Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-21-2010, 04:16 PM   #46
CrisNW
CrisNW began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I got the hack to work on my Kindle 2 v. 2.5.2! Thanks for the updated hack!
CrisNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:38 AM   #47
test011
Connoisseur
test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: K2i, K3(B006), KT(WiFi)
Does anybody have kindle 2.5 original font?
I would like to use it to create a local unicode font set.
test011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2010, 08:19 AM   #48
test011
Connoisseur
test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.test011 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: K2i, K3(B006), KT(WiFi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
We got a working font substitution fix, which doesn't have to be fully uninstalled (just disabled) for OS upgrades. There is an uninstall package with this hack, of course (to fully deinstall it).

Google Translate may help with the instructions a little bit.

To disable the font substitution hack, the AUTO file in linkfonts folder needs to be renamed into something else, and the Kindle needs to be rebooted (restarted). Then the fonts in linkfonts directory may be replaced with some other custom fonts, the firmware can be upgraded, etc. To re-enable the font substitution, the AUTO needs to be renamed back to AUTO, and the Kindle needs to be restarted. That's pretty much the long and the short of it.
Thanks porkupan!
I'd finally tried your font hack, everything is so good.
And peple in my local forum are rushing to use it.

I’ve noticed some incidents involving misspelling of font filenames and, from my local forum, deletion of several font files. I saw one on your site's reply section so it happens globally. We all know things happen, because they can happen.

May I suggest that you could modify the hack's init script to check the files in the 'fonts' directory for their existence first and if something is missing then abort whole thing, just like when 'AUTO' file isn't there or use default one for the missing one.

It would be only about 15 extra lines, but it will sure give some peace of mind to those who use it.

Last edited by test011; 06-22-2010 at 08:32 AM.
test011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:59 PM   #49
756win
756win began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarknova View Post
Yes, you just uninstall any hacks (besides the jailbreak) and install the update from amazon. I will add the jailbreak uninstaller (that simply deletes the new key) later today because so many people have been worried about it possibly preventing amazon official updates (though they really shouldn't).

I don't have 2.5.3, but others have reported successfully installing it on 2.5.3.
Thanks very much for the hack clarknova. If you could make the jailbreak uninstaller? because I want to have the original system before I apply any other hack or update from amazon, to eliminate any possibility bricking the kindle.
756win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:33 AM   #50
max666
max666 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Thank you ClarkNova and all the other mighty Hackers out there!
It works all so beautiful.
max666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2010, 01:14 AM   #51
RPcnuwm
RPcnuwm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 International
Help

Hello. I was hoping to get a bit of assistance in getting my custom screensavers on my kindle. I am a new Kindle 2 Int. owner as of a few weeks ago. My Kindle is at V2.5.3. I have installed the jailbreak (and got the failure, which I know is no problem). I also installed the screensaver hack for my version which installed without issue.

Now I do not know what to do. After installing the hack and plugging the Kindle into my PC I do not have a "System" or "Screensavers" folder to drop my pictures into. I do note that at the bottom right of my Kindle I see that I am at Version 2.5.3 (490488060) + SS 0.4. I assume the SS 0.4 relates to the screensavers ("SS"), plus I have tried the uninstaller file and the SS 0.4 disappears on my kindle.

Bottom line is I do not know how to add the photos to the Kindle after installing the jailbreak and the screensaver hack. I would appreciate any guidance. If this is a simple oversight on my part I apologize, as I said I am pretty new to the Kindle.
RPcnuwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:32 PM   #52
lovesangelrn
lovesangelrn began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPcnuwm View Post
Hello. I was hoping to get a bit of assistance in getting my custom screensavers on my kindle. I am a new Kindle 2 Int. owner as of a few weeks ago. My Kindle is at V2.5.3. I have installed the jailbreak (and got the failure, which I know is no problem). I also installed the screensaver hack for my version which installed without issue.

Now I do not know what to do. After installing the hack and plugging the Kindle into my PC I do not have a "System" or "Screensavers" folder to drop my pictures into. I do note that at the bottom right of my Kindle I see that I am at Version 2.5.3 (490488060) + SS 0.4. I assume the SS 0.4 relates to the screensavers ("SS"), plus I have tried the uninstaller file and the SS 0.4 disappears on my kindle.

Bottom line is I do not know how to add the photos to the Kindle after installing the jailbreak and the screensaver hack. I would appreciate any guidance. If this is a simple oversight on my part I apologize, as I said I am pretty new to the Kindle.
I'm pretty sure you didn't enable yourself to see "hidden" folders (I'm guessing you are using a windows computer). Follow the instuctions here so you can see the system folder.
lovesangelrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:48 PM   #53
RPcnuwm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesangelrn View Post
I'm pretty sure you didn't enable yourself to see "hidden" folders (I'm guessing you are using a windows computer). Follow the instuctions here so you can see the system folder.
Thank you for the response. I am indeed using a Windows computer and I ensured that I have "View Hidden Files and Folders" selected. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the screensaver hack file multiple times. It does seem to uninstall and reinstall fine, but I still do not see any "System" or "Screensaver" folders in my Kindle drive.

All I see are the following folders:
.active-content-data
audible
documents
music

I just checked the back of my Kindle again and the serial number begins with B003 (indicating it is an international Kindle I believe, per the following amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...24680&#version ) so I am sure I am using the right hack file [update_screen_saver_hack_2.5_k2i.bin].

Just to confirm, I have the following version of the Kindle software: 2.5.3.

Anyone else have any ideas?
Old 07-15-2010, 01:24 AM   #54
rollercoaster
Zealot
rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.rollercoaster once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

great! screensaver hack worked for me. K2I v2.5.3

Can we put images in subdirectories or all have to be in the root screensaver directory?

Please point me to some collections for scrensavers. there are so many out there that it is hard to look at each one and choose. Any please to download in zipped files or something?

Someone should start a collection with rating/download count so we can be lazy and just get the top ones :P
rollercoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:44 AM   #55
citron2k1
citron2k1 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPcnuwm View Post
Thank you for the response. I am indeed using a Windows computer and I ensured that I have "View Hidden Files and Folders" selected. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the screensaver hack file multiple times. It does seem to uninstall and reinstall fine, but I still do not see any "System" or "Screensaver" folders in my Kindle drive.

All I see are the following folders:
.active-content-data
audible
documents
music

I just checked the back of my Kindle again and the serial number begins with B003 (indicating it is an international Kindle I believe, per the following amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...24680&#version ) so I am sure I am using the right hack file [update_screen_saver_hack_2.5_k2i.bin].

Just to confirm, I have the following version of the Kindle software: 2.5.3.

Anyone else have any ideas?
I had the same problem on my K2US ver. 2.5.2, but what I did was I typed in "j:\\system" manually and it showed up (j:\\ being my drive letter of kindle). It worked for me. Hope it helps you.
citron2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:58 PM   #56
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollercoaster View Post

Someone should start a collection with rating/download count so we can be lazy and just get the top ones :P
They already have :
There are 33 pages of them here:
http://www.kindleboards.com/index.php/topic,5659.0.html

8 pages here:
http://www.kindleboards.com/index.php/topic,1418.0.html

and some zipped ones here:
http://www.kindleboards.com/index.php/topic,956.0.html

There are some brilliant photos in here, and also a link in the first reference that creates your own grey scale ones online.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:48 AM   #57
RPcnuwm

Quote:
Originally Posted by citron2k1 View Post
I had the same problem on my K2US ver. 2.5.2, but what I did was I typed in "j:\\system" manually and it showed up (j:\\ being my drive letter of kindle). It worked for me. Hope it helps you.
Interestingly this did work for me, thank you. I found another board with another hack that ended up working for me before I found your post however. Now I'm all paranoid that I have 1 or 2 hacks installed on my Kindle that I wont be able to remove if the time comes.

Ah well, I guess I'll live and learn. At least now I know a way to get to my Kindle's system folder. Very sharp method by the way!
Old 07-18-2010, 10:26 PM   #58
eReaderWarrior
eReaderWarrior began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
screensaver sleep hack

Can anyone on here adapt the Screensaver Sleep Hack to work for Kindle software update 2.5?? I hate it when the screensaver comes on after 10 minutes. I'd love to be able to turn it off permanently, but the hack I installed on my 2.3 software was able to make it wait for 1 hour before coming on. Of course now with 2.5 update, that hack stopped working.

Help!
eReaderWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:22 PM   #59
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Here goes. Completely untested, but last I checked, the variable was still there, in the same place, at least on my K2i, so that should work.

Credits to ebs for hack, I just repackaged it. (So it's *not* update safe, you'll have to properly uninstall it to be able to install official updates, check the readme) (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=100).

Check the readme for more info, especially if you have a DX/DXi/DXg, since apparently the default timeout value was changed in fw v2.3...

Also, please note that playing with this may mess up your battery life. The default values are set this way for a reason .

EDIT: File moved the Fonts/SS Hacks thread.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-14-2010 at 07:59 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 04:49 PM   #60
Pierson
Pierson began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
PLEASE HELP!

Ok ok...so I am proving to myself how illiterate I really am with this kindle! Could someone PLEASE show me step-by-step instructions on how to do this? cause every time I do it, my "UPDATE KINDLE" button is greyed out!
PLEASE HELP! I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!
Pierson is offline   Reply With Quote