Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-31-2010, 07:28 PM   #1
razmichael
razmichael doesn't litterrazmichael doesn't litter

Device: Kobo WiFi
New Kobo- No Free Books in Database

I bought my wife a Kobo a month or so ago and remember having some initial issue with the free books not being shown until I did a reset. Besides this initial issue, we have been very happy with it although there is no doubt that the software has a number of bugs that will hopefully be slowly fixed (nothing that has proven to be a show stopper). Given that the whole family kept trying to use the single reader, I just purchased a second one for myself. I immediately had the same issue with none of the free books (or even the manual) being shown. Checking the device more closely, it was clear that the Database did not contain the free books but they are stored on the device. I tried a number of resets, deleting the SQLite file etc with no luck. Everything else works fine - I can update the library from Kobo or side load from Calibre. I then tried copying over the database from the older Kobo and this then showed (and allowed me to read) the free books, although it caused other issues with bought and borrowed books (not a surprise).

I'm not overly worried about the free books as there are only a few I would like to read and I can get these, however I would still like to solve the issue if anyone has any ideas. I'm getting a bit tired of resetting the date/time and adding a long wireless password into the device. I would be much more frustrated with this if I did not have a basic knowledge of the inner workings and bought the Kobo to just read - I would hope it works right out of the box!

Thanks for anyone who may have an idea.
razmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:13 AM   #2
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I
p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Acer 200, Asus FHD, Kobo Touch
If you are running a wireless Kobo a factory reset should restore all your books.

If you have a Kobo that is not wireless see what version of the firmware you are running and check out the sticky
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94789
p_a_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2011, 09:06 AM   #3
razmichael

It is wireless. I have tried four or five resets with the same result. The database is small and does not contain the contents for the free books (nor the default user for the books). I had assumed that I at least had it working fine without the free books but I realized that sideloaded books where not saving the page. This morning I tried another reset 9no luck) and then did another partial copy of contents from my wife's Kobo. I re-synced with my account and changed the default user entry in the database __deviceID to match my Kobo. Now I can see the free books but cannot open them (not authorized). However, the side loaded books work. At this point I will either take it back to Chapters or just delete the free books and go from there. Not sure which yet.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:24 AM   #4
razmichael

Fixed. I had changed the default user (used for the free books) deviceID in the db to match my kobo (it is the mac address) after the copy from my wife's kobo. I changed this back to the value used on my wife's and now the free books are working. I realized that this value was not tied to the device directly as my user entry was not the MAC address.

I really have no idea why the problems I have had showed up right out of the box. Many new customers would have been forced to deal with support or return the Kobo - it would not provide a very pleasant first experience.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:26 AM   #5
KrowNB
Enthusiast
KrowNB began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Sony PRS-650
Did you try...

Menu Button: Change from "I'm Reading" to "Books"

If the default free library is not showing, while still in "Books" press Menu again.

Your menu list will include a selection for "Display", select that option.

You will be given the choice at the bottom of the list to display All Books, My Books, or Pre-Loaded Books. The top one displays all, the next the middle one displays only your purchased/loaded books and the bottom one will display only the included library. Is the check mark on the "My Books" selection?

I have a new Wi-Fi Kobo but think I read somewhere that this option has not always been available.

HTH

Keith
KrowNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2011, 09:28 AM   #6
KrowNB
Enthusiast
KrowNB began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Sony PRS-650
Sorry... looks like I was typing my reply when you posted your solution. Well, maybe it might help somebody else...
KrowNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:46 AM   #7
razmichael

Thanks anyway KrowNB - it is a good pointer. i would be kicking myself if that was my issue but I had checked the DB and the default user installed for the free books was not showing (even after resets) so I think my problem was more serious. As you said, still a good bit of advice for others. Happy new year.