Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-28-2011, 07:57 PM   #16
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Guess they've guaranteed the total number of Random House books downloaded for free in March will increase.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:04 PM   #17
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
you are all a far too spoiled bunch :P
in Germany the price-lock is applied to all books in general
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2011, 08:30 PM   #18
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
This is probably a reaction to the iPhone app thing. They probably feel since they might be losing all other stores except iBooks, they need to get on it...
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:34 PM   #19
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
And mandated by law no less. We Spaniards have the same lovelies on top
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:42 PM   #20
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
between this news and HarperCollins' library book restrictions, it has been a very depressing week in the ebook world!

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2011, 08:52 PM   #21
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post

I'm about as frustrated as I can possibly get with these companies.

You seem like a nice person so I won't play Shoot the Messenger today.
oh, just DO IT...it's Fbone after all...go ahead and just F'bone Fbone...
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:53 PM   #22
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
"We are looking forward to continuing to work with all our retail partners..."

That's easy to translate: "Customers: turn around, bend over, and think of England."
don't forget to grab your ankles and push out not clench up.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:02 PM   #23
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
The more I think about it, the more depressing this news is. Are ALL of the major publishers on the agency model now? Then I think ebook prices will go up across the board. Did $12.99 look expensive for an ebook? How about $26.00? I think it could happen.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:23 PM   #24
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
It's lovely to see conventional wisdom turned on it's head.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:26 PM   #25
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
The more I think about it, the more depressing this news is. Are ALL of the major publishers on the agency model now? Then I think ebook prices will go up across the board. Did $12.99 look expensive for an ebook? How about $26.00? I think it could happen.

eP
They're making the same mistakes that the music companies made. It'll go the same way as music did for years, but even worse, considering how small e-books are.

I don't buy DRM'd ebooks unless I absolutely must have something in a rush (for class) or they are dirt, dirt cheap (like $.99). DRM destroys the value of anything for me. Even though it's not that hard for me to remove, being a techie of sorts, I'm not willing to support companies that engage in it. This agency price fixing is awful, too.

Vote with your dollars and give them to publishers and storefronts that deserve it.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 02-28-2011 at 09:29 PM.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:27 PM   #26
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Maybe they think there's so much momentum behind ebook adoption that they can't hurt themselves by taking control of pricing and undercutting discounters like Amazon and Kobo. That price control is more important than short term profits (at Amazon's expense, when they subsidize $9.99 pricing). They could be right.

I will not argue that US laws are better or worse than Germany's or Spain's, but we in the US quite expect to shop around for the best price, it forms the basis of our mad consumerism, and so this looks like price-fixing to us (particularly when unlike physical goods, there is no resale market). I guess we'll see if someone will challenge this in the courts here.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:37 PM   #27
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Well, think of all the money we will save. I haven't purchased hardly any ebooks since the publishers started price fixing and Random House was one of the few exceptions.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:42 PM   #28
snipenekkid
Banned

note to self -- STOP READING MR because the news completely sucks!!
Old 02-28-2011, 10:15 PM   #29
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
Honestly, I wouldn't mind the Agency price fixing as much if it was across the boards for all books. Not to say I wouldn't have grumbled a bit, knowing I'd be paying a couple bucks more for books than I did before.

But it's the unfairness of applying this to only ebooks that really ticks me off.

Last edited by FizzyWater; 03-01-2011 at 10:15 PM. Reason: changed "would mind" to "wouldn't mind"...I don't know why I so often leave off those contractions!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:19 PM   #30
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Well one more nail in the coffin of the publishing industry. At the moment the physical books are still a big part a book sales in 2-3 years they will be such a small percent of sales that major authors would be willing to sell their ebooks directly and cut out the middle man the publisher.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote