Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-20-2010, 08:01 PM   #1
Themus
Zealot
Themus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook
Calibre > ePUB Output > View Same on Nook

I am getting ready to make the big decision. Kindle or Nook. I have a book I've formatted in Word and output as Webpage. In Calibre, I imported that file and outputed that file as an ePub. It looks great in the View mode of Calibre.

However, the Calibre ePub format crashes in Barnes and Noble's eReader. It will not open it to read.

So my question. Is the Calibre viewer an accurate reflection of what the text will show up on the Nook, or will it crash on the Nook as it does on the Barnes and Noble eReader.

What application, Calibre or B&N eReader best represents what I can expect to see on the Nook device?

Thank you!!
Themus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:10 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themus View Post
So my question. Is the Calibre viewer an accurate reflection of what the text will show up on the Nook, or will it crash on the Nook as it does on the Barnes and Noble eReader.

What application, Calibre or B&N eReader best represents what I can expect to see on the Nook device?
Probably neither represent exactly the same software that is within the Nook. It all depends on the implementation of the epub rendering software within the Nook. If their eReader software and the Nook use the exact same epub rendering software then this one book will crash on the Nook.

It seems as if every eReader has some limits on the epub rendering within it. There are some items that will cause the Sony devices to crash if they are included in a book.

I attempted to create an epub of the documentation of Beautiful Soup to read on my Sony 505. It crashed my device but looked fine in Calibre's reader. I didn't investigate what html code crashed my reader. This epub might have worked on the Nook or any other of the various ereaders out there.

The bottom line is Calibre tries to be as faithful to the source document as possible when converting the document to epub. If the source has code that will crash the Nook, Sony, jetBook etc... then that code will be in the epub too. The fact that it runs in Calibre's reader does not guarantee it will run in any reader. If it does does run on your reader the basic look and feel of the doc will be the same as represented by Calibre's reading software.

Good Luck!
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert