Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-27-2009, 07:18 AM   #1
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
My Sony took a bath...

... and loved every minute of it! Minute? Nah... almost an hour in the tub, steaming hot water loosening up the old joints as I sat there reading a good book. And the Sony was kept high and dry in this;
http://www.aquapac.net/usstore/image...otated/664.jpg
I had it in with my other camera gear, and dug it out for a new usage.

Absolutely water-proof, and although I don't use it for diving I would trust it to 5 meters. For folks who like to read in the floating lounger in the pool, or in the tub, sitting on the rocks smelling the sea breeze, etc., this is a safe way to do it. Less than $50 USD for a lot of piece of mind.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:21 AM   #2
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
A question about 'collections.'

Why?

Why do you use collections? How will it improve my book reading/handling? How do you recomend (if you do recomend,) setting them up?
Thanks.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:52 AM   #3
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Either as lists of 'next to read' or just as a way of keeping a list of a series. You can either do them 'manually' via the Sony software or Calibre will automatically create them using any tags or series you assign the books to within it.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:42 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
That cover looks pretty cool and, I gather from your remarks, quite effective.

I find collections very useful. Makes it a lot easier to the particular book I'm looking for on my reader. Especially now that I've got over 60 on the thing.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:29 PM   #5
bkilian
Zealot
bkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS/505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Why?

Why do you use collections? How will it improve my book reading/handling? How do you recomend (if you do recomend,) setting them up?
Thanks.

Stitchawl
Well, none of the other views allows you to keep Series in order. This becomes important when you're dealing with 13 book series like the Honor Harrington lot.
bkilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:51 PM   #6
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Look like a well built bag, I don't get to the beach much anymore as I often get mistaken for a beached whale and people try to push me off shore. With this bag my reader would stay dry anyway.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:41 PM   #7
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Silly me, I've been using a Ziploc bag. That's a cool cover you have.

re: Collections. My books are sorted by genre. I have over 23 collections and am always adding new ones to keep the Sci Fi separate from the Mystery, the Classics separated from the Poetry, and then there are the collections of Dickins/Wilkie Collins and Jane Austen/Georgette Heyer. Oh, and the Contemporary Romance must be separated from the Historical Romance!
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:48 PM   #8
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Quote:
Why?

I use collection to put series in order and to keep track of my library books and other genres separated. For example, I have a bunch of Temperance Brennan books. So I made a collection called Kathy Reichs (the author) and put the series in order inside the collection. Then I can just read them in order. Originally, I kept having to go to the author's site to figure out which order the books went in and then finding that book. I remember thinking how useless the alphabetical system was (and I think it alpha by author's first name too-- what's up with that??). I don't do that to my paper book! I also made a folder of "chick lit" to keep my various titles of that genre, a pile of "exerpts/free/bargain books" to put the books I downloaded for free from sony connect, or for just $1 to try them out. So some are by genre, some are by circumstance and some are by author (if I have an entire collection). The most used collection, however, is the one titled "library books." I move all my library books in there. They are in order so I can make sure to get to them before they expire. I was so thrilled to discover the collections option. I only use that to find books.

Neat cover- great idea! I haven't read a book in the bath yet. Since the last time I took a bath was when I was in labor with child #3 (who is over 5yo), I doubt I'll do it soon, but I certainly may take the sony to the beach....
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:38 PM   #9
mollybo
Connoisseur
mollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with othersmollybo plays well with others

Device: Rocket eBook, Gemstar, and Kindle 3
We just renovated our bathroom and I'm able to take a bath for the first time in seven years. I used to love reading in the tub, but find physical paperbacks uncomfortable to hold now. I double-bag in ziploc baggies.

Our new tub has an in-line heater so it is always warm. My choice of books and a constant warm tub - what could be better?
mollybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:06 PM   #10
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
I also often read, while sitting and thawing out my frozen bones in the winter, in my hot, clean Japanese bath. When it starts cooling down, I just tap my toe on the re-heat button.
I don't think reading in a western style bath will be quite the same, since you will be lying in your own grime and the water doesn't come up to your chin and there is no re-heat function!
I read in the bath in the sticky summer too! I don't have a pool or a jacuzzi, so what can I do! Door open, music playing, lukewarm water, large fan at full blast angled into the bathroom and a glass of iced tea. DH was at first scandalized at my reading and drinking in the bath, but he has got used to it and puts it down to my gaijin-ness !
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:59 AM   #11
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
There was an excellent tip from Roy White in another thread, https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=14912:

"Put reader in bag not sealed, immerse bag in sink forcing air out making sure the opening was out of water, then sealing bag, WALLA! all the air out."

It 'shrink wraps' the bag to the reader and makes it easier to read through the plastic.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:14 AM   #12
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-650, Apple iPad 3 64GB Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
There was an excellent tip from Roy White in another thread, https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=14912:

"Put reader in bag not sealed, immerse bag in sink forcing air out making sure the opening was out of water, then sealing bag, WALLA! all the air out."

It 'shrink wraps' the bag to the reader and makes it easier to read through the plastic.
Knowing my luck, this would end very very badly.

Can we say 505 Aquarium?
revfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:03 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Why?

Why do you use collections? How will it improve my book reading/handling? How do you recommend (if you do recommend,) setting them up?
Thanks.

Stitchawl
Please see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=411933 as I've started a new thread that is on topic.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:17 PM   #14
bkilian
Zealot
bkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS/505
Quote:
Originally Posted by revfish View Post
Knowing my luck, this would end very very badly.

Can we say 505 Aquarium?
One of the things I did when I had my 500 was to use my wife's vacuum food sealer thingie. It worked amazingly well, except that if you let it vacuum too hard, all the buttons would stay permanently pressed, so you have to stop just before it would stop by itself.

It gives you a really good, completely waterproof, and quite hardy covering that withstood our hot tub just fine.

I haven't had the occasion to do it with the 505, but the weather is getting better, so who knows.
bkilian is offline   Reply With Quote