Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-05-2011, 12:45 PM   #1
mdovell
Zealot
mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle DX
Kindle Library book question

So I took a book out.

Works fine..I can view it in cloud too

I downloaded the book to the pc and then to the kindle...

in cloud it expired but on kindle it hasn't...I'm not complaining but I was under the general impression that files were to be automatically deleted upon syncing or that after x number of days it would stop working...

If they want to give out books free that's fine but I would find this to be quite odd
mdovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:17 PM   #2
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I also thought it was to be deleted after the loan period was up.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:53 PM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
It's deleted when you do a synch at least on my K3 it does and I get a message about it on there too. It stays in your Archive till you go to your MYK and get rid of it. I guess they want you to buy a book you already read.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:59 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
It's deleted when you do a synch at least on my K3 it does and I get a message about it on there too. It stays in your Archive till you go to your MYK and get rid of it. I guess they want you to buy a book you already read.
I think if you delete it, any notes/highlights you may have made go away also. I've been meaning to verify this..

And yes, they'd be happy to have you purchase the book.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:08 PM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I think if you delete it, any notes/highlights you may have made go away also. I've been meaning to verify this..

And yes, they'd be happy to have you purchase the book.

Ah that's makes sense I don't use notes or highlights. I cringe when I see it in a real book. So i plan to delete them. I have checked out two so far on my Kindle. It's nice to be able to do but I like ADE where it tells how much time is left. It sure is handy when you have 3 Libraries you check out from.

Do anyone know if you purchase the kindle book if any goes to the library? I can purchase a book on my library's site and they get a cut from it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:57 PM   #6
cfo
Connoisseur
cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KSO, iPhone4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
No. Not true.

Quote:
Amazon: Customers will be able to check out a Kindle book from their local library and start reading on any Kindle device or free Kindle app for Android, iPad, iPod touch, iPhone, PC, Mac, BlackBerry, or Windows Phone. If a Kindle book is checked out again or that book is purchased from Amazon, all of a customer's annotations and bookmarks will be preserved.
I've made highlights in Kindle library books, then I either (1) deleted the book from my device or (2) "returned" a library book and both times, the highlights are available.
cfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:35 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Here's what I've determined. The first time I connected to wireless after my loan period expired (or I returned it), the library book is removed from my Kindle and replaced with a stub-book/file of sorts (azw file). That stub book/file consists of nothing more than a cover, a message that my loan has expired, and a link to purchase the book. At that time, the companion file (mbp) was renamed so that it was associated with that stub book. The mbp file remained on my Kindle as long as I left that stub book on it. As soon as I deleted that tiny stub book... bye, bye companion file. Maybe they keep a copy on the server that will show up if I re-borrow or purchase, but for now... my companion file went away.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:01 AM   #8
krm0789
Enthusiast
krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfo View Post
No. Not true.

I've made highlights in Kindle library books, then I either (1) deleted the book from my device or (2) "returned" a library book and both times, the highlights are available.
But there's also the "delete from library" option. Like tomsem, I am under the impression that if you take *that* step, you then lose notes & highlights.
krm0789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:58 PM   #9
cfo
Connoisseur
cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KSO, iPhone4
Quote:
Originally Posted by krm0789 View Post
But there's also the "delete from library" option. Like tomsem, I am under the impression that if you take *that* step, you then lose notes & highlights.
Well, I have done *that* as well and my highlights are still present. You should try it out for yourself instead of being "under the impression."

Edit- Even Amazon says that your annotations (i.e., notes and highlights) and bookmarks are kept on file. I already quoted their announcement in my previous post.

Last edited by cfo; 10-09-2011 at 05:12 PM.
cfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:50 AM   #10
krm0789
Enthusiast
krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krm0789 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfo View Post
Well, I have done *that* as well and my highlights are still present. You should try it out for yourself instead of being "under the impression."

Edit- Even Amazon says that your annotations (i.e., notes and highlights) and bookmarks are kept on file. I already quoted their announcement in my previous post.
Thanks for the snarky response
krm0789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:59 AM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well my highlights for my library book are gone (the companion mbp file). I don't know where they went. I didn't delete them manually or anything. All I did was delete the expired books from my Amazon library (archive). So I'm not quite sure what the deal is yet. If the book is gone, how would I access the highlights and bookmarks to verify their existence anyway?
Old 10-10-2011, 01:07 PM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
If the book is gone, how would I access the highlights and bookmarks to verify their existence anyway?
Check it out again.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:17 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Check it out again.
I'm thinking that might be the only way. But I'm not that interested in finding out. It's not really a cool enough feature to warrant that much research. I was just curious.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:40 PM   #14
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Check it out again.
Or buy it.

I just got an email from Amazon letting me know that my first library ebook is due back in three days. They were nice enough to include a "Buy this book" link.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:00 PM   #15
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post

I just got an email from Amazon letting me know that my first library ebook is due back in three days. They were nice enough to include a "Buy this book" link.
Very nice.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote