books progress.

I've been waiting for this series to finish for FIFTEEN YEARS. Geeze. One would have thought I'd have given up by now...
owlrigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 03:28 PM   #6
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
I read slowly, it would take forever to read them again. And I don't like to re-read.
I would start reading nr 4 real soon then , because you'll have 8 big ones to go before you even get to the first one by Brandon Sanderson (he's going to write three books to finisch WoT, so in the end it will be a 14 book series).
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 04:01 PM   #7
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Is this series available as an EBook? Had a quick look but didn't find anywhere selling them.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:20 PM   #8
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Well I can't help on the re-read, I only started WOT a few months ago, on book 6 now.

http://www.encyclopaedia-wot.org/ is a good place to get a quick wrap-up of each chapter. I used it a lot during book 5 as I really started to get confused (and given I have found book 5 and 6 really hard to get into until about 200 pages in and then the books seem to take off).
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:23 PM   #9
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
Is this series available as an EBook? Had a quick look but didn't find anywhere selling them.
Nope. I asked on the TOR site when they started the re-read and they said, "well, we have plans to *someday* have e-books". But I haven't seen anything yet.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 06:14 AM   #10
Over
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErwinOtten View Post
I would start reading nr 4 real soon then , because you'll have 8 big ones to go before you even get to the first one by Brandon Sanderson (he's going to write three books to finisch WoT, so in the end it will be a 14 book series).
I would never be able to read those 8 books in 2 months, but I'm not in a hurry. It's just that when there are so many new books, I find it hard to spend time in those that I've already read. So much to read, so little time, I would feel "guilty", if you know what I mean.

About reading speed, I'm a slow slug, compared to many people here, who read more books per month than me in a year (I read about somewhere between 8 and 16 books/year).

OTOH, I've read the mistborn trilogy, by Brandon Sanderson, in a flash. And those are not small books! So I'm curious to read what has he done with WoT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
Well I can't help on the re-read, I only started WOT a few months ago, on book 6 now.

http://www.encyclopaedia-wot.org/ is a good place to get a quick wrap-up of each chapter. I used it a lot during book 5 as I really started to get confused (and given I have found book 5 and 6 really hard to get into until about 200 pages in and then the books seem to take off).
Thanks for the link. Very useful.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:51 AM   #11
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Nope. I asked on the TOR site when they started the re-read and they said, "well, we have plans to *someday* have e-books". But I haven't seen anything yet.
Clearly getting the ebooks out before the release of the 12th book in October would not be a good way to cash-in on the attention that the first post-jordan novel would receive.

Sometimes it seems like they are trying to encourage piracy with their lack of foresight.

On an unrelated note, does all american scifi/fantasy novels always come with such childish looking covers e.g. the uk version of book 11 looks like "UK Knife of Dreams Cover" whereas the american version looks like "American Knife of Dreams cover"
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:19 PM   #12
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
On an unrelated note, does all american scifi/fantasy novels always come with such childish looking covers e.g. the uk version of book 11 looks like "UK Knife of Dreams Cover" whereas the american version looks like "American Knife of Dreams cover"
no.

Last edited by wayspooled; 09-03-2009 at 12:54 PM.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:35 PM   #13
GlennD
Wizard
GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlennD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS350, iPhone, iPad
The Dragonmount site has a lot of good info and some FAQs to help you get up to speed as well. But, be aware that much of it is written assuming you've read the whole series to date so there may be spoilers for you.
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:13 PM   #14
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Before the books come out they should do a digest version of the previous books.

If you left out the sniffing, braid-tugging and skirt-smoothing, and the page-long descriptions of what someone is wearing in what is supposed to be a suspenseful scene, then you could read it in a couple of days.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 04:14 AM   #15
owlrigh
Bibliomanist
owlrigh began at the beginning.

Device: [past:PRS-700, PRS-505, PRS-T2] Now: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung G7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Before the books come out they should do a digest version of the previous books.

If you left out the sniffing, braid-tugging and skirt-smoothing, and the page-long descriptions of what someone is wearing in what is supposed to be a suspenseful scene, then you could read it in a couple of days.
You're not kidding. I always wondered what he meant by "sniffed" and tried it out as a teenager; sounds stupid. Then translated it to a sort of "hmph!", which doesn't sound any better, but at least didn't sound like the women had a weird nervous tic.
owlrigh is offline   Reply With Quote