Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-24-2016, 11:16 AM   #31
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I'd happily buy it. I've bought several dictionaries for my Kindle.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 01:49 PM   #32
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I'd happily buy it. I've bought several dictionaries for my Kindle.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
Same here. The dictionary on the Kobo is definitely lacking compared to kindle.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2018, 03:35 AM   #33
10basetom
10basetom began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Can anyone please check whether the latest built-in dictionary has the definition for "grok"? This is my litmus test to quickly gauge a dictionary's quality, and when I checked many years ago it was not able to define it (one of my reasons for getting the Kindle instead since the Oxford dictionary is very comprehensive).
10basetom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 05:13 AM   #34
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10basetom View Post
Can anyone please check whether the latest built-in dictionary has the definition for "grok"? This is my litmus test to quickly gauge a dictionary's quality, and when I checked many years ago it was not able to define it (one of my reasons for getting the Kindle instead since the Oxford dictionary is very comprehensive).
As much as I like the word, and am always amused when I see it at the top of a dump, I'm not sure if I would choose it as a test word. In any case, my Clara HD tells me it means "to understand profoundly and intuitively".
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 02:15 AM   #35
10basetom
10basetom began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
As much as I like the word, and am always amused when I see it at the top of a dump, I'm not sure if I would choose it as a test word. In any case, my Clara HD tells me it means "to understand profoundly and intuitively".
Thanks a lot for checking this word for me. You confirmed for me that Kobo HAS improved their built-in dictionary because the first generation Kobo reader definitely did not have a definition for this word.
10basetom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2018, 07:10 AM   #36
fendesa
Enthusiast
fendesa began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara
poor dictionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by machoman121 View Post
yes - the mighty Kobo Aura H20 has such a terrible dictionary - was reading a book on Japanese war crimes and i tried to look the word 'atrocious' and it didn't have an entry for it. There were a few other words which failed too - it's a 50/50 chance of failure for the dictionary - when it does work there's also a 50/50 chance of it displaying useless information ie. it didn't help me understand the word.

Am i understanding it correctly that while one can change dictionaries but one cannot change the default english dictionary in the Kobo? I only need english.
you're absolutely right, I come from: kindle keyboard / paperwhite and ikindle voyage and in my case, the dictionary of Italian and English, perfect the best and also translating every single verb. The only real flaw, in my opinion is just the dictionary poor lemmas
fendesa is offline   Reply With Quote