Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-13-2011, 08:46 PM   #1
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Stuck In Notes & Marks

My 5 month old, heavily used, replacement, refurbished Kindle tends to get stuck while in "Notes and Marks".

I habitually bookmark every time I get to a new chapter, just in case it becomes a stopping point. I will usually erase the old bookmark when I set the new one, but there are times when I wait through a few chapters before I erase the old book marks. Every so often, my Kindle will get stuck for about 5 minutes or more, and there are times when I even have to do a hard reset to get it back.

Thoughts & Suggestions appreciated.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:39 PM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
My 5 month old, heavily used, replacement, refurbished Kindle tends to get stuck while in "Notes and Marks".

I habitually bookmark every time I get to a new chapter, just in case it becomes a stopping point. I will usually erase the old bookmark when I set the new one, but there are times when I wait through a few chapters before I erase the old book marks. Every so often, my Kindle will get stuck for about 5 minutes or more, and there are times when I even have to do a hard reset to get it back.

Thoughts & Suggestions appreciated.
I read on a thread here that this due to the clippings file being too large or corrupted. I would download that file to your PC as it can be read in any text editor then delete the one on the Kindle. It should recreate a new one next time and stop the freezing problem.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2011, 09:52 PM   #3
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I read on a thread here that this due to the clippings file being too large or corrupted. I would download that file to your PC as it can be read in any text editor then delete the one on the Kindle. It should recreate a new one next time and stop the freezing problem.
Ok. I'll give that a try. I don't have to worry about keeping the file. I only book mark, I don't really highlight or take notes.

Thank you.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:56 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ok. I'll give that a try. I don't have to worry about keeping the file. I only book mark, I don't really highlight or take notes.

Thank you.
I hope it works if not the one other thing I can think of is a bad MBP file on the book you are in.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:58 PM   #5
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
I hope it works if not the one other thing I can think of is a bad MBP file on the book you are in.
What is a MBP file?
Advert
Old 11-13-2011, 11:06 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
What is a MBP file?
From Wiki:

Quote:
MBP

This is the extension used on a side file (auxiliary) for MOBI formatted eBooks. It is used to store metadata used by the library software and also to store user entered data like bookmarks, annotations, last read position. This file is created automatically by the reader program when the eBook is first opened and has a .mbp extension. The Library management software in MobiPocket uses this file to get information displayed in the library window such as title, author, and description so that it won't have to open the larger eBook file.
On the Kindle it creates one the first time you open the book.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:09 PM   #7
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
From Wiki:

On the Kindle it creates one the first time you open the book.
Ahhh. Okay. So I would basically have to track it down in the Kindle folder and delete it so that it could recreate itself the next time I open the book.

Okay. Thank you, again! Much karma to you.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:13 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Ahhh. Okay. So I would basically have to track it down in the Kindle folder and delete it so that it could recreate itself the next time I open the book.

Okay. Thank you, again! Much karma to you.
Yes that is the gist of it. Make sure you know what location you are on the book before you do it. It will start at page one again.

I go through and delete alot of these because I have a habit of opening a book before it's time to read it. I like to keep my Kindle documents folder tidy.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:22 PM   #9
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Yes that is the gist of it. Make sure you know what location you are on the book before you do it. It will start at page one again.

I go through and delete alot of these because I have a habit of opening a book before it's time to read it. I like to keep my Kindle documents folder tidy.
I don't blame you. Now that I know it can be done I will probably do the same. I was going back and forth trough a few of the books the other day, comparing Kindle page numbers to the ones generated by the page count plugin. I'm happy to know I can go through and "close" those books again just by deleting that file.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:29 AM   #10
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:

Interesting. I'll delete all of these except the one for the book I'm currently reading next time I connect to PC and see if it changes anything. Thanks.
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:00 PM   #11
Nyssa
Series Addict

I have not cleaned out the Kindle folder as yet, but deleting the Clippings file has helped.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:53 PM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
I have not cleaned out the Kindle folder as yet, but deleting the Clippings file has helped.
Happy to hear it helped out!
Old 11-15-2011, 01:56 PM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricorn View Post
Interesting. I'll delete all of these except the one for the book I'm currently reading next time I connect to PC and see if it changes anything. Thanks.
You will loose anything connected to that book like bookmarks, notes...etc If you delete the mbp file to it. It basically resets the book to unopen status.