Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-08-2009, 09:52 AM   #31
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
You will see some ebook stores say that one of the formats of their ebooks is "ADE"... that usually means ePub protected by Adobe DRM. As I said, this does confuse people.
This usually indicates an Adobe PDF ebook with DRM (as 13xforever said above). It could sometimes be referring to an Adobe ePub ebook, since both are read by Adobe Digital Editions (Desktop, or the mobile SDK). I agree that it would be better if publishers used Adobe PDF and Adobe ePub, rather than Adobe Digital Editions. I think the reason they don't is that Adobe PDF Reader does not read Adobe PDF ebooks, or at least they are handed off to Adobe Digital Editions.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:13 AM   #32
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Yes, but by using the ™ instead of the ® tells me this hasn't been registered so is still open to review by the trademark board.

BOb
Actually the US uses the ® while most of the rest of the world uses ™ so for international use the ™ is preferable. It does not mean that it is still open to review.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2009, 11:48 AM   #33
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Actually the US uses the ® while most of the rest of the world uses ™ so for international use the ™ is preferable. It does not mean that it is still open to review.

Dale
In the US using ™ means it is not registered:

Quote:
You can use the symbols TM for trademark or SM for service mark to indicate that you claims rights to the marks without having federal registration. However, use of the TM and SM symbols may be governed by different local, state, or foreign laws. The federal registration symbol ® can only be used after the mark is actually registered in the USPTO. Even though an application is pending, the registration symbol ® may not be used before the mark has actually become registered.
BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:10 PM   #34
ginalola
ginalola will become famous soon enoughginalola will become famous soon enoughginalola will become famous soon enoughginalola will become famous soon enoughginalola will become famous soon enoughginalola will become famous soon enoughginalola will become famous soon enough

Device: sony prs-505,600 and 700
Forgive me if I post this in the wrong thread, but can anyone tell me why Sony is not allowing the choice of the old format and the new. Fictionwise and many other ebookstores offer various formats. I am one of the folks that likes the books formatted without full justification. I would love the choice of the format we have now.
ginalola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:31 PM   #35
pedgarcia
Connoisseur
pedgarcia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pedgarcia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pedgarcia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
My guess is because the proprietary format is marked to die, and it is cheaper upgrade all 500s firmwares for free than keeping two different formats.
pedgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2009, 01:33 PM   #36
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginalola View Post
Forgive me if I post this in the wrong thread, but can anyone tell me why Sony is not allowing the choice of the old format and the new. Fictionwise and many other ebookstores offer various formats. I am one of the folks that likes the books formatted without full justification. I would love the choice of the format we have now.
Probably just to simplify. Much easier to just maintain one format.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:15 PM   #37
kfarmer
Gizzzzmo Nerd
kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
In the US using ™ means it is not registered:
Not to pick nits, but the text you quoted says only one thing:
*IF* you use (R), *THEN* your mark must be registered.
It does *not* say:
*IF* you use (TM), *THEN* your mark must *NOT* be registered.

nor does it say:

*IF* you register your mark, *THEN* you must only use (R).
According to the text you present, there are no restrictions (at the federal level) for using (TM) -- only for (R).

My apologies -- I've been up to my ears in writing an inference engine lately.
kfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:49 PM   #38
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfarmer View Post
Not to pick nits, but the text you quoted says only one thing:
*IF* you use (R), *THEN* your mark must be registered.
It does *not* say:
*IF* you use (TM), *THEN* your mark must *NOT* be registered.

No you are of course correct. But, to pick another nit, why would they use ™ if they could properly use ® ? I very much doubt this is a registered trademark in the US or they would use ®.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:54 PM   #39
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_th..._in_the_circle
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:00 PM   #40
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
[/INDENT]No you are of course correct. But, to pick another nit, why would they use ™ if they could properly use ® ? I very much doubt this is a registered trademark in the US or they would use ®.

BOb
As I already told you the reason. Most other countries don't know about ® which is not used in their countries. A company I worked for in the past always used ™ for that reason. Today international is the wave.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:05 PM   #41
hmgreen
Enthusiast
hmgreen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -600, -900, Kindle 2, Touch, PW1 (all gone), PW2, Voyage
Worried about the software

I have the Sony Reader 600 (upgraded from a PRS-505). When I got it and downloaded the latest software for the Sony Library on my Vista Based PC it NEVER worked. It would spontaneously freeze or shut down and I couldn't download books. After MANY calls to Sony Tech Support and more uninstall/reinstall/reboot cycles than I care to even count they and I gave up. I am now using very successfully the 2.5 version of the software and all is stable.

Now we have the 3.1 version coming out to support the Daily Edition and Win 7 (neither of which I plan to acquire).

So.... will I need to install this update to use my Reader, current books,and download future books or can I stay with "Old Faithful" vers. 2.5? Will this create a problem with ePUB? I assume that the only users needing a firmware update are those 505 owners who never did it (I did on that one) and I assume the 600 is already ePub compatible.

Any insight anyone can provide will allow me to sleep at night! Thanks!
hmgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:14 PM   #42
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag View Post
Well, I hope their commitment to offering great prices doesn't stay the same - it needs to change for the better.
It does seem that the Sony/Borders bookstore is consistently higher than others.

I wonder if that's a Borders issue? So you suppose that Borders sees the bookstore as cannibalizing its bricks & mortar sales?
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:16 PM   #43
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
I am of two minds on this: I applaud Sony's adoption of the open, albeit DRMd, ePub format, but I hope they will get fixed the "full justification" issue. It is only a slight annoyance, but an annoyance none the less.

- oh, and the page number in the right margin issue.

Make that of three minds...
What is the "full justification" issue?

Edit: Oh, I see. My own two cents is that it usually doesn't bother me, but if given a choice, I do not want full justification. It leads to stretched out words, or big spaces between them.

I have a book called "While You're Reading" by Gerald Unger, which is about typography & design. There's only one occurance of the word "justification" in the whole book, in the context of a discussion about the space surrounding individual letters in words. The text in this book is justified left.

It appears to me that anything appearing in columns needs full justification to help the reader keep focus on the right column. The justification seems to set up a visual frame for the column. I suspect that it is the lack of framing that bothers some people when the text is justified left. I wonder if it correlates with how fast one can read. I can imagine that "framed" text is easier to read fast.

It also occurs to me that one place where one does NOT want full justification is in poetry, and another might be in librettos or scripts.

With this in mind, it seems to me that if the choice is to have only one, left justification is the way to go on an ereader. So full justification should be optional.

Last edited by Harmon; 12-08-2009 at 03:45 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:38 PM   #44
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
What is the "full justification" issue?
Basically, epub on Sonys won't display as fully justified.

i.e. paragraphs will look like:

aaa aaa aaa aaa
aaaa aaa aa
aaaaaa aaa aa
aaaa aaa

Instead of:

aaa aaa aaa aaa
aaa aaa aaa aaa
aaa aaa aaa aaa

Full justification aligns both the right and left edges of the text.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:48 PM   #45
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Basically, epub on Sonys won't display as fully justified.

i.e. paragraphs will look like:

Full justification aligns both the right and left edges of the text.
My question was not about the meaning, but rather, why is there an issue? See my edit to the post you responded to for my take on it.