Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 07-03-2007, 09:16 AM   #16
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You can register (I think) 6 devices from one account. That means one computer, and 5 Readers.
Yup, exactly correct, any mix of up to 6 devices on a given account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sony (IMHO) is the last comany to be able to create a new ebook format and get away with it. I don't think the others have the clout to do so.
I certainly hope it's the last to do so!

With D.E. on the horizon, I don't think there are likely to be too many out there goofy enough to even think about giving it a try.

I really do think that D.E. has the potential to trump the entire format war -- I mean, Adobe almost did so with PDF, and it's not even a decent e-book format!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 09:21 AM   #17
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Do flash cards count as a device?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2007, 09:27 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No. A "device" is a PC or a Reader. Eg, you can have 1 Reader and 5 PCs on the same account, or 5 Readers and 1 PC, or 3 Readers and 3 PCs, etc etc.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 09:29 AM   #19
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can you store a DRMd book on a card? If so it has to count as a storage device!?!
Old 07-03-2007, 09:31 AM   #20
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Yes, yvanleterrible, but the ConnStore doesn't count them that way.

Probably a good thing, come to think of it, who'd want to have to register every memory card they used!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2007, 09:32 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, because the file is actually READ on either the PC or the Reader in which the card is inserted. It's the "decoding" of the file which requires the registered device, not its static storage. Once you've download the file from Connect, it doesn't matter if you store it on a memory card, a hard disk, a DVD, or even a floppy disk. That's just storage.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 09:40 AM   #22
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Thanks for the clarifications!
Old 07-03-2007, 10:34 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The program is CLIT 1.8. You can get it by doing a Google search. CLIT.exe is the name. You can use it to convert to HTML or just breaking the DRM. You have a few choices. If you convert to HTML you can use html2lrf to convert to LRF or if you ust remove the DRM you can use lit2lrf to convert to LRF or finally load the LIT into Book designer and work with it from there.

html2lrf and lit2lrf are part of the libprs500 package.

html2lrf - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10582
lit2lrf - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11618

Book Designer and the current update
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11786
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 11:33 AM   #24
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What "some people may feel", and what is legal are, however, two different things. For example, under UK copyright law, "fair use" entitles you to make a copy of one chapter of a book, or one article from a magazine. Scanning an entire book is most definitely not "fair use".
Sorry, I really do try to remember to specify country on things like this. "Fair use" is defined quite differently in different countries-- and very vaguely in the US, which is the location I was referring to. Wikipedia has a nice overview.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 02:18 PM   #25
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
There are two PDA formats that I am aware of: Mobipocket and Palm eReader. They are about equal in availability. I am not certain, but I think they each have a limit on the number of device you can read an ebook on. Both formats can be read on a PDA running Palm or Windows Mobile. I don't know about eReader, but I do know that Mobipocket can also be read on your Windows computer. I've tried it, it's okay.
I have not used eReader in more than a year, but I am pretty sure this info is still correct. I would still be with them, but they don't have software for my new handheld (Nokia 9300), so I switched to a dedicated reader (eBookwise).

While you are right about the device limitations on Mobipocket, there are no limitations on the number of devices for eReader. Once you download a book you can put it on any device that their software runs on, and enter your name and an 'unlock code,' and start reading. The gotcha is that the code is the credit card number you used to purchase the book. Pretty safe bet you are not going to share that file with your unlock info.

The eReader software is available for PC, and it is one of the few with DRM that is available for the Mac!
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote