Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-12-2009, 08:40 PM   #16
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
The Perfect Host - Theodore Sturgeon and
Vic and Blood - Harlan Ellison
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 08:56 PM   #17
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I just bought Blood Bound by Patricia Briggs and Small Favor by Jim Butcher.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2009, 04:03 AM   #18
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I caved...

Bought Star Trek: The Original Series: Star Trek Movie Tie-In by Alan Dean Foster and Other Earths by Nick Gevers
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:01 AM   #19
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I caved...

Bought Star Trek: The Original Series: Star Trek Movie Tie-In by Alan Dean Foster
I bought it last week but got it yesterday when it got released
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:07 PM   #20
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
The Glister: A Novel
by John Burnside

The Little Stranger
by Sarah Waters

Man Walks Into a Room
by Nicole Krauss

The Magic Nation Thing
by Zilpha Keatley Snyder

Still Alice
by Lisa Genova

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie
by Alan Bradley

The Unseen
by Zilpha Keatley Snyder

Those took advantage of the 20% off sale, but everything came out of previous rebate credit. Of those, I've read The Glister and The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie. The Glister is atmospherically fantastic, it's sort of a 'literary horror' story, very subtle and sinister. The resolution didn't work for me, though, although I think it's the sort of book that I'll think about on and off for a long time. The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie is just kind of adorable - it's a mystery with a 11 year old terror of a protagonist, but it's not a children's novel.

I also have about five books waiting in my fictionwise cart that I am debating for the 50% rebate, if I can decide it fits into budget. I will probably decide that yes, it does
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2009, 05:01 PM   #21
bertold
Connoisseur
bertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it isbertold knows what time it is

Device: iRex iLiad v2, Onyx Boox Note 3
I've finished reading "The Lies of Locke Lamora", which was fantastic, and I've purchased the sequel, as well as China Mieville's "Perdido Street Station", which I am reading now.
bertold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:03 AM   #22
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
Dead and Gone;
The Idiot Girls Action Adventure Club; and
The Fortune Cookie Chronicles: Adventures in the world of Chinese food.

Darn you fictionwise rebate sale!!!!

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:23 AM   #23
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo H2O
Wow. I am still working through the last fictionwise sale fallout. So this week I've bought more download from our ISP (coz Australia doesn't have "unlimited" broadband plans) because someone has been downloading waaay too much TV this month. Share housing can be a real btch sometimes.
moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:52 AM   #24
garygibsonsf
Addict
garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.garygibsonsf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
I'd recommend recent purchase 'Sway' by Zachary Lazar. A fictional retelling of real events through the eyes of real characters, the viewpoint switches between the members of the Rolling Stones, Kenneth Anger, an experimental film director known for his interest in the occult, and Bobby Beausoleil, who ended up serving life for his part in the Sharon Tate murders.

Apart from that, I'm really struggling these days to find anything that's available in an electronic format I either want to read or that's even vaguely affordable on Fictionwise or anywhere else. I must have fifty books in my wishlist, of which a significant number are pricey even after the discounts. But I have considerably more wishlisted on Amazon that I really want to read and aren't available in any kind of electronic format. A situation that is, to say the least, somewhat irritating.

Last edited by garygibsonsf; 05-14-2009 at 10:29 AM.
garygibsonsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:30 PM   #25
All4Fun
Zealot
All4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, Blackberry Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I caved...

Bought Star Trek: The Original Series: Star Trek Movie Tie-In by Alan Dean Foster and Other Earths by Nick Gevers
I also bought Star Trek: The Original Series: Star Trek Movie Tie-In by Alan Dean Foster. I'm hoping that I can finish reading the book before I go see the movie this coming weekend.
All4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:34 PM   #26
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
This week I purchased three Dyson DC17 (Animal) Vacuums, also 1,944 cans of Fancy Feast cat food, 200 pounds of kitty litter, and 100 pounds of dry cat food. Also, some shorts to wear this summer. Oh, you meant books, didn't you?? I bought a few books as well.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:51 PM   #27
radamo
Addict
radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Oasis 9th Gen
29 Leadership Secrects from Jack Welch
Bad Luck and Trouble, Lee Child
Stone Cold, David Baldacci

Big week...
RA
radamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:49 PM   #28
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
This week I purchased three Dyson DC17 (Animal) Vacuums, also 1,944 cans of Fancy Feast cat food, 200 pounds of kitty litter, and 100 pounds of dry cat food. Also, some shorts to wear this summer. Oh, you meant books, didn't you?? I bought a few books as well.
Nice on the Dysons! Those things are flippin fantastic.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:26 AM   #29
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Let's get back on topic, please.

(I think we all realize we're talking about ebooks here, but for clarification purposes, I'll change the title thread so there will be no misunderstanding in the future and this thread can remain on topic.)

Thank you for your understanding.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:28 AM   #30
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Let's get back on topic, please.

(I think we all realize we're talking about ebooks here, but for clarification purposes, I'll change the title thread so there will be no misunderstanding in the future and this thread can remain on topic.)

Thank you for your understanding.

Don
Sorry, I hear Dysons and I can't help myself.

I think tonight I'm going to buy "Strapped," which is a book about the horrible financial situation people in their 20s and 30s are in. I saw it on the Colbert Report and it sounded interesting.