Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-06-2012, 05:07 AM   #1
Dreamnine
Enthusiast
Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, iPod Touch 5
Which ereader should I use on my iPod Touch?

I liked Stanza on my old Touch, but it is now letterboxed on the 4" screen and freezes when I go into settings.

I like iBooks - it's a nice app but I would prefer something with a bit more customisation, preferably one where I can alter text/background colours, margins, etc.

Have you any recommendations?

Thanks
Dreamnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:59 AM   #2
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
The closest to Stanza is ShuBookSE. The interface seems to have been liberally copied from Stanza, so should be familiar
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:06 AM   #3
Dreamnine
Enthusiast
Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm against paying for an app if I don't have to I just spent £250 on the device.

I tried out Bluefire which is quite good but I want an inbuilt dictionary.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:19 AM   #4
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
I'm against paying for an app if I don't have to I just spent £250 on the device.

I tried out Bluefire which is quite good but I want an inbuilt dictionary.
It's $1.99. Please.

You may as well be against buying furniture because you just spent thousands on a house.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I've never paid for any apps for my touch. If it ain't free, I don't need it.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:36 AM   #6
Dreamnine
Enthusiast

What annoys me is that Stanza worked fine on the 4th Gen. but I can't stand it letterboxed now, so I need a new app.

Yeah, I won't pay for an app unless it's really good like SonicMaxPro.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:52 AM   #7
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I've never paid for any apps for my touch. If it ain't free, I don't need it.
Quote:
This is why we can't have nice things.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:34 PM   #8
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
Oh come on. Priorities. Everyone has priorities. Maybe s/he cannot buy just now. Money doesn't grow on trees.
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:17 PM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
My apps don't come cheap; they have ads.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #10
holymadness
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexutix View Post
Oh come on. Priorities. Everyone has priorities. Maybe s/he cannot buy just now. Money doesn't grow on trees.
Fair enough, and in any case I would recommend he use the free Kindle app.

What they said doesn't have much to do with ability to pay, though. It's about willingness. I am exasperated by the attitude that everything should be free, or that any app over $0.99 is a rip-off. When people refuse to support software, one of two things happens:

1) Developers stop making software
2) Developers resort to less savoury ways of making money, like freemium business models and advertising

Either way, customers lose.
Quote:
My apps don't come cheap; they have ads.
Exactly.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:23 PM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Exactly.
It doesn't bother me.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:34 PM   #12
Dreamnine
Enthusiast

Kindle is a fail because it won't read any of my epubs and I'm not about to convert any of them.

I want something that will read epubs and has good customisation, kinda like Aldiko on Android. I don't really mind paying for a good app, but Stanza was free and I've found nothing matching that so far.

Last edited by Dreamnine; 11-06-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:38 PM   #13
holymadness
Guru

Quote:
It doesn't bother me.
I'm not surprised. Most people of indifferent taste aren't bothered by billboards at every intersection or twenty minutes of commercials before a movie either.

There is an unfortunate spillover that results from that sort of niggardly attitude, though. I have spoken to developers who decline to release paid versions of their apps because embedding ads is more profitable. Not to mention the now-routine practice of collecting and selling user data to marketing companies. As the saying goes, if you aren't paying for it, you're the product.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
I'm not surprised. Most people of indifferent taste aren't bothered by billboards at every intersection or twenty minutes of commercials before a movie either.

There is an unfortunate spillover that results from that sort of niggardly attitude, though. I have spoken to developers who decline to release paid versions of their apps because embedding ads is more profitable. Not to mention the now-routine practice of collecting and selling user data to marketing companies. As the saying goes, if you aren't paying for it, you're the product.
Works for me
Old 11-06-2012, 08:18 PM   #15
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
What annoys me is that Stanza worked fine on the 4th Gen. but I can't stand it letterboxed now, so I need a new app.

Boy, are you lending credence to the myth of Scottish behaviour!

Try Apabi. Otherwise its Bluefire or iBooks for you. You want dictionaries, you have to pay.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote