Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-18-2018, 05:17 PM   #16
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JawadLeLogeur View Post
Wait a minute... Did you guys manage to get the device before its official release?
Canada Post is threatening a strike on Monday so I suspect they decided to release them early to get ahead of it. Just a guess.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:10 PM   #17
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Unfortunately its in her hands now so I can't check. As soon as I can pry it away from her I'll get some answers.
We won't hold our breath for that to happen. Though, if she is like my wife, when she does let you touch it, it will be bad news - something will be wrong.
Quote:
One neat thing is that they include the same type of USB cable that Tolimo use; it will fit either way into the device.
That's good. I love the tolino cable. But, my Glo HD doesn't. All the other ereaders are fine with it, but the Glo HD can disconnect using this cable.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2018, 02:49 AM   #18
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Man, this thread really makes waiting that much harder. I'll be receiving mine probably a month from now. At least all the impressions so far are favorable.
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 12:40 PM   #19
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
Mine arrived about 45 minutes ago. So far I like it, nice even lighting for both the white light as well as the natural light. Also no light bleeding. It is so light for such a large screen, I think this will be replacing my KA1 as my primary ereader.

One thing I do find a bit odd is that it is running FW 4.9.11674 and doesn't find any updates when I sync. I guess they won't release the update for it until after the official release date of the 23rd.
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 01:41 PM   #20
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminrussell View Post
Mine arrived about 45 minutes ago.
Congrats. Do you mind reporting on how low the backlight is at 1% compared to other Kobos?
Advert
Old 10-19-2018, 02:10 PM   #21
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickyaxe View Post
Congrats. Do you mind reporting on how low the backlight is at 1% compared to other Kobos?
1% on the frontlight of the Forma is much darker than it is on my KA1. 3-4% on the Forma is about the same as 1% on the KA1. I usually read in the dark at about 4-5% on my KA1 and will definitely need to to be higher on the Forma, guessing around 9-10%, though won't be sure until I use it tonight.
I am sure there is some variation in the brightness from device to device so unless others are seeing the same darker lighting I don't think you should read to much in to a sample of one.
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 04:37 PM   #22
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
With the light set to full daytime mode (blue light) I had to set my Forma to 3% to match the Aura One at 1%. At full night mode (yellow) I really couldn't compare. At first I thought the Forma was much brighter but it's not casting as much light. The Aura One is a dark orange/red at 1%, it appears that the light is higher but is harder to read (if that makes sense).
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 06:00 PM   #23
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
One thing I do find a bit odd is that it is running FW 4.9.11674
Thanks, I've been wondering what the factory firmware version was.
Quote:
and doesn't find any updates when I sync. I guess they won't release the update for it until after the official release date of the 23rd.
That's probably the plan, but, it might be early.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 07:06 PM   #24
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Just checked WalMart.com and found if you buy the Forma and cover together, and have it shipped to store, the total price is $299.76, which is a discount of $30.22

I can't purchase one yet, as I've got some major expenses coming up soon, but will definitely keep this mind when I can purchase one.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 12:20 AM   #25
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & Forma, Kindle Voyage, PW, and Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
Just checked WalMart.com and found if you buy the Forma and cover together, and have it shipped to store, the total price is $299.76, which is a discount of $30.22.
That's better than what I'm seeing. Looks like the best I can get for the Forma and cover with pickup is $329.12.

I see $279.26 for just the Forma with pickup.
I see $49.86 for just the cover with pickup.
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 02:06 AM   #26
Liesse
Zealot
Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma
I'm on holiday at the moment, so have been checking the pre order page for the UK on patchy Turkish hotel WiFi. It's been stubbornly displaying TEMPORARILY OUT OF STOCK for me til this morning. Just pressed GO on a forma and purple cover. Having them delivered to work, where I'm back on Tuesday. A new kobo would do much to ease the back to work blues....

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk
Liesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 02:13 AM   #27
pickyaxe
Addict

Quote:
1% on the frontlight of the Forma is much darker than it is on my KA1. 3-4% on the Forma is about the same as 1% on the KA1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
With the light set to full daytime mode (blue light) I had to set my Forma to 3% to match the Aura One at 1%.
Very nice. My family owns many Kobo models and the Aura One's minimum lighting was significantly brighter than the already slightly too bright lighting of the other Kobos. What's the point of color temperature control when the brightness level is too high?

Still waiting to hear the negative stuff about this device, but so far seems like it's nothing but a winner.

Last edited by pickyaxe; 10-20-2018 at 02:32 AM.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:52 AM   #28
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Supposedly my Forma is on the truck and will be delivered today.

I say supposedly because they are still also giving the estimate that delivery will be on Monday.

So I’ll just have to wait and see.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 01:50 PM   #29
stoney77
Enthusiast
stoney77 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.stoney77 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.stoney77 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.stoney77 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.stoney77 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.stoney77 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.stoney77 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.stoney77 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.stoney77 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.stoney77 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.stoney77 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Elipsa 2e, Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura HD, iPad Pro, Kindle Oasis
Ordering from Walmart

I just placed my order with Walmart for the Forma plus cover for the discount of $319.98. I'm having it shipped to my local store and got an additional discount for that. With state tax, the total is $317.75. It will be delivered to the store by next Thurs. (25th).
stoney77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 04:00 PM   #30
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaskyle View Post
That's better than what I'm seeing. Looks like the best I can get for the Forma and cover with pickup is $329.12.

I see $279.26 for just the Forma with pickup.
I see $49.86 for just the cover with pickup.
Does your price include tax? There's no sales tax where I live, which might be the difference.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote