Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-14-2015, 12:12 PM   #1
jayk
Enthusiast
jayk doesn't litterjayk doesn't litterjayk doesn't litter

Device: Iliad
Kobo Reader and Bookstore for non-drm or drm-removable books?

Hello,

Apologies if this has been asked before. I've been searching the forum and the wiki and can't find an answer.

I own a Kobo Aura HD (awesome device) and I'm trying to figure out where I can buy ebooks for it that are either DRM free or DRM removable?

Where do you buy your books and how do you deal with the DRM mess?

A few months ago, as a former nook owner, I got the shock of realizing all the books I bought and paid for could not be read on my new Kobo. I figured that out and with the help of Calibre was able to get my books onto my Kobo... and was thus able to buy new books on the nook store until they changed the keys thing and now I can't again.

I don't want to just switch to the Kobo store and find myself in the same situation a year from now where my paid-for books from the kobo store can't be read except on my Kobo.

I am happy to pay for my books, but I really don't know what to do now or where to get my ebooks. I'm a little bit angry at the bookstores for this mess and I'll be honest there is a part of me that just wants to pirate already-broken books just so I know I will not suddenly lose my books... But I do not want to punish Authors for the stupidity of these corps.

So... any help? Where do you buy your books? How do you deal with this stuff?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Jay
jayk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:24 PM   #2
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
All you need to do is buy any standard ePub files, ie except Nook or Apple, then you can view them on your Kobo. Or similar plugins for calibre exist for standard ePub s if that takes your fancy more
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2015, 12:54 PM   #3
jayk
Enthusiast

Thanks. I've figured out how to use Calibre with epub and even do the DeDRM thing (when my nook keys worked)

I guess my question is really - is there a general purpose bookstore where I can get the regular epubs you mentioned?

I've looked at the wiki and there seem to be publisher-specific or group-specific bookstores, but is there another one where I can get the normal epubs you are talking about? Failing that, is there a way to de-drm kobo-store purchased books?

What I liked about the nook store is that if I saw a book or was recommended a book, I could go there and likely find it. I don't mind going through a little work to do it... but it seems like the larger ones are ibooks - nook - kobo, and they are all DRM.

On the whole I'm just trying to figure out how to keep the books I buy and not lose access to them when my preferred device packs in and I have to buy a new one or whatever.

Jay
Old 03-14-2015, 02:16 PM   #4
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
i use sainsburys ebook store also i buy off kobo and smashwords
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 03:11 PM   #5
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
any ebook store which is not owned by an e-reader hardware maker should fit the bill.
so sainsbury, as already mentioned, waterstones ( if they still sell ebooks... ) ..

they all use adobe DRM so once you have a personal ADOBE id, your books will work on any reader that has that key installed. So you are safe so long as adobe don't go bust or change the rules. they allow up to 9 linked devices I believe.

me, I'd rather strip the protection completely and be super safe, but if you want to be 100& legal...
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2015, 05:10 PM   #6
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayk View Post
... A few months ago, as a former nook owner, I got the shock of realizing all the books I bought and paid for could not be read on my new Kobo. I figured that out and with the help of Calibre was able to get my books onto my Kobo... and was thus able to buy new books on the nook store until they changed the keys thing and now I can't again.
There's a new plug-in (v6.2.0) for Calibre that will help you with the new Nook key. More info here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...58#post3061958

Also this: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...84#post3062384
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 06:43 PM   #7
jayk
Enthusiast

Thanks odamizu. That allowed me to get my new key and actually add the last book I bought to my kobo.

So... at least temporarily that solves my nook store problem... but I'd rather not support a company that intentionally does that.

I like the sound of Kobo / Adobe digital editions, as at least it's not in one bookstore's hands... cybmole- so do you do the Adobe Digital Editions and just nuke the DRM somehow, or do you do something else?

Thanks!

Jay
Old 03-14-2015, 08:38 PM   #8
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
... I'd rather not support a company that intentionally does that ... I like the sound of Kobo / Adobe digital editions, as at least it's not in one bookstore's hands...
BN's just getting a lot of flak right now because they tightened up their DRM to be more like other vendors.

Vendors that use Adobe are no safer -- in fact, they could be worse. Last year, Adobe added what they're claiming is unbreakable "hardened DRM" to Adobe Digital Editions starting with version 3.0 (more here). So far no vendor (that I know of) has implemented it, but if any of them decide to switch it on, Alf's current tools won't work.

Also, with Kobo, not all ebooks are available as straight epub. Some are only available in Kobo's proprietary kepub format that can only be read on Kobo devices. There's another plug-in that can help you with that, but the point is, you need to jump through hoops with all ebook vendors if you want fully portable books. Which hoop is "better" or "easier" is debatable. As far as I'm concerned, it's pretty much a matter of personal preference.

Last edited by odamizu; 03-14-2015 at 10:26 PM.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 11:09 PM   #9
jayk
Enthusiast

Hmm. I see your point. Well... Perhaps I'll stick with the nook store until my key stops working again... at least the process is pretty straightforward and I know what I'm going to get.

I do love the kobo hardware though. I'm a solid convert to the Kobo Hardware. It's too bad companies can't compete on quality and instead insist on artificial lock-in.

Jay
Old 03-15-2015, 12:45 AM   #10
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I have no trouble deDRMing any Kobo book - I use an ancient version of ADE and the DeDRM tools, or the obok plugin for kepub-only books. You can also buy Kindle ebooks, disinfect, and convert to epub - this is very straightforward too.

I suggest doing this immediately for any book you've bought, so you don't have to wonder what might happen to your books in the future. Then if they do end up switching to 'hardened' DRM, you'll know straight away and can stop buying from that source until the tools are updated accordingly.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 02:14 AM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
ePub stores (incomplete list)...

B&N (uses "special" version of Adobe's DRM)

Stores that use "standard" DRM for their DRM'd books
Google Play
eBooks.com
OmniLit
Books a Million
Kobo (note some books not available as a direct ePub download, only kePub which is handled a bit differently)

Stores that sell DRM-free only ePub's
Smashwords
Baen eBooks
Many small publisher websites

Then of course there is Amazon, which doesn't sell ePub, but... It's no harder to buy a book from Amazon & deDRM it than it is an ePub and conversion is very quick & easy using Calibre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I suggest doing this immediately for any book you've bought, so you don't have to wonder what might happen to your books in the future. Then if they do end up switching to 'hardened' DRM, you'll know straight away and can stop buying from that source until the tools are updated accordingly.
Very sound advice.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 02:55 AM   #12
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
cybmole- so do you do the Adobe Digital Editions and just nuke the DRM somehow, or do you do something else?

Thanks!

Jay
that, and also I buy from amazon into K for PC , ( better choice & prices usually) "alf" & convert. As I have amazon prime , for now, I also grab the "kindle first" monthly offers, though I've been disappointed with quality, and sometimes some of the £zero priced kindle books if reviews tempt me to try someone new.

tips:keep tools up to date, only process one book at a time, report issues on his site if ever you have any , keep backups of everything you buy! ( that last one is in case a store ever decides hey no longer want you as a customer, or you lose your credentials, or store goes lout of business like Sony did, & so you cannot re-download )

I remain hopeful that digital book selling will evolve to DRM free, like digital music mostly has. it used to be impossible to legally buy unprotected MP3, & we were told that anyone selling such would go out of business due to piracy.

Yet here we are, everyone except maybe itunes now sell drm free music mp3. WMA is pretty much dead, apart from some library audiobooks. There are some ID marks in mp3 tags in some cases but there's no issue of your music refusing to play on your new hardware.
and digital music sales are still on a strong uptrend, I believe.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:03 AM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I believe iTunes also sells DRM-free music...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 03:07 AM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Yes...
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 03:29 AM   #15
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
i think they offer both, unlocked MP3, and also "locked to device" AAC ? . Presumably folks buy the latter 'cos they're are dumb or 'cos quality is a tad better , or i'ts still the default format option. All somewhat off topic though. my point was that hopefully the confusing proliferation of epub DRM schemes will die out naturally.

Personally I'd be glad to see Adobe bite the dust, if only for flash's contribution to PC malware scams, & bad websire design and for its obnoxious bundling of unwanted junkware with every update