Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 03:10 PM   #496
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ousia View Post
What I wanted to achieve is a way to apply those fonts when font-variant: small-caps is invoked in the CSS file.

But it seems there is no way to do that. I will have to manually edit every ePub file that contains small caps.
The difficulty is not knowing what css class selector name will be used for smallcaps in your many and varied epubs. I think the best you would be able to do is to add something like the following to your default.css file
Code:
.smallcaps, .smallcaps1, .smallcaps2, .small-caps, .sc, .fsc, .smallCaps, .Smallcaps, .SmallCaps {
    font-family: serifsc, serif;
    font-variant: normal;
    }
where the red bit is a list of the class names you think might have been used. You will catch some that way, but it's obviously guesswork
Old 04-27-2013, 04:45 PM   #497
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ousia View Post
Thanks for your reply, NIck_1964.

I remove the fonts embedded in the ePub using a compression tool and I edit CSS or HTML files with a plain text editor. (I use calibre only for the ebook-viewer [the ePub reader].)

I have added two lines to the default.css file:

Code:
@font-face {font-family: serifsc; font-weight: normal; font-style: normal; src:url(res:///ebook/fonts/../../mnt/sdcard/reader/fonts/FreeSerifSC.ttf);}
@font-face {font-family: serifsc; font-weight: bold; font-style: normal; src:url(res:///ebook/fonts/../../mnt/sdcard/reader/fonts/FreeSerifBoldSC.ttf);}
What I wanted to achieve is a way to apply those fonts when font-variant: small-caps is invoked in the CSS file.

But it seems there is no way to do that. I will have to manually edit every ePub file that contains small caps.
Use sigil, you can edit an ebook without compressing,decompressing,remove fonts or css.
Advert
Old 04-27-2013, 08:15 PM   #498
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
The difficulty is not knowing what css class selector name will be used for smallcaps in your many and varied epubs. I think the best you would be able to do is to add something like the following to your default.css file
Code:
.smallcaps, .smallcaps1, .smallcaps2, .small-caps, .sc, .fsc, .smallCaps, .Smallcaps, .SmallCaps {
    }
where the red bit is a list of the class names you think might have been used. You will catch some that way, but it's obviously guesswork
But you still have to go into the ePub's XML files and convert the smallcaps text to lowercase as the simulated smallcaps use uppercase text. I have never seen simulated smallcaps that are not in uppercase.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:42 PM   #499
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
@JSWolf,

But in post #493 ousia said the text is in lowercase.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:05 PM   #500
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
@JSWolf,

But in post #493 ousia said the text is in lowercase.
Actually, he said...

Quote:
In my ePubs (at least in some of them) the spans marked for the use smallcap font are already in lowercase.
So not all are lowercase. And that means converting the uppercase to lowercase.

There is something wrong with those ePub that have lowercase smallcaps as you cannot simulate smallcaps with lowercase.
Advert
Old 04-28-2013, 06:14 AM   #501
ousia
Enthusiast
ousia writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ousia writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ousia writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ousia writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ousia writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ousia writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ousia writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ousia writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ousia writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ousia writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ousia writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Many thanks your replies, jackie_w, Nick_1964 and JSWolf.

Quote:
Code:
    }
I think it would be easier to edit each file that uses small caps (I don’t have many ones).

What I intended is something like:

Code:
IF font-variant: small-caps
    THEN USE font-family: serifsc
But now I know this is impossible. After all, this is a workaround for a bug in Adobe Reader Mobile and I think that my fix can do the work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_1964 View Post
Use sigil, you can edit an ebook without compressing,decompressing,remove fonts or css.
Thanks for the tip.

I’m fine with 7-Zip in Windows or file-roller in Linux. They do the work for me. Compression and decompression is automatically performed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But you still have to go into the ePub's XML files and convert the smallcaps text to lowercase as the simulated smallcaps use uppercase text. I have never seen simulated smallcaps that are not in uppercase.
Sorry, I’m afraid I haven’t expressed myself in an accurate way.

There is a way to use (not even simulate) small caps with lowercase letters. It requires to create a font that replaces all lowercase glyphs with the small caps ones. And then use that font.

This exactly the way small caps are used in this ePub file.

Quote:
Actually, he said...

Quote:
In my ePubs (at least in some of them) the spans marked for the use smallcap font are already in lowercase.
So not all are lowercase. And that means converting the uppercase to lowercase.
You’re right: not all books are in lowercase. I have books that have faked small caps with all in uppercase characters. But I don’t have problems with this, because I don’t mind that small caps are faked in this case.

What I meant too is that I haven’t checked them all .

Quote:
There is something wrong with those ePub that have lowercase small caps as you cannot simulate small caps with lowercase.
I hope it is clear now how I can be achieved. I’m not faking smallcaps, I’m using the real glyphs.

Many thanks again for all your replies.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:46 PM   #502
leo007
leo007 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS T1
EReader June

I personaly think that the information bar (in EReader June) is to hight for the page number & clock, how to make it shorter? Thank you very much
Old 05-30-2013, 11:28 PM   #503
gonzule
before sleep, read or TV?
gonzule began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankynov View Post
I saw that there was a new firmware recently : 1.0.05.11130
I just wanted to know, is the "June Reader" with the flicker free pages turning still compatible with this firmware without rooting ?
i would like to know the same. last time i rooted i started having some issues with the dictionary (a long time ago), Now i installed 1.0.05.11130 and the dictionary problems are solved (and the device became un rooted), but i miss the clock adn battery indicators at the bottom
Old 07-11-2013, 03:13 AM   #504
keba
keba began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Hi, I was wondering if it was possible to add RTL support to the modified reader. In normal html documents, this is done by either using

Quote:
<body dir="rtl">
or in the .css file:
Quote:
direction: rtl; /* Right to left */
I was hoping it would be possible to add this. Essentially, only the letter order has to be reversed, and the standard alignment is to be switched to right, although this needs to be done for "justified" alignment too. Then, the missing fonts for those languages could simply be integrated in the epub file. Is that possible?
Old 11-27-2013, 05:31 AM   #505
bartch
bartch began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-t1
Quote:
That sounds encouraging for rooted users Something extra, and vital, included in the non-root install procedure, it seems.
Strange, when I installed the Unrooted version on my rooted reader (btw, i also repartitioned my prs-t1), I only got the clock after a reboot, but the partly refresh options were gone..as if only a part of the XML config file was reloaded.
I think that the programs installed in Dalvik cache take over again after a reboot/reset..
So, i openend the system/app map with ES explorer and deleted the ebookReader.apk and ebookReader.odex, installled the modified APK again, and now everything is working, even after a reboot/reset.

Grtz
Bart
Old 12-14-2013, 07:13 AM   #506
michailbachtin
Enthusiast
michailbachtin is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.michailbachtin is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.michailbachtin is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.michailbachtin is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.michailbachtin is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.michailbachtin is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.michailbachtin is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.michailbachtin is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.michailbachtin is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.michailbachtin is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.michailbachtin is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Sony PSR-1
I have been anxiously awaiting the new version of the JuneReader software that removes the 200 character highlighting limit for non-DRM material. Have I missed the download somewhere? I really need it for academic work.

I would be thankful for any info on this topic.
Closed Thread