Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-02-2013, 09:26 PM   #1201
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Version 3.2.1

New version available from first post.

This is a bugfix release. It fixes a problem which affects all previous versions >= 2.0.0, where configuration files present on the USB storage would unconditionally overwrite the configuration in the working directory, thus making changing the settings from the UI impossible.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #1202
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
EDIT:
@NullNix: The files on /mnt/us/opt/jbpatch/ always take precedence over the ones in /var/local/jbpatch. So because you performed a manual sync, you're now essentially stuck with the version that's on /mnt/us. Currently working on a fix which actually considers filetimes correctly.
Oh dear! That's quite unexpected I only did the sync because I was trying to make jbpatch respect its own settings (I discovered the need for a framework restart upon reading the wiki page for a second time: serves me right for reading it for the first time a whole month before installing jbpatch, long enough to forget half of it!)

Your fix appears to work. Sterling job, thank you!

(Now all we need is a hack involving heavy use of ptrace() and/or ELF symbol interposition to provide JBPatch-like functionality to the AZW3 reader!! :P

... though that reader seems so much worse than the Java reader used for MOBI that even though it's time-consuming I'm tempted to do a mass conversion of all my AZW3 stuff to MOBI just to avoid it. Couldn't they at least have tried to make the fonts come out at the same size and line spacing in both readers? As it is I have to fiddle with fonts every time I switch between formats... bah.)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:36 PM   #1203
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Quote:
New version available from first post.

This is a bugfix release. It fixes a problem which affects all previous versions >= 2.0.0, where configuration files present on the USB storage would unconditionally overwrite the configuration in the working directory, thus making changing the settings from the UI impossible.
I have JBPatch 3.2.0 - do I need to update it? and if so, how? If I update, will I lose the settings I've currently got?

Thanks.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:30 PM   #1204
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
-3.2.1 is a bug fix...don't know how specific the bug is or if you would run into it

-as per instructions, just install over the top

-Don't know, I only use it for its hyphenations

-
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:29 PM   #1205
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I have JBPatch 3.2.0 - do I need to update it? and if so, how? If I update, will I lose the settings I've currently got?

Thanks.
Yes, this is recommended - just put the new .bin and update. Your settings will be kept.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:38 PM   #1206
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks, ixtab. Done and updated.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:22 PM   #1207
BeccaPrice
Wizard

Do I have to do something to enable hyphenation?

Before I installed the JBPatch, I'd get the occasional short line where the next word was too long to fit on the previous line. Now the short line is
spread out like this
to make sure that the right margin is fully justified. I'd rather it had a short line than that, if there's an option, but even more, I'd rather there was a hyphenated word.

thanks!
Old 02-03-2013, 07:03 PM   #1208
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:

Before I installed the JBPatch, I'd get the occasional short line where the next word was too long to fit on the previous line. Now the short line is
spread out like this
to make sure that the right margin is fully justified. I'd rather it had a short line than that, if there's an option, but even more, I'd rather there was a hyphenated word.

thanks!
No, after you install JBPatch, hyphenation is automatically enabled (only for old mobi, not kf8). You had to manually disable it if you did not want it. The default setting for minimum first and last syllable is set to 3. That works very well. If you want even more hyphenation, I suggest you change it to 2 start, 3 end. That works good for me. Why not both 2? Well, if you set both to 2 it will hyphenate undo to un- do. For me personally it is better if 4 letter words not be broke up.

Edit: oh also, there is an option to enable ragged edge. That will just like the normal Kindle behavior create left aligned non justified lines on occasions where a line would have too much white space to look good stretched out. Not sure if you meant that you like that or that you don't.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 02-03-2013 at 07:08 PM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:05 PM   #1209
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:

spread out like this

thanks!
Are you sure that the book is in .azw or .mobi format? Sounds like an .azw3 book, where JBPatch can't do anything.

That said, if it *is* a mobi book, and has the correct language metadata, then yes, hyphenation should work. You can enable "occasional ragged lines" from the patch options. And you can check the jbpatch log file on the system tab of the UI, to see if there are any warnings. More documentation on the Wiki.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:08 PM   #1210
BeccaPrice
Wizard

Quote:
Are you sure that the book is in .azw or .mobi format? Sounds like an .azw3 book, where JBPatch can't do anything.
Ah, that's the issue - it's AZW3. I'll know to convert my books back to mobi from azw3 then. Thanks!

(I did read through the wiki, but must have missed this detail.)
Old 02-03-2013, 07:12 PM   #1211
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
How come the margins work in azw3? Is there a part that both apps share?
Old 02-04-2013, 03:13 AM   #1212
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
How come the margins work in azw3? Is there a part that both apps share?
The external application is still controlled from a small Java "stub" reader, which tells it to turn pages etc. (the communication is via HTTP, actually). So I assume that the stub can also tell the actual viewer what margins to use. That's just an educated guess though, I haven't investigated this any further.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:48 AM   #1213
hanog
Enthusiast
hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hanog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hello ixtab!

I have a PW with fw5.3.3 (jailbreak,devcerts, rescuepack,kindlet,jbpatch,python,screensaver hack)

I have two questions.

JBPatch Log:

W: The Font Size Patch does not support locale "en_US". This patch may not work as expected.

What does it mean? It's critical?

I tried make localization file for JBPatch.
I used this file for source jbpatch-l10n-en.zip then I translated to hungarian.
When I'm done, I tested. It seems to be ok, but in the log appear a W: message
I don't remember exactly what.
Something like that: W: line 1 file /var/local/jbpatch/com.mobileread.ixtab.jbpatch.ui.kindlet.JBPatchUI-en.txt missing =

I checked the original "en" source and my version, is it same (except translations).

This is the translated version: com.mobileread.ixtab.jbpatch.ui.kindlet.JBPatchUI-en.txt

At last but not least, thanks for your awesome work!
hanog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:17 AM   #1214
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanog View Post
Hello ixtab!

I have a PW with fw5.3.3 (jailbreak,devcerts, rescuepack,kindlet,jbpatch,python,screensaver hack)

I have two questions.

JBPatch Log:

W: The Font Size Patch does not support locale "en_US". This patch may not work as expected.

What does it mean? It's critical?
Ooops. No, it's not critical at all, it's just a lapsus (I forgot to treat en_US as a special case). You can safely ignore the message, and it doesn't affect the functionality in any way. Thanks for the hint, I'll make the message go away with the next release version.

Quote:
I tried make localization file for JBPatch.
I used this file for source jbpatch-l10n-en.zip then I translated to hungarian.
When I'm done, I tested. It seems to be ok, but in the log appear a W: message
I don't remember exactly what.
Something like that: W: line 1 file /var/local/jbpatch/com.mobileread.ixtab.jbpatch.ui.kindlet.JBPatchUI-en.txt missing =

I checked the original "en" source and my version, is it same (except translations).

This is the translated version: Attachment 100663
The file is ok, except that it contains the UTF-8 Byte Order Mark at the beginning, which JBPatch doesn't seem to like. Just save it without the BOM (or ignore the warning )
Code:
# your file:
file com.mobileread.ixtab.jbpatch.ui.kindlet.JBPatchUI-en.txt 
com.mobileread.ixtab.jbpatch.ui.kindlet.JBPatchUI-en.txt: UTF-8 Unicode (with BOM) text, with CRLF line terminators
# all other files:
file *JBPatchUI*
com.mobileread.ixtab.jbpatch.ui.kindlet.JBPatchUI-de.txt:    UTF-8 Unicode text, with CRLF line terminators
com.mobileread.ixtab.jbpatch.ui.kindlet.JBPatchUI-en.txt:    ASCII English text, with CRLF line terminators
com.mobileread.ixtab.jbpatch.ui.kindlet.JBPatchUI-es.txt:    UTF-8 Unicode text, with CRLF line terminators
com.mobileread.ixtab.jbpatch.ui.kindlet.JBPatchUI-fr.txt:    UTF-8 Unicode text, with CRLF line terminators
com.mobileread.ixtab.jbpatch.ui.kindlet.JBPatchUI-it.txt:    UTF-8 Unicode text, with CRLF line terminators
com.mobileread.ixtab.jbpatch.ui.kindlet.JBPatchUI-pt.txt:    UTF-8 Unicode text, with CRLF line terminators
Old 02-04-2013, 08:23 AM   #1215
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
The external application is still controlled from a small Java "stub" reader, which tells it to turn pages etc. (the communication is via HTTP, actually). So I assume that the stub can also tell the actual viewer what margins to use. That's just an educated guess though, I haven't investigated this any further.
Ah, thank you for explaining. That is a very welcome side-effect.

Tags
jbpatch, kindle touch hacks