Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-06-2009, 05:50 PM   #1
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
B&N ebooks store

After pre-ordering the Nook, I decided to buy an ebook from the B&N store to check out the epub feature. Alas, the book was in pdb format, so I sent an email to B&N customer service to see what the deal was. After a two day wait, I got a response saying that they needed my order number and some other information before they could respond. I replied with the requested info. Two days later I got a response saying what formats the nook supported. Great info, but not what I asked, so I replied asking why the ebook I bought wasn't in epub format. I got a response back (at least it wasn't two days later) saying that the store sold pdb ebooks and they do not have an offical date when epub books will be available.

Two disappointments here. First, I think that B&N needs to ramp up their customer service department if they want to establish a positive impression when the nook arrives and people have questions. Four days to get an answer to a simple question is way too long. Second, it's disappointing that B&N doesn't have a date when they will start saleing the epub format. I want to buy from B&N when I'm browsing in the brink and mortar store, but I'm not going to be buying from them if it's in a proprietary format that I can't format shift.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:20 PM   #2
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I want to buy from B&N when I'm browsing in the brink and mortar store, but I'm not going to be buying from them if it's in a proprietary format that I can't format shift.
You can format shift EReader format books. The DRM has been cracked and the python script html that can easily be shifted to whatever format you desire. ADOBE ADEPT encrypted EPUB is just as proprietary as EReader and is more egregious as a form of DRM because it requires you to register your computer and devices on their server and then download the books using their software. EReader only requires you to enter the password the first time you open the book and allows you to download the books using any web browser. The main limitation on the format that concerns me is the limit on the size of graphics (the format was originally intended for PDA's with small screens and limited storage).
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert