Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-27-2019, 05:41 AM   #1
Odyssee
Connoisseur
Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kindle Basic 11
problem with inserting metadata

Searching the forum, I couldn't find anything about my metadata problem so here goes.

I use the latest version of Calibre (3.46).
Lately I have a problem with inserting metadata in my epub's. The metadata doesn't show up when I open the epub.

This is what I do.
In the Edit Metadata window I download the metadata which then shows up in the Comments screen.
I click OK and then I click Convert Books, I click Structure Detection and tick the box "insert metadata as page at start of book".
After the conversion (to epub) the metadata doesn't show up when I open the epub in ADE or on my Kobo ereader.
When I click Edit Book I open the jacket.xhtml file and all the metadata is there. How strange.

NB When I convert to kepub and open the epub with ADE or on my ereader all the metadata is there.

Is there something I do wrong? How can I solve this problem because I want to keep converting to epub.
Odyssee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 06:07 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Maybe its not where you expect to see it. I make a couple of adjustments in the editor to get jackets to appear where I want it them - at the back of the book, with an entry at the end of the ToC.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 06:11 AM   #3
Odyssee
Connoisseur
Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.

No alas, it simply is not there. I checked everything.
And I prefer to have my metadata at the beginning after the cover page.
Mind, the usual header is there but the rest is blank.
Old 07-27-2019, 06:16 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Calibre Metadata appears (visible page to the user) in the Jacket and the OPF (which what is used by the device).

The Metadata on each xHTML file is not updated (or used by many devices)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 06:27 AM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyssee View Post
What do you mean by the usual header being there?

If you customised the jacket maybe the customisation has gone bad. Check the xhtml and css files in the ...\resources\jacket directory in calibre config.

BR
Old 07-27-2019, 07:04 AM   #6
Odyssee
Connoisseur

The usual header is like this

I didn't customize the jacket.

Last edited by Odyssee; 07-27-2019 at 07:17 AM.
Old 07-27-2019, 07:28 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
After the conversion, you are sending the book to your Kobo device? And the header part of the jacket page is there, but not the rest? If so, that could mean an error in the page. Kobo uses the Adobe RMSDK for epubs. It is non-forgiving of errors in the book code. If there is an error, it will probably not render the rest of the chapter. Or it might not render anything in the chapter and show a blank page.

I would suggest opening the converted book in the calibre editor and running the error check. If there is an error on the jacket page, fix it and see what happens on the device. It will probably mean there is an error in the jacket template you are using. Or it could be something in the metadata isn't being encoded properly or clashes with the rest of the jacket code.

Of course, I don't think the jacket is really needed on the Kobo devices. The firmware supports displaying the metadata separately. And you can use a metadata plugboard to populate this with extra data.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 07:37 AM   #8
Odyssee
Connoisseur

Thank ypu David.

When I check the book like you suggested, I get these 2 errors:

CSS: Property: Unknown Property name. [376:3: -aw-tabstop-align]****[stylesheet.css]
CSS: Property: Unknown Property name. [377:3: -aw-tabstop-pos]****[stylesheet.css]

Warning [1 / 2]
stylesheet.css (line: 376 column: 3)
This CSS construct is not recognized. That means that it most likely will not work on reader devices. Consider replacing it with something else.
Old 07-27-2019, 08:32 AM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank ypu David.

When I check the book like you suggested, I get these 2 errors:

CSS: Property: Unknown Property name. [376:3: -aw-tabstop-align]****[stylesheet.css]
CSS: Property: Unknown Property name. [377:3: -aw-tabstop-pos]****[stylesheet.css]

Warning [1 / 2]
stylesheet.css (line: 376 column: 3)
This CSS construct is not recognized. That means that it most likely will not work on reader devices. Consider replacing it with something else.
The first two should not be problems. Unknown CSS properties should just be ignored. The last error is probably the problem. I can't remember the whole stylesheet gets ignored with errors like this, or if it is just everything from that line. If the rest of the book is working, it is probably the latter. The calibre conversion appears to append the jacket stylesheet to the existing stylesheet in the book. If there is an error at the end of the books stylesheet, or in the jacket's stylesheet, this would probably be where it is in the resulting book. Fixing the error should get it working.
Old 07-27-2019, 09:23 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I agree with David.
Something is corrupt. I suspect the CSS has a tiny (visually) error. Like a semi-colon where a colon should be.
RMSDK is not very tolerant of SYNTAX errors, but those 2 errors should work (be ignored).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 05:38 PM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@Odyssee - can you see the jacket in the calibre desktop viewer?

I converted Kovid's DOCX Demo to EPUB, on a freshly installed 3.46 install, the only thing I changed was to tick the "Gimme a jacket" box in Structure Detection - this is what I see in the viewer

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2019-07-28 073346.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	172618

I am attaching the docx and epub (in a zip). Try it on your Kobo.

BR
Attached Files
File Type: zip DOCX Demo - Kovid Goyal.zip (2.06 MB, 62 views)
Old 07-28-2019, 02:43 AM   #12
Odyssee
Connoisseur

Yes BetterRed I see the jacket in de calibre viewer with all the metadata.
On my reader and in ADE I see only the jacket header but no metadata.

Alas fixing errors in the CSS is beyond me.
But it is reaasuring to know that the problem is only in this specific ebook. That was confirmed because I ran some tests with other ebooks and there everything was okay.

Last edited by Odyssee; 07-28-2019 at 02:49 AM.
Old 07-28-2019, 04:28 AM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:

But it is reaasuring to know that the problem is only in this specific ebook. That was confirmed because I ran some tests with other ebooks and there everything was okay.
Aaah, so its just a particular book, that's good to know.

If you have downloaded Comments for the book try deleting them, IMO that's the metadata item most likely to create problems.

You can remove, add and replace jackets using the Polish Book tool - you can either add it to a toolbar, or simply select the book and press 'P'. It'll be faster than converting - and for this problem its a scalpel rather than a meat cleaver.

BR
Old 07-29-2019, 09:02 AM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Are you talking about BR's book here? When I look at it on my Kobo devices, it is the same as the screenshot the BR posted. There isn't anything missing.
Quote:
Post the CSS file and we can probably tell you what is wrong.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:05 AM   #15
Odyssee
Connoisseur

stylesheet.rar

Hope I am doing this right. This is the stylesheet.css